LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
TNSTAAFL
User

Default Suggestions for a reliable shooter?

New member here - and thanks in advance for any guidance! I've always liked the look and operational aspects of the Luger pistols - my "experiment" with a couple of Stoeger Lugers in 22LR was disappointing - my two had feeding and reliability problems - constant headaches - but I still like Lugers, so I'm looking for a "real" shooter Luger, if I can find one that'll meet my criteria:
  1. I want a reliable shooter - I'm not interested in a collectible pistol that'd best be kept in the safe
  2. I'm not at all focused on Nazi markings or wartime memorabilia - in fact, I'd prefer one without those markings
  3. Magazines - since one of the many problems I had with the Stoegers was magazine related, I want at least 2-3 original magazines, unless there are after-market, recently manufactured RELIABLE mags available
  4. it'll shoot modern 9mm ammo - I don't want to have to get into an additional caliber at this point
  5. parts probably won't be cheap, but they should at least be available

Looking forward to your thoughts, and thanks again !
TNSTAAFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
HerrKaiser
User

If you want a reliable shooter, then you're likely looking for a refinished or nickled/chromed military gun that is still all matching parts. Commercials in 9mm are relatively uncommon and usually not in "shooter" condition. Something like this one for sale is probably up your alley (on the other Luger forum).

https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...romed-1917-DWM

If the above does not tickle your fancy, hang around the forum as members regularly post Lugers for sale, including shooters.

As for magazines, it is not recommended that you use originals. They have collector value in their own right, and the wood bottom mags from an imperial or Weimar gun after 90+ years may fail/break as they have aged and gotten more brittle. Most of us here recommend Mec-Gar magazines. They are reliable and I use three of them for my own shooting purposes.

Happy hunting and welcome to the forum!

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

You may need to ease up on your criterion #2. The easiest available 9mm shooters will be WWII military Lugers.

I recommend staying away from chrome- or nickel-plated pistols. In practical shooting they are hard on the eye.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 08-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Best bet is an East German rework.
George Anderson is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to George Anderson for your post:
Unread 08-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Unless you have spare parts, then any luger might have problems that is not matching (even then), ask them if they have shot it, as most mismatched or under $1,000 will get the moniker of 'shooter'.

I have had perfectly nice DWM and Erfurts that were great shooters, all pre-WW2 - many folks like the 'newer' Mauser made lugers, supposed better made / supposed better metrology - I personally don't think there is a huge difference.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 08-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
TNSTAAFL
User

Thanks for the guidance! I'm happy to hear that magazines are available from MecGar ! Say I focus on an East German re-work gun - are parts readily available for these guns?
Unread 08-17-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

You might also look into a post WW ll Mauser (1970s version). They make good shooters, and are "fairly" new.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Mongrel dog shooter!

Hi Joe, If you can locate a frame in good condition, we / I, in conjunction with your desires and input, can build you a nice 9MM or .30 Cal. shooter! It can be made from all sorts of Luger spare parts, of which I have most all?.. I would be inclined to help you out on this project as I have most of the stuff, and would like to share in the fun! Let me know, I have several references from this forum and feel capable of doing the job correctly... if so interested, email me at: gctomeks@msn.com Best to all, til.....lat'r.....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 12 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 08-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Joe,
G.T. is an excellent go to guy and a good friend. You can't go wrong with him, and it will shoot well.
On another note, I thought it was TANSTAAFL (first A = "Ain't")
Ron
Unread 08-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
CptCurl
User

My suggestion for a shooter is to find a good 1920 commercial. They are priced quite reasonably. It's going to be in 7.65mm, but under normal circumstances that ammo is readily available in the U.S.

Instead of a "parts gun" it will be a DWM commercial product. While they aren't quite as spiffy as a pre-WW1 DWM commercial Luger, they aren't shabby. I had one that was my shooter until a friend talked me out of it.

My current shooter is an East German or Russian re-work. It's mostly matching, it's 9mm, and it functions perfectly. In the hand it feels the same as a $7,500 "rare" Luger. Mine cost me about $1,000. Some people report getting one of these for less - I always over-pay.

Finally, G.T. has made you a solid offer that would be hard to turn away from.

