LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
hansfischer007
User

Default 1918 DWM date restamp.????

Hi..My name is Joe Fischer and I just joined the Discussion Board and am very excited about the information available...My question is.....back in the late 50s..my mother bought me a 1918 DWM 4" Barrel Luger....and when I was stationed in Germany in the Air Force in the early 1960s...my dad shipped it over to me....and as it had some scratches on it...also a deep scratch on the top thru the 1918 date.....I took it to a German Master-Gunsmith to have it redone.....he did a Good job...altho.....he took the 1918 Date off the top..!!!....is there anyone that the Board feels is reliable...that could restamp the date for me..?..I found one guy advertised as "Luger-Man" and he sent me an estimate of the work...and also I had entertained the thought of putting a 6" barrel on it...(Im not ever planning on selling it)...However...I heard from one source ...not to send the pistol to "Luger Man" due to problems of getting it back...also another dealer I know in Georgia..said the same.....so....that being said....whats the opinion of getting the 1918 date restamped on the top..??...and 2..having a 6" barrel put on as well....I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer.....looking forward to a good discussion board....Many Thanks....Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Hans/Joe:
Whether to re-stamp or not is a personal choice. It may look nicer to you but is not authentic so it will not add to the value. That is referred to as "force matched".
6" barrels are nice to shoot with, I prefer them to the 4". But then again you are spending money to make your gun more personal, but worth nothing more than before. Maybe less.
Re the LugerMan. He was done some work for me and does a good job. However his reputation for working on his own schedule, regardless of what he tells you before you send him your gun, is well deserved. I don't know if he can re-stamp the date.
There are several persons on this forum who do very good work but re-stamping the date is an unknown to me.
Welcome aboard, and send us some photos. We love photos...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
rivieraranch
User

You could buy an additional barrel/receiver combination in 6 inch. Therefore you could change out when you felt the need to do so. I would not restamp the top, though.
rivieraranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
hansfischer007
User

Default Another Barrel and Receiver..??

Thats a very interesting suggestion...to pick up a Receiver with 6" barrel and just swap them out.........being very new to Luger Collectiing......I appreciate any suggestions as to where and how to obtain a Receiver with barrel......also could anyone give me a "ballpark" figure on what something like could run..??......and as I said.....maybe point me to someone known to the board that sells parts......I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer......Best Regards......Hans Fischer
Unread 11-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
MFC
User

Tom Heller (Lugerdoc) can help you.
Unread 11-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
hansfischer007
User

Default Lugerdoc.??

How do I get in touch with Lugerdoc...??..and does he have a website...??.....what type of repair/refinish does he do..?.....again...thanks for the help......let me know.....Best Regards....Hans Fischer
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Hans you can do a search of lugerdoc on the advanced search feature and his email will pop up. He is not highspeed website or camera orientated, but his products are good and he usually has what you need. He does repair on getting them up and running and also can install barrels, but he does not refinish items.

Your ..... is stuck, just like my shift key on my laptop (well, mine doesn't work half the time)

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Thor
User

I can do the restoration finshing for you! And I can have the date stamp replaced.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ed got it right ---- I do the mechanical work, but no refinishing. TH
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
hansfischer007
User

Smile Thanks and Regrets....

Hey Guys......I just want to give a Tremendous THANK YOU to every one that has helped me in my Quest to get my 1918 DWM back to where I want it.....Ive talked to a number of people that have been suggested to me....so today ..01 Dec....after a phone discussion...Im sending the pistol to Tom Heller (Luger Doc)...who is going to install the 6" barrel for me.....and Bless him...he said he would take a look thru it and see if any of the "innards" need any work....I had not thought to ask that....he is very thorough......after that work is done.....and he sends it back.....Im sending it off to an Engraver that THOR reccomended....to have the 1918 Date put on the receiver.....but honestly after looking at THORS website...he is a dangerous person...now hes got me to looking everywhere for "shooters" that can be rebuilt.....I just attended our Annual Military Show here...and a Dealer friend of mine had a Luger....that had all the finish removed from it....in the white so to speak.....and as at the time had not heard of THOR or knew that Lugers like that could be "reborn"....did not buy it.....it went for a ridiculously low price.......Oh Well.....now just gotta practice my story to my Wife..."Honey..I bought this old worn out Luger for $200"......but she knows when Im lying.....Now as to the REGRETS......my mom bought me the 1918 DWM back in the late 50s.....for $40.00.....the same shop had Navy Lugers.....for $65.00......and the Artillery Lugers were around $100.00......who in the heck would pay that high price for a pistol.???????.....but we all have those memories.......Again Guys......Many Thanks...........Hans Fischer....