LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-13-2001, 07:25 PM   #1
KEN
User

Default Rookie Made a Mistake

I posted a message a few days ago asking for help identifing a Luger my Grandfather left me. I SCREWED UP BIG TIME!!! The mark over the chamber is "39" NOT 36.

The mark on the slide is "42". Also, is it remotely possible that the "Chrome" colored finish on this gun is original and not an after war plate job. I have seen other guns that have been plated and it tends to cover over the stamp marks. All the marks on this gun appear to have been made after plating. Also, the frame itself appears to be non-plated, but rather made of a zinc or aluminun alloy??

Is this gun still just a nice shooter or should I lock it away for safe keeping??? Please give me your input!!

Unread 08-13-2001, 07:50 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default I'm not aware...

of any zinc or aluminum alloy Luger frames made around the 1939 time frame, but I could be wrong.

Dok

Unread 08-13-2001, 07:53 PM   #3
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Rookie Made a Mistake

Hi Ken,

I regret to say itâ??s a shooter. If it is not blued it has either been stripped down to the bare metal or plated. A good plating job wonâ??t obscure any of the markings, no matter how fine they are.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 08-13-2001, 08:21 PM   #4
mlm

A few Walther pistols were made with alloy during WW2. There are some ppk's that appear nickle plated that are original. It is possible that a few lugers were made in alloy for test purposes. A few lugers were also made that were presentation pieces. The chance that the luger you describe is one of these possibilities is extremely low. If you can post a picture and provide the full serial number, it would be interesting but I think it is reasonable to say your luger was plated or the bluing removed. By posting a picture, we can tell if it is restorable or at least pin down the nature of the finish.

Regardless, these are fascinating artifacts of war and yours has a history you can trace back to that epic time.

Unread 08-13-2001, 08:22 PM   #5
dc8ray
User

On the nickled shooter that I have (1937 S/42), all numbers show up very well and proof marks are still identifiable.

Ray

Unread 08-13-2001, 09:57 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Ken, Just to be sure of what you are looking at, take a magnet and test the frame..You can be sure if steel or alloy. Alloy guns are extreamly rare and it would be very valuble if alloy and original..

Unread 08-14-2001, 12:21 AM   #7
bill m
User

The Luger in question is a shooter! ALL engraved presentation Lugers were Krieghoff's, as were any alloy frames. Anyone that is suggesting that you might have a rare Luger is mis-leading you. Your Luger is a common WWII Mauser that has been dolled up.

Unread 08-14-2001, 08:57 AM   #8
KEN
User

Default Re: Thanks for the help!!!!!!

The magnet test was a great idea. The magnet stuck to the frame like glue.

Thanks everyone, for your non bias input.

While this gun is just a shooter, it is still a nice piece of history and has alot of sentimental value to me.

I just wanted to be sure of what I really had before some unscrupulous dealer suckered it away from me.

You guys are great!!!!!

Unread 08-14-2001, 06:34 PM   #9
Dok
RIP

Default You're more than welcome...

Please be a regular visitor here, there's lots of great info shared on this site, and lots of very knowledgeable and friendly guys. You'll learn much and increase your enjoyment of your Luger.

Dok