LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-10-2003, 10:16 AM   #1
trigger643
User

Post something old, something new...

9's ac43 p.38, s/42 p.08, c96 Red Nine, Sig226...45's Clark's Custom Colt Govt. Hard Ball delivered June 1968, Clark's mild custom Ser.70 Govt, Colt M1917, HK Tactical. HiStandard HD Military, Colt Pre-woodsman circa 1927, Sig-Hammerli Trailside-Target.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Nice, rounded collection,
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
Stevie
User

Which one of your old military blasters do you like to shoot most? Which one of the newer guns?

We share some of the same likes in firearms.

Cool stuff... Stevie.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 06:42 PM   #4
trigger643
User

I like them all and for different reasons. I won't own a gun I won't shoot. And I won't own a gun that shoots poorly or isn't interesting to me. That doesn't mean I shoot all of them regularly. But the ones that do make it to the range often are the Tactical, Sig226, Sig-Hammerli, 1968 Clark (Kimber, Baer, Wilson and the whole custom 1911 industry owe a lot to the man that built this gun, and 35 years later I wouldn't hesitate to put it up against any of the new customs -- I traded a NIB Series 70 MkIV Govt circa 1970 for it last year, as I was hated the idea of owning such a thing and the guilt that would come should I scratch it), the pre-woodsman and a walther P.22 target and a hammerli 280 that aren't shown. My fascination is currently focused on the c96, my newest addition, and perhaps the most unique and collectible weapon that I own and the one with the most mystery to me. I won't be shooting this one much, though it is extremely accurate. Nor do I shoot the P.38 or the P.08 often, though they are a pleasure. The Series 70 MkIV Govt. with mild customization by Clark, is my personal carry weapon. The Sig226 is the most shot and longest owned (I've had it for almost 20 years and 25,000 rounds -- never a failure or breakage). I'd have to say the Colt M1917 is probably the war dog I enjoy shooting the most for accuracy and reliability, but it is big and heavy. It has the best trigger of the Military weapons. The Tactical is the one I'd take from the modern. The trigger is the same as the HK Expert (also not shown), and it is also very accurate (though a little big to the hand, it is well balanced).

Unread 05-10-2003, 09:35 PM   #5
trigger643
User

Rick, there is a guy out in california that will pay a minimum of $1,000 for a Clark Custom. He's offered me $1,500 for the 1968 (it was a full custom for the time and too many details to go into here). The Series 70 was a mild job done to customer request, ambi safety, trigger, ramp, sights and tune, so it doesn't have the Clark name, but does have his mark inside (and I have the paperwork). Clark had 3 addresses, the first was Shreveport (when he worked out of his house and the tailgate of his truck at the matches), and the 1968 is one of these. In the 70's he was south of town, in Stonewall, I believe (but am probably wrong), and since the 1980's he's been in Princeton LA (he died a couple years ago and his son now has the shop and his daughter has a store in Bossier). $750.00 would be a good price for any Clark in reasonable condition. The Series 70 belonged to a local law enforcement, got carried alot, but seldom shot. The 1968 came from an estate and probably had less than 100 rounds through it when I got it and it is as fine as they came from that vintage.