LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 06-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #1
MG
User

Post Colt 32

Hello all,
I was offered an 1906 Colt New model police 32 with original grips for $450.00 US. The gun has been a safe from when it was bought and looks unused. No scratches on gun or chamber(has not been turned)and the grips are PERFECT.No cracks,
chips, ware marks anything. Finish looks like it is a salt blue type and has a nice over all patina. I wish my 42BYF looked as good. So is there anyone here know about Colts? I for one do not but I feel this one is worth more than he is asking for.

Thank you

Michael
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2003, 10:07 PM   #2
Jim Keenan
User

I assume it is a Colt New Police. Those guns were made in .32 Colt (no longer available) and .32 Colt New Police (same as .32 S&W). In very good (90-95% original finish) they are worth that price, at least by the books. But there is not a screaming demand and it might be possible to get a better deal.

You say the finish looks like a tank (salt) blue; it should be a mirror-like black finish which can sort of seem like tank blue, but looks quite different to those who know what the old Colts looked like.

Jim
Jim Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2003, 10:35 PM   #3
MG
User

Hello Jim,

I guess I said the wrong type of finish as I do not know what type it is. It is not the mirror dark blue/black that my other colt has, but could be if it was cleaned?. It looks sorta like one of my Lugers or my Broomhandle as it looks like a dark patina all over, but the lighting was not that good(it just may need to be cleaned like my colt did). I would say NRA very good or better as to finish. I was told it was made/bought around 1906.

Thank you
Michael
Unread 06-10-2003, 11:23 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
Michael, Colt blue at that time is so distinctive that if you do not recognize it immediately apon viewing the pistol somebody is pulling your leg.This pistol should have the most beautiful mirror blue you have ever seen and the smaller parts should stand out as a fire blue if it is as you say. Get it out and look it over carefully. Old Colt pistols made during this era were meticulously crafted and the blue Colt put on them is famous and will never be replicated in mass production again. Sadly many modern pistols today are spray painted now. Jerry Burney

As Jim Keenan says there is not a screaming demand for this type of pistol that I know about. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
MG
User

I have not been back to look over the gun again, but I did write down the writing on the barrel and it said: Colt New model Police 32 on it.it is not right or is it something differant? It was a five shot cilinder and look like it hadn't been wipe down in years. The more I think about it the finish was dark blue but it was not mirror like. Could this be because it was left in vault and not oiled in years, or should it still have a mirror finish. I have a friend with a early Colt so I now know what it should look like now that I seen his.

Michael