LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 12-20-2003, 08:23 AM   #1
TOGGLELOCK
User

Lightbulb cost vs. machined today's cost?

I heard that current CNC machinery would turn out Lugers at a reasonable and affordable cost. The extensive machining operations used to produce the parts would not be a problem for CNC machinery and do so at a very inexpensive cost. I just wonder why the manufacturers are so heavily relying on Cast parts for their guns? I have seen firearms components produced with Tolerances of a Micro inch .0274 from slide to slide. Now that's accuracy!
TOGGLELOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
riffraff
User

Yes, but remember, that CNC machinery is pretty darn expensive too! Mike
Unread 12-20-2003, 09:11 PM   #3
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

The parts are not just cast, they are investment cast. When it comes to complex part design, investment casting wins the price war and have proven to be superior in strength. Ruger has been investment casting for over 40 years. Even Weatherby knew a good thing when he saw it. The other problem with CNC machining, is that guns need strength in certain ways. To get that strength, you need a forging or investment casting. With the forging, you can then send it to the CNC machine to get the finished size. I read an article recently, that Mauser used investment casting to keep the price of the Luger down during their 70's production...
Unread 12-22-2003, 12:00 AM   #4
TOGGLELOCK
User

Johnny,
Regarding Investment Casting. Provided the metal treatment meathod is sound. I am very familiar with the process and it is satisfactory. The product is usually pretty darn good with Investment Casting. However, I've seen Induction Forged Steel w/no Re-Melt. The microstructure was incredible. Nothing short of stellar. Diamensions where incredible, so was the fit of the parts.
TOGGLELOCK is offline   Reply With Quote