LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 01-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
the_rookie
New User

Default handed down Stoeger

im sad to say that my great uncle is getting pretty old and preparing for the end of life. in this he is going through all of his belongings and giving them to family members. ( he wants to make sure that people get what he wants them to get instead of leaving a will and letting his wife do it)

anyways, to the point. for christmas this year very much to my supprise he gave me a navy model luger made by stoeger. im not new to firearms but i am new to lugers. was just wondering if anyone had some info on this pistol or if someone could give me a link.

he also told me that there is a defect from the factory with this particular gun. apparently when fired the small lever just above and forward of the trigger swings open. i think it may just be a weak tention spring but i really dont know. i have not fired the pistol yet.
thanks for any help.

-rookie
the_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

damian, welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about your uncle, although happy that he is doing it right and giving items to those he loves.

I am guessing this is a new (i.e. made by Mauser in the 1970's) luger?

Can you provide pictures of it, all sides, front of rame etc. and show us the defective part in the pictures? Scanning in with a scanner or digital camera would be good.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Damian,

I lost my last uncle last week. A fine man who served with honor in WW2... I understand how your uncle must feel getting ready for the end of this life... hopefully he was ready for the next one... My Dad and personal hero is 86... I am not ready to lose him yet either...

Now to your potential problem...
I suspect that the spring that holds the takedown lever has been bent by improper assembly, or just lost. I live in Winchester... and I would be happy to examine the gun for you and determine the problem...

Welcome to the Lugerforum.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
the_rookie
New User

well i test fired it today and the problem that my uncle told me about did not happen so i guess i can forget about that. i will take some pics when i can. its made in the usa but still has the luger logo. on top of the chamber there is an eagle stamped. on the right side eched in gold it says
"STOEGER IND. AMERICAN EAGLE" then directly below that is says
"cal. 9mm LUGER NAVY"
on the same side of the pistol right above the grips "aimco inc. houston texas" is stamped

on the oposite side of the pistol is the gold "LUGER" logo and underneeth that is small letters is "Reg. US PAT. OFF"
the letter "N" is first in the serial number.

that is all i can think to tell you of right now untill i get pics. this is a beautiful firearm and has superb craftmanship. i now see why lugers have their place in history.

John: i go to school at rosedale christian academy in winchester. im not sure if the problem is still there or not but if you would check it out i would be very greatfull. im not sure when though. im coming to town tomarow morning for marine training. not sure when ill be finished though.
the_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
Navy
RIP

Hi Damian,

Those newly manufactured stainless Lugers are subject to having the takedown latch spring release during firing and also will occasionally have the toggle axel attempt to slide out when the cannon is out of battery during the recoil cycle. AIMCO will repair this defect for a nominal sum. Contact Mr Romo, who is the head fred down there. I am sorry that I do not have contact info.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote