LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
jimmythejug
User

Default Looks like I found my first Luger

I started this thread about six hours ago. Finally finished it a little while ago and got a timeout message when I tried to post it. So I had to start over. Argh!

I have been learning a lot about these guns over the past few weeks and I decided a matching numbers gun was the right choice for me.

I've been searching around and the rumours are true; there are more fakes out there than honest guns...and sellers. Sad but true. It only took me a few weeks to learn this and I'm guessing it could take years for me to fully understand what's real and what's not.

So I checked out some dealers. One reputable dealer, although somewhat pricey, struck me as straightforward and represented their inventory honestly. One piece in particular interested me:

A 1936 S/42
Matching number, except mag
No holster or papers
Three digit number (three???) on left side of receiver, underside of barrel and underside of frame
90% blue, 60% straw, with typical holster wear (which is far better than no wear)

I'd love to show some photos of the acceptance stamps, which appear to be of the "63" variety, but it's hard to tell.

In any case, they're holding this for me and my plan is to finish the deal next week!! Definitely more than I planned on spending but I rather an expensive success than a cheap mistake. I'm looking forward to photographing it and posting up the pics for your input.

Jim
jimmythejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The 1936 is a great place to start. A lot of folks considered them the best finished of the Mausers lugers. E/63s would be correct. Then the early, or mid test proof.

We eagerly await your pics! We love pics.

congrats!

FN

Last edited by FNorm; 07-02-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: sp
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythejug View Post
I started this thread about six hours ago. Finally finished it a little while ago and got a timeout message when I tried to post it. So I had to start over. Argh!

I have been learning a lot about these guns over the past few weeks and I decided a matching numbers gun was the right choice for me.

I've been searching around and the rumours are true; there are more fakes out there than honest guns...and sellers. Sad but true. It only took me a few weeks to learn this and I'm guessing it could take years for me to fully understand what's real and what's not.

So I checked out some dealers. One reputable dealer, although somewhat pricey, struck me as straightforward and represented their inventory honestly. One piece in particular interested me:

A 1936 S/42
Matching number, except mag
No holster or papers
Three digit number (three???) on left side of receiver, underside of barrel and underside of frame
90% blue, 60% straw, with typical holster wear (which is far better than no wear)

I'd love to show some photos of the acceptance stamps, which appear to be of the "63" variety, but it's hard to tell.

In any case, they're holding this for me and my plan is to finish the deal next week!! Definitely more than I planned on spending but I rather an expensive success than a cheap mistake. I'm looking forward to photographing it and posting up the pics for your input.

Jim
3-digit numbers are OK
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Fred's right. One of my first high end collectable Lugers was a 1936. I had a choice between a 1940 and the '36 in equal condition and same price. I took the '36 because of the beautiful blue and straw.

Welcome to the ward.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

If I know I am going to take a long time, I make my draft in my word processor (Word) and then copy and paste it into the reply area

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
jimmythejug
User

Oh, and thanks go to Ed and a few others on here who I bugged several times.
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
jimmythejug
User

Update (because I'm impatient): I pretty much have to finish the deal this week. It could be at least a few weeks before it's in my possession, though. I've been chasing around the State Trooper I need to meet up with in order to get my application for another pistol purchase permit processed here in NJ. It takes time.

In the meantime, finances took a bit of a turn for the worse and I'm a little hesitant, particularly because I know I'm really paying on the high side of retail for this gun. It isn't super nice, either; it just appears to be as described, which itself is important.

My justification thus far has been that this gun, even though pricey at around $1500 (no holster or tool, non-matching mag), is a better deal than buying a $900 piece on gunbroker, only to find it to be a fake.

On the other, other hand, there's a pretty big gun show local to me this weekend and I feel *more* confident as a shopper, since I'm been pouring over the forums, FAQs, etc. for the past week. It has been a blast.

Your collective words of wisdom are very welcomed at this point.
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Shows are good even if you don't buy anything. Get the close up, hands on time. Ask questions.
But be prepared. As in bring cash. Almost always I find something I want to bring home. Little treasures....

Go with a good flashlight, I like the Surefire type, and a good magnifying glass.

FN
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
paid4c4
User

Jimmy, I see we're both new Luger owners I have a new to me 1915, my second choice was a 1936. I'm going to post pictures maybe this evening. I read in you post "I've been chasing around the State Trooper I need to meet up with in order to get my application for another pistol purchase permit processed here in NJ. It takes time."? Strange I did read that requirement in the 2nd Amendment. Perhaps last weeks court ruling will stop some of this abuse for law bidding citizens. I look forward to seeing your 36.
Regards;
Bill
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

There are collectors in my area that bring Lugers to gun shows to display. They are not for sale.

Discussions with them, and close inspection of actual collectible Lugers - priceless!

I did buy my first Luger (1 1923 Alphabet commercial DWM) at a show. It turned out that my offered price was right in line with it's value. I didn't have a fraction of the knowledge needed to make an informed decision at that point. I was just lucky.

