Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 02-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default Are There Usually Import Marking On Swiss Luger

ERIC, ESQ AKA CIRELAW, GOT A QUESTION FOR OUR KEEPS/FRIENDS, I PURCHASED, BESIDE THE 1906 'FRENCH LUGER' FROM A DIFFERENT DEALER THAN TOM, A 1929 SWISS LUGER/ COMPLETE / BEAUTY FROM ANOTHER DEALER, WHO SPECIAALIZES IN SWISS LUGERS SEPERATLY, IT A BEAUTY BUT PLAN TO SELL IT, IN ORDER TO PURCHASE A 1924, IM TOLD BY A LOCAL DEALER THAT IT WOULD COMMAND A HIGHER PRICE IF HAD NO IMPORT MARK, NOW I KNOW OF A GERMANY STAMP ON 23S BOUND FOR EXPORT, ALTHOUGH IVE NEVER HEARD OF OTHER MARKINGS SUCH AS THOSE, DID I MISS SOMETHING, NOW, IF SO, I MUST DISCLOSE? AND I WAS JUST GETTING OVER MY STROKE/COMA, IN COSTA RICO, ANYBODY NEED A FREE WILL, ON A COCKTAIL NAPKIN?? GOD BLESS!SORRY FOR THE ERRORS, SINCE MY BRAINFART, I TYPE WITH ONLLY ONE FINGER, BUT HISTORY HAS TAUGHT, THAT THE PULL OF ONE FINGER, COULD START A WAR AND THE PUSH OF ANOTHER,20 YEARS LATER, WOULD END ONE, GOD BLESS,
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
Rod WMG
User

Eric, best wishes for a full recovery.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Eric,

Might I ask the serial number of the M1929 Bern luger you are selling and what color plastic grips/magazine bottom it has ?

I am not sure about the stampings you have asked about...two possibilites :

1. When a gun is given to a retiring Swiss soldier, a P or a P-(date) stamping is applied somewhere on the luger to indicate it was released from Ordnance use. This stamping might be something such as "P 52"...indicating it was released from Ordnance use in the year 1952. You will see this stamping along the left side of the receiver, the left side frame rail, or in the front of the frame above or sometimes on the trigger guard. Sometimes the gun is refurbished prior to release or other times it is not.

I think USA collectors do not like to see this...as the stampings are done hasitly and letters/numbers are usually crooked. The folks in Switzerland seem to like to see the P-release stampings as it indicates the gun was wanted by the retiring soldier and its ownership can be traced.

2. If a gun was sent out of Switzerland and imported into the USA after 1968, the company doing the USA importation would stamp their importor company name and State somewhere visibly on the gun.

I think USA collectors, generally, do not want to see such "importer stamps" on their collection-grade lugers or other guns. If you are selling a luger with such importer stampings, you should let the buyer know...as some buyers might be disappointed to see them and may ask for their money refunded.

Let me know of what type of stampings you have inquired...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote