LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-26-2001, 08:48 PM   #1
Uncle Mike
User

Default Luger condition: REDUX

Hi,A few days ago we had a discussion about Dealers/Fakes/Enhanced condition and just plain what does it mean by:Excellent/98% condition etc.I have been on a long vacation and have been searching for lugers to add to my collection.I have recently ,in the last week looked at quite a few pistols.I would like to tell you my findings.If a dealer advertises excellent condition,98%,excelent bore and grips and you find 90% condition and replacement stocks I get a little bit perturbed.I think the difference between 98% and 95% can be a matter of opinion.Therefore the difference between 98% and 90% and any unmatched or refinished parts can be false advertisement.There are some great dealers and collectors out there but;I don't care how nice he is if I send it back it costs me if I travel to see it,it costs me also.I don't like the "don't worry I'll make it good;if you don't like it" guy when its my SHIPPING COSTS.Thanks

Unread 07-26-2001, 10:59 PM   #2
DAVID
User

Default Re: Wont be buying anymore on the net.

I like lugers. But as of this month. I have lost over $100.00 in shipping guns back that had problems or were not as advertised. I am on a limited buget and can only afford a luger once in a while. So from now on I will not buy a luger that I have not seen in person without shipping or travel except to the regional shows that I attend. This hundred dollars constituted 10 percent of my alloted purchase money for a nice commercial luger. my 2.5 cents. David.

Unread 07-27-2001, 12:08 AM   #3
Don
User

I think this really argues for some sort of mechanism for warning Forum members about some of the sharks out there -- and I've been bitten also. Don't know how to accomplish that, and I think that the general sentiment is to avoid turning the Forum into a venue for people to argue about a transaction gone sour. Wish I could come up with a creative idea!

Unread 07-27-2001, 12:21 AM   #4
BILL
User

Whether thru Shotgun News, The Gun List or any internet auction or a mail order dealer, there is a huge risk of not getting what you want. This is true for everything you could buy sight unseen. How many adds have you seen in Shotgun News that tell you to steer clear of a dealer or parts house? If you order something out of Shotgun News and it isn't what you want and you try to return it and can't, do you take out an add in SGN? I have never, ever seen anything even similar to that. Here is the overarching caveat for all who buy sight unseen "You are taking a chance of losing money".

Unread 07-27-2001, 11:29 AM   #5
Don Leverty

I may be out of step with the rest of the members, and I'll let it drop. However, I don't think that the analogy with SGN holds. The internet is a totally different medium. There are a lot articles speculating about whether it will displace traditional newspapers, magazines, etc. For better or worse, it empowers everybody. It used to be that we had "Freedom of the Press" -- but only if you could afford to buy a printing press! Now anybody can at least attempt to reach a mass audience with their ideas, comments, political ideology, etc.

What I'm trying to say is: You're right; it's not practical to take out an ad in SNG protesting some vendor, but I don't think the Forum is analagous.

OK, I've said my piece, and since I can't come up with any bright ideas for how we could make this work, I'll shut up. Thanks.