75 percent of the Lugers I've seen at shows after that have had some defect that would turn off a collector. Parts swaps; refinished; pitting problems etc... Yet each one was priced as if it was collectible.

I actually had one seller tell me that an all matching Mauser Luger (except for the trigger plate which had a "42" serial number on it) was all matching because "42" was the Mauser code number. If armory replacement parts like the trigger plate were marked "42" by Mauser, it's the first I've heard of it! If this is actually true, I'd love to verify that here.

The last show had a seller that wouldn't give me any contact information, but told me he was visiting from California - across the US from us here in Raleigh. He had three Lugers that were "Perfect condition". An American Eagle priced in the $5,000 range. Two Mausers - they were only $3,500 each. I looked closely at them and found that both Mausers had been re-crowned to a flat - square crown. In the white because they had been refinished and messed with in other ways.

It almost seems that "boosting" that value of a Luger has become a way of life at gun shows.

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
tau-delt
User

Mrerick...... In fact replacement parts were stamped "42" and "S/42" by Mauser. It was their code at different times during production. It was their acceptance stamp of the various replacement parts.
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Tau-delt,

Thanks for this background information! I do understand the use of S/42 and 42 on the forward toggle. Didn't know they used it on other parts...

On a trigger side plate, would Mauser have stamped the "42" in the same location that they normally stamped the last two digits of a serial number?

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
jimmythejug
User

This is the gun:
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...5462fadfa1cefb

From what I've been able to determine, it has been in their inventory for a long time. Feel free to browse the photos and let me know what you think.
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Marc, A smaller die set 42 or S/42 armour's spare parts code will NOT be stamped in the same location as a serial number. It will usually be stamped inside or in a locaton that is covered when installed. Tom

Last edited by Lugerdoc; 07-08-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typing error
Lugerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
jimmythejug
User

UPDATE:

Not much, but I felt like posting....I've just sent in the balance of the payment. I'm three weeks into waiting for my purchase permit to come through, which could take 2-3 more months or longer. I'm hoping for less. I can't wait!

I just read a short but enjoyable book by Donn Pearce, entitled "Nobody Comes Back." It's a fictional account of sixteen year old infantryman who served in Belgium near the end of WWII. He was captured twice by the Germans and managed to escape. No mention of Lugers anywhere but I really enjoyed it, nonetheless.

Any other suggestions for some reading? Maybe a good idea for a thread, if one hasn't already been created.
Unread 10-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #16
jimmythejug
User

Argh... three and a half months and still no permit from NJ. There are lawyers now that specialize in pressing the state for an answer, as the NJ constitution states that a decision must be rendered within 30 days, if I recall correctly.

On the other hand, this gun does qualify for a C&R purchase but I don't know to much about it and figure it wouldn't help me get the gun any faster; I think the dealer requirements are the only difference. Can someone clarify?
Unread 11-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #17
jimmythejug
User

I finally received my purchase permit from NJ (four and a half months!) and picked up the gun yesterday. Pics will be posted in a new thread when I get a chance for a photo shoot. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #18
Peter Anhalt
User

Just read through the postings and glad to hear you've now got your Luger.

You asked for a book recommendation. Look on Amazon for "Assault from within" written by George Von Konrat.

Its based on a true story - I know someone who was in this type of unit. Here's the write-up from Amazon:

The book tells the tale of an elite unit of very young German soldiers, trained from teenage years, to pass as Russians. When the invasion of the Soviet Union is launched, these soldiers are infiltrated as "5th columnists" to create chaos and sabotage, in the Russian lines, as the German army launches their offensive.

One of the best war stories that I have read, this is said to be based on fact. The story is told from the German viewpoint, so Russian readers would probably not
enjoy this book. All in all, a good read that stands the test of time.
Peter Anhalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #19
jimmythejug
User

Excellent; I'll ask for that one for my Birthday! Thanks.
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
nickg
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythejug View Post
Update (because I'm impatient): I pretty much have to finish the deal this week. It could be at least a few weeks before it's in my possession, though. I've been chasing around the State Trooper I need to meet up with in order to get my application for another pistol purchase permit processed here in NJ. It takes time.

In the meantime, finances took a bit of a turn for the worse and I'm a little hesitant, particularly because I know I'm really paying on the high side of retail for this gun. It isn't super nice, either; it just appears to be as described, which itself is important.

My justification thus far has been that this gun, even though pricey at around $1500 (no holster or tool, non-matching mag), is a better deal than buying a $900 piece on gunbroker, only to find it to be a fake.

On the other, other hand, there's a pretty big gun show local to me this weekend and I feel *more* confident as a shopper, since I'm been pouring over the forums, FAQs, etc. for the past week. It has been a blast.

Your collective words of wisdom are very welcomed at this point.
if you are near cherry ridge..let me know and I can bring out my black widow...if you want to see one or shoot one
nickg is offline   Reply With Quote