LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 03-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #21
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

It is alleged that a NYC permit involves a hefty (perhaps $3000) honorarium to the right party via lawyers that are particularly versed in the process.

I never had to do it, but then again, neither did Bernie Goetz... and look what happened to him!

Bernie was from near where I lived in Dutchess County. He had a business of buying and selling surplus electronic instruments and carried large amounts of cash around Manhattan and the rest of NYC.

He was attacked, permanently injured and saw his mugger get off with a slap on the hand.

By any accounts, he should have qualified for the NYC carry permit. He refused to pay the required honorarium, and never received one.

Subsequently he defended himself from an attack with an unregistered handgun, and suffered massive consequences.

Marc
Unread 03-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #22
hansfischer007
User

Default Bernie Goetz.?

Whatever happened to him after that "shootout" on the subway...?...I remember reading about it but it must have been years ago.........didnt he say something to one of the thugs that robbed him...after shooting him once..."oh you want another one.?"....and I believe that one of the robbers sued him.......////..over a year ago....a bunch of kids were playing "mailbox baseball" out in the country near here....one of them leaned out the window...swung his bat at a mailbox....it happened to be made of a hard plastic.....the bat bounced back and hit the car.......the mother of the boy wanted to sue the homeowner for damage to her car.......now figure that one out..!!!...
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #23
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Bernard Gietz ended up in the electronics retail business, something about "Vigalante" in the name of his store. Read something about him a couple of years ago.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #24
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Here's the latest on the saga concerning obtaining a carry permit in Schuyler County, NY.
Over the weekend I finished collecting my four required character references, so off I went to the County Cler's office with my completed application papers.
I paid $10 for 4 digital pics of me, which were stapled to the other papers. Next, I did a traditional right thumb print on a paper form that I hope will become my actual physical permit. I happened to ask the lady if she knew on what basis a permit could be denied. She replied that the judge would turn it down if the applicant had a felony on record. "Felons aren't even permitted to own a gun in this state," I said. "Yes, but they try anyway," she said.
I was given a printed handout with instructions for making an appointment with L1-ESD, a firm that has several offices in the Finger Lakes area and does digital fingerprinting. (The county clerk had mentioned that the switch from traditional fingerprinting to those taken by a scanner for processing, had reduced the application processing time from 6-8 months down to just a couple.) They had an open appointment time in the next village over, but not expecting to need it so soon, I hadn't brought my passport--the second official photo I.D.--so I scheduled to allow time to nip back east about 15 miles and back to get it.
Right on time, I presented myself to a sheriff's deputy at the entrance to what is basically a big county municipal building. He set me aside for a minute while he finished metal-scanning some other people who were entering, then took me into a small office adjoining the lobby. He scanned my ID's and did the full set of fingerprints for me. It was a lot neater than when I was printed back in the 70's by the NYS Dept of Health, which oversaw funeral direcrot apprenticeships; in fact he handed me a giant wet-wipe before we started. The machine rejected a couple of individual prints and all that was necessary was to re-scan them--no wasted paper.
Well, the administrative part is all done on my end. Theoretically, I should receive my license in a couple of months, after it is approved by the judge.
I hope this tale has been helpful to other New Yorkers who endeavor to make manifest their second amendment rights. Remember, this is one county out of dozens, and though the core of this experience will work about the same for others pistol owners, aspects of your county's background check may differ. I'll let y'all know when the actual permit arrives; then I can begin my time as a collector.
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 inch, 9mm, a eagle, early lugers, wtb