LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default GT-S/T P.08 big picture!

Hello to all, and a very sincere thanks to the members that have ordered a GT-S/T barrel from G.T. Specialties.... I really want to thank Olle as well, as his skill on the mill has made this possible for all of us... But, here is what is planned for the future.... The GT-S/T barrels final dimensions will probably NOT change after this first batch is made... the reason is two fold, one is cost, remember the initial project goal was to offer an affordably alternative to the run of the mill Luger barrel, and the second is ease of manufacture? Most consumers don't realize that the simplest change can sometimes be a real bad dream for a machinist!!! When we nail down a design that's going to be it! If you want to customize it from there, you certainly have my blessing.... But, we are going to soon finalize a design and such will be our offering...
That being said, the remaining challenge is to design and offer a matching rear sight / toggle that both keeps with the original intent on value, and also offers a quality match for the GT-S/T barrels as well... I am working on the rear sight diligently with another forum member, and we will have results soon.... We at G.T. Specialties, are under skilled, lacking necessary machines, and are for the most part, broke all the time.... but, we offset all of that with stubbornness.... And maybe that is our best asset!... Best to all, til...lat'r.....GT ...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 05-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Olle
User

And I would like to add that I have tried different ways of milling the profiles, but I can't deviate much from the prototype due to the size of my mill. I have a few designs drawn up in CAD, but the only one that can be made with reasonable effort is the one you saw on Ed's gun.

I could let my local machine shop do more complicated cuts, but the idea is to keep the cost down so that kinda limits the creativity. I have been looking at buying a larger knee mill, but right now it's just a plan for the future.
The following 3 members says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default machine work!

Hi Olle, You and I have certainly discussed at length what we would like to try, but now that we are actually on course to make a few barrels, the style and cut on the first 4" prototype will be our standard... It fits ALL of our criteria.. and looks pretty nice /neat, as well, (form follows function!) ........ I am very happy with your work and effort on this project and in the process, some forum members well acquire some very unique shooters... More neat stuff to come... but, for now, I've got a mountain of drum mags to attend to!........ Best to all, til...lat'r....GT......
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Ollie,
thanks for your effort in this barrel project!
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post: