LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 10-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #21
m1903a3
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
I would not send 6 million to their death in concentration camps.

And do we have any evidence of U-boats with Red Cross flags being sunk by the Royal Navy? There were protocols for exchanging prisoners.
Sunk? Not that I know of. But you should read about the Laconia Incident, when the Brits suckered the US into bombing one that was displaying a red cross, had a deck full of civilian survivors and was towing several lifeboats.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
m1903a3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #22
Heinz
User

Mike, thank you for the reference. I looked it up on Wikipedia then chased down some of their references.
The Americans do not appear to have been duped. The orders were given by the Americans knowing the sub was offering aid the shipwrecked victims by an American officer who said he did not think the sub was could legally fly a Red Cross flag. I wonder if he was influenced by the opinion that most of the survivors were Italian POWs of the British. I could find nothing on that aspect other than the Brits noted many survivors were POWs. when they informed the Americans.

So, bad call on the US part.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #23
m1903a3
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
Mike, thank you for the reference. I looked it up on Wikipedia then chased down some of their references.
The Americans do not appear to have been duped. The orders were given by the Americans knowing the sub was offering aid the shipwrecked victims by an American officer who said he did not think the sub was could legally fly a Red Cross flag. I wonder if he was influenced by the opinion that most of the survivors were Italian POWs of the British. I could find nothing on that aspect other than the Brits noted many survivors were POWs. when they informed the Americans.

So, bad call on the US part.
The Americans returned for a second attack. That was absolutely all on them. But the Brits are the ones who notified the US that the Laconia was sunk by submarine and omitted the information that Hartenstein had radioed in the clear that he was picking up survivors and would not attack any vessels that came to their aid.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
m1903a3 is offline   Reply With Quote