LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 07-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
Hairy
User

Default Dumb Question

How does one tell where a frame was manufactured? I've looked at the proof marks but can't determine if Erfurt or DWM or Mauser had specific ones assigned to them. Is there a way?
Hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
drbuster
User

Hairy, there are no dumb questions, just people ignorant of the answers! Yes there are many ways to tell the differences. If you have access to Randall Gibson's book "The Krieghoff Parabellum", start reading on page 27. He goes through metal thicknesses, machining differences, proof marks, etc, all you would want. To explain it all here would make a very long posting!
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Hairy,

If you are speaking strictly of frames "proof marks" are of little use as they were stamped primarily on receivers, barrels, and breechblocks.

An Erfurt frame will have an Imperial inspection mark, a crown-over-letter, stamped on the front of the trigger guard, and very likely (but not always) a crown-over-RC stamp somewhere else on the frame. (C/letter marks are also found on most other parts of the other parts of an Erfurt-manufacturerd Luger.)

Simson and Krieghoff Lugers will be found stamped similarly to Erfurts, Simson usually with an eagle/6 and Krieghoff with an eagle/2.

Regrettably there is no corresponding method of differentiating DWM frames from Mauser frames, as neither manufacturer stamped identifying marks on their frames. If you can directly compare the two you will find that the font style for the frame serial numbers are different, and likely struck to a different depth, but this is not a reliable identifier while observing any given frame.

If you are examining a frame complete with its small parts, and are certain that it has not been refinished, you will find that DWM frames, without exception, are rust blued with polished-white interior surfaces and strawed trigger, takedown lever, and magazine release. Mausers from mid-1938 on are salt blued, with blued interior surfaces and blued trigger, takedown lever, and magazine release. "Original finish" is the key here, and it is no help with Mauser Lugers 1934-1938.

If you are simply examining an unmarked Luger frame I'm afraid that, as drbuster pointed out, Gibson's forensic descriptions are your only recourse.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Hairy
User

Thanks guys for the info.

I checked on buying the Kreighoff Parabellum but at over $160, forgitboutit.

I was just wondering whether or not there was a way but short of doing the forensic determinations, won't bother no more!
Unread 07-15-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Hairy, Simpsons' LTD still has them for around $59 plus shipping, http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...products_id=33

I found it a worthwhile book.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 06:50 PM   #6
Hairy
User

Default Dumb Questions

Thanks for the info, Ed; just placed an order for the book.