You have some good choices. Let us know how this sorts out.

Curl

P.S. Ammo has gone crazy once again. None of the distributors have any 9mm or .45ACP at present. Midway is out also. Late last week I did find a quantity of 7.65mm and lassoed it. I am a fan of the 7.65mm.
CptCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #11
TNSTAAFL
User

"I would be inclined to help you out on this project as I have most of the stuff, and would like to share in the fun!" - WOW, GT, that's quite an offer !!! What a nice guy !!! I will reach out to ya and discuss specifics of what I need to do to get started. WOW - thanks very much!!!
Unread 08-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
TNSTAAFL
User

Ron Wood - "I thought it was TANSTAAFL (first A = "Ain't")" - yeah, I think you're right, but I didn't know that when I first adopted that handle, and I guess I'm stuck with it now - for me, TNSTAAFL embodies many, many truths about life.
The following member says Thank You to TNSTAAFL for your post:
Unread 08-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #13
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default shooter build!

Hi Joe, Happy to help out! It's not my first rodeo, and I have had similar experience with other new Luger enthusiasts and forum members? Actually you really learn a lot about Lugers every time you take on a challenge like we are about to! And, you don't buy a bunch of century old problems.. As we will correct or replace anything that is not up to par! So, the journey begins... Chapter one, "The search for a frame!" Best to all, til.....lat'r.....GT
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 08-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #14
HerrKaiser
User

Joe,

GT sold me my first shooter and I still have it, so far it has had zero issues, functioning as well as my modern handguns with a variety of ammo put through them all at the range. He also has helped to fix a rough magazine I acquired as well as helped me to modify two more to make them extra durable for shooting purposes. You cannot go wrong with him, he is a great guy and an excellent Luger mechanic to boot!

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 08-18-2020, 03:50 AM   #15
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

I agree with using a good 1920 commercial in 7.65mm as a shooter, unfortunately this caliber is generally pretty expensive and a bit more difficult if you reload. Several years ago the only Luger I used as a shooter was a Russian capture 1942 Mauser in cal. 9x21 IMI (only because here the cal. 9 Parabellum is not allowed to the civilian market).
Unread 08-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #16
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

All sound advice.
If you can be a little patient, just watch the trader forum for a offer of a
complete, already test fired and "certified" shooter by a member here.

Several members have offered/sold in the past slightly "ugly" but entirely shootable lugers at a good price,
AND they have shot them and know that they will shoot.

I've sold several, but don't have one I want to let go just now.
Ed may be able to come up with one occasionally also.
Unread 08-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #17
TNSTAAFL
User

LOL, you guys must really 1) love these old guns, and 2) really like helping people! I gotta say, this is one of the friendliest gun forums I've been on! I had a great chat with GT already!

And by the way, if anyone has or notices for sale here one of those "complete, already test fired and "certified" shooter" pistols, please let me know in case I miss it.
The following member says Thank You to TNSTAAFL for your post:
Unread 08-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #18
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSTAAFL View Post
LOL, you guys must really 1) love these old guns.

You will find that Lugers can be quite addicting!!
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 08-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #19
TNSTAAFL
User

I exchanged a few emails and had a couple of phone conversations with G.T. - WOW, what a nice guy! This Luger adventure is gonna be fun !
The following 4 members says Thank You to TNSTAAFL for your post:
Unread 08-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #20
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default So far!

Well, hi to all! So far, We got a stripped frame coming from a member on the other forum! Pretty nice and reasonably priced to boot! I traded some magazine work for a safety lever, and I got a parts kit off of Ebay that will round out most of the frame necessities? The top end will be a 1920 commercial, with a new 4" 9MM barrel, marked, "MADE IN GERMANY" The toggle assembly will be a real Mongrel dog! E.G. new breechblock with a Swiss firing pin, 70's Mauser mid toggle link, and an E.G. rear toggle ... I've got plenty of Mec-Gar mags, so we'll work one of those over with a new bottom and spring! A nice set of grips are the next order of business! I'd like to find a nice set of Finnish import grips which are like Black Widow grips in outwards appearance, but way different on the back side... and, they are not true Bakelite as well? Anyway, if anyone has a set let me know... ....we press on! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post: