LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 10-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
robbt
User

Default reloading my 9mm 1939 Mauser luger with lead bulets

hi guys , I just aquired a old 9mm 1939 Mauser luger , any tips on reloading would be appreciated I plan using WW231 and cast lead 124 gr [ they actually weigh about 130 grs] round nose any one else try 231 ??
I have been told to try 4 grs of 231 , the luger is tight and in very ggod + condition , any hints would be apprecited , many thanks, robbt

robbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Do NOT load your rounds hot, as the Luger does not need/want hot loads. I do not load with that powder, so someone that does can offer more help.

Last edited by rhuff; 10-28-2012 at 05:53 PM.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 10-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
swampsavage
User

I handload for many rifle and pistol calibers. I don't use any loads that "somebody told me about". Before loading anything I studied several manuals from different bullet and powder companies and never started with maximum loads. There are too many dangers with loads that are too hot, and also ones that are below minimum (detonation).
Unread 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Robert,

Go by the loading books. Hodgen's book or Lyman's should have something on LRN with various powders.

I use 231, but mainly with revolvers. I've been loading Titegroup for 9mm.

As a general rule, start near the minimum recommended load. If it functions at that level, don't go higher. And, of course, never exceed the max load in the books.

Your Luger looks to be in very good condition. If all matching, and original finish it is likely collectable. Keep in mind that breaking a numbered part considerably impacts it's value (both financial and historic).

Marc
Unread 10-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Sieger
User

Hi:

If you search my name, you will find several outstanding loads for the Luger, both in FMJ and lead. When I say outstanding, I mean 6 or 7 to one hole at 25 yards (over a sand bag).

Your powder is a bit too fast for best accuracy and function in a Luger. My best lead bullet powder, to date, has been AA#5 (Accurate #5). With this powder and 124 gr. RCBS TC bullets, I can shoot 6 or 7 to one hole all day long. Here is the load.

RCBS 124 gr., TC sized to .356. Over all length (critical) is 29mm.
WWC surplus cases, standard small pistol primers.
5.4 grs. of AA#5.

Again, Lugers "prefer" medium burn powders, why, I really don't know or even care, as I have learned never to argue with success.

Regarding over all length, I also have a thread on setting this up properly for the particular bullet you are using. With a Luger, over all length of the cartridge is critical to proper, jam free, operation.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with questions.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 01-12-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Sieger / Rick, time for me to try the slower burn powder. I'll be on the lookout for some AA#5 and / or Unique at the next shows...

It's rare to find the truncated cone bullets here, and I don't have the mold yet.

What do you use for lubrication? (I know I should look at the postings)...

Marc
Unread 10-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Sieger
User

Rick:

Here are a couple of answers for you:

I lube my bullets with the old NRA formula 50/50 Beeswax and Alox. This formula has worked just great for me for 30 years.

For me, Blue Dot is not an accurate powder in a 4 inch Luger. If you are going to be using your Luger for a flare pistol as well, shoot off a couple of Blue Dot loads at night and you will see what I mean. Also, for me, Blue Dot in an 8 inch Luger is not all that accurate either.

When I first started reloading for Lugers, some 30 years ago, I started out using Unique, but found it really dirty. The newer formula is said to be better, but I haven't tried it.

For FMJ full power loads that function your Luger and are highly accurate, nothing has proven better for me than Power Pistol or SR4756. See my earlier post for specifics.

For a nice light target load that will still perfectly function your Luger, try 124 gr. bullets with 3.7 grs of Bullseye. This is a one holer load.

A good starting place for round nose bullet cartridge OAL is 1.173 inches. Again OAL is critical for proper function!!!

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 10-31-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
JD
User

Rick,

My experience with Blue Dot is much different than Sieger's. In my guns, Blue Dot provides accuracy and reliability that I have not been able match with the several dozen other powders I've tried over the years, however I have only used it for loads with jacketed bullets in the 9mm. There is a bit more muzzle flash than some other powders, but I don't find it all that bad or objectionable. In my lugers, and my Browning Hi-Power GP Comp groups usually run under one inch at 25 yards when I do my job (harder to do each year as my eyes get older...). In my Sigs and CZ's my loads with Blue Dot group around 1.5 inches or so, but these guns are not capable of the same accuracy that I can get out of my lugers and Browning GP Comp. Some of my guns prefer 115 grain bullets and some shoot better with 124 grain bullets, all loaded towards the long side of allowable overall length. So far my records show that I've gone through more than 50 pounds of Blue Dot, and haven't found anything better to switch too... I use a lot of AA5 and Unique powder too, but for me, I've found them best in the 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 44 Special.

Sieger has lots of experience in loading / shooting, and offers excellent advise for the readers here. Just goes to show that everyone has their own experiences, and what works best for one person may not be the best for someone else. Best thing is to try different loads and see what works for you.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to JD for your post:
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Over the years, I have found that for the 30 Luger round I have been pleased with:

(1) 93gr LRN bullet and Bullseye powder

(2) 86gr FMJ bullet and Red Dot powder

For the 9mm Luger rounds, I use :

(1) 115gr FMJ bullet and Unique

(2) 115gr Plated and FMJ bullet and Power Pistol powder

These combinations seem to work the best for me in my Lugers. I wish that I could say that they shoot a 1 in. group at 25 yards, but my hands and eyes are not capable of that degree of accuracy, so I have no idea if my reloads are capable of that degree of accuracy.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #10
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Rick,

My experience with Blue Dot is much different than Sieger's. In my guns, Blue Dot provides accuracy and reliability that I have not been able match with the several dozen other powders I've tried over the years, however I have only used it for loads with jacketed bullets in the 9mm. There is a bit more muzzle flash than some other powders, but I don't find it all that bad or objectionable. In my lugers, and my Browning Hi-Power GP Comp groups usually run under one inch at 25 yards when I do my job (harder to do each year as my eyes get older...). In my Sigs and CZ's my loads with Blue Dot group around 1.5 inches or so, but these guns are not capable of the same accuracy that I can get out of my lugers and Browning GP Comp. Some of my guns prefer 115 grain bullets and some shoot better with 124 grain bullets, all loaded towards the long side of allowable overall length. So far my records show that I've gone through more than 50 pounds of Blue Dot, and haven't found anything better to switch too... I use a lot of AA5 and Unique powder too, but for me, I've found them best in the 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 44 Special.

Sieger has lots of experience in loading / shooting, and offers excellent advise for the readers here. Just goes to show that everyone has their own experiences, and what works best for one person may not be the best for someone else. Best thing is to try different loads and see what works for you.
Hi:

I'd be interested in your specific 9mm loads with Blue Dot.

Sieger
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
JD
User

Seiger,

My normal shooting load consists of 7.5 grains of Blue Dot with either a Remington 115 grain jacketed hollow point, a Remington 124 grain JHP, or a Hornady 124 grain FMJ truncated cone. The 115 and 124 grain bullets are loaded to an overall loaded length of 1.120 to 1.130 inches (When using fmj round nose bullets, I like a overall loaded length of 1.170 inches). Velocities run around 1170 fps for the 115 grain load and 1100 fps for the 124 grain load from my Sig 226. Bullet shape effects the velocity and when using Remington 115 grain fmj round nose bullets, which have smaller bearing surface, the velocity is 1085 fps.

I also use 8.0 grains of Blue Dot with the Remington 115 grain JHP, but not in my lugers. My Browning Hi-Power GP Comp likes the 8.0 grain load better than the lighter load. This load produces around 1400 fps out of the long barrel of the GP Comp (It surprised the heck out of me the first time I chonographed it...). The Remington jacketed hollow points feed perfectly in my lugers, though who knows if they will feed in everyone else's...

Different guns seem to prefer different loads. Some of my guns shoot substantially better with one bullet weight over the other, but I've standardized on these loads because I can almost always get one of them to shoot well out of almost anything.

Please note that I use Dillion dies, which size the case quite a bit and produce a "wasp-waist" looking cartridge. I have found that when using dies that don't size the case so agressively, the powder charges must be increased slightly to get the same velocity.

Sieger already know this, but to anyone else, please pay attention to the overall loaded length. Loading to shorter length increases pressure very quickly, and it also adversely effects functioning, especially in lugers. The Hornady manual lists overall loaded lengths for the 124 grain truncated cone bullet that are ridiculously short and would most likely cause pressure problems with the loads listed above.

Seiger, if I can provide additional information, please do ask. I can try to answer when I'm at home and have my reloading records available.

Last edited by JD; 11-03-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Update with information from my reloading records at home
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to JD for your post: