LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 03-24-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
Greg G
User

Post AKAH Holster Question

I have a '36 Mauser Banner Commercial Luger and recently purchased a black AKAH holster which I was told by the fairly well known and reputable internet dealer was a commercial holster. The holster arrived and I took it over to a dealer friend who deals in this kind of thing and he called b.s. on it. He said it is a WWI military holster. It has the AKAH crest on the back with no other discernible markings anywhere. He said that inside the flap is usually a small round stamp that identifies it as military but the stamps are usually unreadable or in the case of mine, not seen. There is some glazing on the leather that could have covered such a stamp. The holster has the WWI style single stiching on the back with the hinge for the flap exposed and is a little smaller than a Third Reich period holster. I paid $325 for the holster and my friend said it is only worth around $200. I relayed this back to the guy I bought the holster from and he said AKAH did not make holsters during WWI and that none were sold to the military.

I'm kind of in the middle here and was wondering what some of you holster experts think. My digital camera is not good with close-ups but I
will give it a try.
Thanks,
Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 10:26 PM   #2
G.W. Gill
User

Page 142 in Walter's Luger Book states " Surprisingly, no letter code has been associated..., suggesting that its products were actually made by subcontractors." They made mil., pol. and comm. holsters. From what I have read your's is good. I am no expert, however, my name is Greg G.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 10:32 PM   #3
policeluger
RIP

I have one AKAH holster, no other code markings, was a commerical and was period refitted too a police front closing strap. Has "H.P." on leading edge of holster body that is covered by flap when closed, rather plum color and came with a correct period tool about 2 years ago for $150....$325 or so for a minty correct holster sounds good.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 10:23 AM   #4
Greg G
User

Thanks, "Greg G" and policeluger.
The holster is not in mint condition but very nice. Other than the AKAH crest with the crossed rifles, there are no other marks anywhere. The price may be high but try to find a commercial holster and you will find people just won't let go of them. Regarding the comment one guy made about AKAH not selling military holsters, it just doesn't make sense for a company that sells holsters to not want to get in on police and military sales also. My friend has agreed to take the holster with him to the big Tulsa gun show in April and run it by Bob Whittington if he is there. Maybe I can get some "closure" on it.
Unread 03-27-2003, 12:59 AM   #5
G.W. Gill
User

Greg G., I think we would be interested in what they say. If you can, please post a picture or two. Thanks.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2003, 09:49 AM   #6
Greg G
User

Greg,
Turns out, the dealer I bought the holster from was a contributor to Whittington's Vol 3. He said Bob put twenty of his holsters in the book. Anyway, he called Bob himself and asked him about the holster as he was mad that my friend called b.s. on the holster being commercial. He said Bob said "Bull****, no way that holster is military!" "They didn't make any that were military." Bob hasn't seen the holster. It is a standard looking , black, WWI pattern holster with the AKah crest on the back between the straps that they believe was made during the Weimar era. There are no marks, stamps or anything else but the crest anywhere on the holster. I will take some pics of it but until I buy some close-up lenses for my camera any attempts at detail would be disappointing.