LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #41
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I am sure folks have wondered why we as moderators have not closed this.

In ref to Harry's usage of 'ponzi' / for Goodness sakes Harry, sometimes do a search of a term and learn how to back down a little???? Most of the discussion has been good, HOWEVER, unsure how a discussion of lugerman went from him to Ted then Danner. Oh okay, since I know most of the story, I do know.

There was a bit more background to this story, but it is not pertinent and thus I will leave it out.

I think the biggest thing to take away from here Harry is that you can learn how to EDIT your remarks after you make something a bit off and people won't be offended. Many times I will write something and then later correct the spelling or saying that someone is an idiot. It is in bad-form to say somethings publicly. Especially in a forum where people have known Ted since the inception of the forum 10 or 11 years ago.

Ron, I like Ted and he does excellent work, but he has gone through periods of being unreliable, but I will stand by his character of a trustworthy man and if he asks for money up-front, well that is his business practice and I don't blame him; I would imagine getting stuck once or twice with a bill can be very costly.

Ted will not respond here fella's, I have known him too long, I know he has read this, would be surprised if he has not, but it would surprise me for him to come on here and respond.

Leave the thread open or close it?

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 05-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #42
Kitkat041836
RIP

Thumbs up

Very well said Ed .
Thanks Ed
George
Kitkat041836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 03:47 AM   #43
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Ah, there is the rub! Do you really get the same quality quicker? I would love to see a side by side comparison. I suspect that the old saying that you get what you pay for still applies. The devil is in the details. But, who knows?...you may be right.
Unread 05-13-2011, 03:59 AM   #44
hgreer2
Banned

Hey Ed, I said ponzi was a little over the top and it was, sorry. But this is what pisses me off. When someone comes here and asks where the best place to get a gun restored and you say Thor. You do these people a dis-service when you leave out a teenie weenie fact....the but and there is always a but, Thor may be the best, but it COULD take up to a year and it COULD cost you a thousand dollars. Now that person has all the information and can make an educated decision and not go in on blind faith, if he chooses to send the gun, at least he knows what to expect going in and not find out 6 months later. There is an old saying I like " I taught you everything you know, BUT I didn't teach you everything I know"
I'm through, no more posts on this subject from me, I made my point.

Exit stage left,
Harry
hgreer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #45
Kitkat041836
RIP

Thumbs up

Hi Ron
I would be glad to find the worst gun I can and you find the
worst gun you can and I will pay Danner to restore your gun and you can pay Green to restore mine.We can then let the members on this
fourm make up thier minds on the best one.You and I could even make a side bet.
How does that sound.
Thanks George
P.S. Not a good idea after all I might die of old age before I get my gun back.
This is my last post.
Kitkat041836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #46
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Back while i was praticing law there was a dispute between 2 sister over a sily hummel. I knew the other lawyer and instead or ruining 2 days of trial in Miami we agreed with each other to go out and purchase an exaxt copy. They were $50 copies, We both gave our respective fighting client a copy and told them they were under court order not to ever discuss the outcome.They were thrilled! We both charged $250 and everybody was happy!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #47
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Back while i was praticing law there was a dispute between 2 sister over a sily hummel. I knew the other lawyer and instead or ruining 2 days of trial in Miami we agreed with each other to go out and purchase an exaxt copy. They were $50 copies, We both gave our respective fighting client a copy and told them they were under court order not to ever discuss the outcome.They were thrilled! We both charged $250 and everybody was happy!
If you and the other attorney gave each of the sisters a copy - who had the original ?
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #48
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

They were both copies that was how easy it was to get a another.
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #49
Ben M.
User

If you send a Luger to a restoration artist, doesn't he have enough collateral from you in the fact that he has your Luger and would not have to return it until you paid him for his work.

Also, if he has your Luger in hand, why can't a price for all the agreed upon work be agreed to ahead of time ? Why does the work have to be 100% completed before the artist lets you know what the final-price might be.

It sounds like a contractor telling you a kitchen remodel will cost you $ 20,000...but he then tells you it will be $ 25,000 after the work is done for no reason caused by the homeowner.

I guess each fellow in this business can decide how he does the transaction, but the way Mr. Danner is reportedly doing his work seems the way I would choose if I needed a Luger redone.

Mr. Danner's work seems to be of excellent quality and his customer service seems to get high marks too.

(LugerMan's work is amatueristic if you have seen his stuff in person at gun shows.)
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #50
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
(LugerMan's work is amatueristic if you have seen his stuff in person at gun shows.)
Ben, could you elaborate on this a bit, please? I've only seen his work in pics; on his site, in junglejim's thread, and in another thread whose author I've forgotten...never up close & personal...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #51
Ben M.
User

Postino,

I have seen runs in the bluing (like paint runs) and he leaves sanding lines in the ear portions of the frame that should not be there.

How would you like your Broomhandle to come back to you with the "Mausfr" stamping...as it did in one other member's case.

For about the same money, Danner's work is superior and he makes his delivery promises, period.

Why get stressed out for over a year, send numerous emails with no replies or promises never kept, and start to get lawyers involved when there are other options.

Thor and LugerMan would just not be the guys I would use.
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #52
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Wouldn't be nice to find someone like john Martz who performs work as original and new. I do not believe in luger plastic surgery. Nothing is going to be as good as new...
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #53
wayne8661
User

I contacted the Luger man once about restoration on a fat barrel and he didnt even reply to me till a year after I had the restoration done.

I used Ken Karstead for my restoration and he was fast and very reasonable. He was backed up the last time I spoke to him But I think he did a fantastic jon on my piece.
wayne8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #54
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne8661 View Post
I used Ken Karstead for my restoration and he was fast and very reasonable. He was backed up the last time I spoke to him But I think he did a fantastic jon on my piece.
I think I've read his name here before...does he have a web site???
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #55
wayne8661
User

No Ken doesnt have a web site he doesnt even do email . He is an old skool gentleman. If anyone wants to contact him I will be glad to provide his phone number.
wayne8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #56
LugerMan.com
User

Default Collateral response

Quote:
If you send a Luger to a restoration artist, doesn't he have enough collateral from you in the fact that he has your Luger and would not have to return it until you paid him for his work.

Hi,
Yes that is correct....
But gun in hand does not = money.
Time spend on restoration and no payment = loss of money.

and = delay for others that are willing to pay.

In this modern day with all the financial problems, some times i ask for a 20-30% deposit from new clients to cover my cost in case i do not see a payment after the job is done in case of restorations

In case of carbine conversions 50% down payment, simply pays for the donor gun and the parts that go on it... and cost of labor is covered at the time of delivery.

Never had to sell someone's gun, and hope will never have to.

Thanks.
LugerMan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to LugerMan.com for your post:
Unread 02-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #57
LugerMan.com
User

Default Partial Mauser markings responce

Quote:
I

I have seen runs in the bluing (like paint runs) and he leaves sanding lines in the ear portions of the frame that should not be there.

How would you like your Broomhandle to come back to you with the "Mausfr" stamping...as it did in one other member's case.

Hi,

First of all.. i have never been to a single gun show... so i wonder if the example you have seen is a LugerMan.com work.

Second: I do not recall ever leaving 1/2 the mauser logo and not restoring it... and if you know the owner, let him know if that gun was ever in my shop for restoration and i did that, i will fix it for him free of charge.

3ed: same goes for any imperfections of the finish... I have never had a client that had a complaint about any of the work that was not taken back and fixed .. most were in the beginning of my career as a restore in 2002-2003.

Now days this type of problems get corrected before they ever see the light of day.

So please pass this to anyone owner of the restorations that i did ... i stand behind my restorations and any problems will get fixed for free, even for a 10 year old job.

Thanks.
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #58
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Eugene -

I think this is the pic Ben M referred to...

It's from junglejim's thread -

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=21822
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #59
LugerMan.com
User

Default Mauser stemp

Aha.. i see

This one was an actual Mauser made mistake... I did not have to do anything on this one, it was deep and clean just a bottom of the E broke on the stamp.

I did not feel i needed to correct history in this case.

But, this very picture was presented to the customer before shipping, like with all my restorations.

And all comments and changes were welcomed at that time...

If this w'd have been your gun and you'd want history corrected i w'd done it without second guessing it.

If i'd have to restore that stamp, it w'd have all the details correct on it.

Thanks.
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #60
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Eugene:
Welcome, and good to hear you are still alive and kicking.
I just looked at the 1900 AE you did for me a couple of years ago. Very nice.
David Uden
Omaha
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote