LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 10-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
P. J. Heck
User

Default 1906 BUG Commercial, #5130x

.........does anyone know where in the serial range the BUG stopped and the Crown N started??? Did they overlap????? My referrence books dont, nor do they agree with one another about production volume or 'Germany' marking either; some of them are very dated.......

Anyone else have a '06 BUG with higher serial than #5130x? Or have record of one??

What year was #5130x made???
Unread 10-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

P.J.,

This is a central part of the Commercial serial number study in which I have been engaged for several years. The answers to your questions can be found in the Commercial database.

The first c/N proof report is sn 49074. The highest c/BUG proof report is sn 53103. Most of the reports in this range are of c/BUG proofs, but the range is large enough and the actual proof reports scanty enough that no firm conclusion can be drawn.

The actual date of the change from the c/BUG commercial proof to the c/N proof is unknown. The Suhl, Zella-Mehlis, and Frankfurt/Oder proof houses settled on Nitro proof methology in 1911, and the proof stamping itself was instituted in 1912.

The patterns of changes revealed in the database suggest very strongly that guns were not proofed as they were completed, but may have sat for some time before being proofed--thus, the mixture of proofs in an "overlap" range. A Luger in the c/BUG-c/N transition range can certainly be said to have been made during 1911-1912.

The Lugers reported between sn 51303 and sn 51310 are all Navy Commercials, which tells me that I do not have a report for your gun. Could you please tell me the full serial number, whether it is a Commercial or an American Eagle, and if it is a long- or short-frame? You can email me dwightg@pacifier.com if you do not want to reveal the information in public.

The Country of Origin (GERMANY) stamping requirement was passed in the U.S. Tariff Act of 1890, implemented in March 1891. This would seem to be exclusively a U.S. import requirement, although I am still looking into it.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote