LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
JR.
User

Smile toggle joint

Hi All - I thought I would let you know that my father - G.T -. is a proud owner of a new toggle joint He is recovering at home from knee replacement surgery and should be on his feet shortly - Thanks- Gerald Tomek Jr.
JR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Tell my friend G.T. that I wish him well, get him up on his feet and finding me Weimar Lugers soon...you got his humor!.....PoliceLuger
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Thanks JR... Tell the old man we are praying for his speedy recovery...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
Heinz
User

Jr. I wish Dad a speedy recovery. Would it be good therapy for him to turn out some magazine bottoms while he is flat on his back? Or, better yet, I have this kick butt jig for straightening out bent and broken old Luger mags and related parts he can borrow. I will even find mags for him to fix if he gives them back when he is done.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
sambuscemi
User

Jerry Jr. - Wishing your dad a speedy recovery. Sam Buscemi
sambuscemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

GT, Thanks for sending me my mag bottom order before your operation. I'll try to fill orders for Forum members, until your back on your feet. Get well soon, Lugerdoc at hellerarms@webtv.net
Unread 06-28-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
Hugh
RIP

I wish GT a speedy recovery & that he is back to "toggling" soon.
Unread 06-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
Roadkill
User

Give him my best.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Knee replacement

Hi Guys! Thanks for the kind thought! The therapy is really tough to do... I told my doctor that all I really needed, was a weeker hamstring... but he disagrees! all is as well as expected... certainly not an overnight repair.. I'm looking toward the future... best to all, til...lat'r......GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #10
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I stopped by to see GT yesterday. Thought you would like to know he is in good spirits and his Physical Therapy is proceeding better than "normal". He said the Doc told him that after 2 weeks his knee flexural motion is twice that expected from his patients in that timeframe, so GT said he was going to take a well deserved rest from PT
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #11
LU1900
User

Unread 07-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #12
Heinz
User

GT, kind thoughts and best wishes! Keep up the PT, it is like bore cleaning, boring but worthwhile in the long run.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2006, 04:05 PM   #13
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Toggle joint replacement!

Hello to all, and thanks to all my forum friends for there well wishs and kind thoughts... I really like this amazing group of people... we all seem to have several common bonds aside from the collecting activity... The reason for this post is a little update for my friends and customers who are patiently waiting for me to recover... My recovery seems slow, but I am told it is on pace or ahead of scheadule on the grand scheme of things... after the surgury there are three main issues... pain being the first, and of course, easily controlled with modern heavy hitting meds.. second is flexibility of the joint, straight to fully bent is a long and ongoing process, with daily gains of a degree or two considered a success!! Third is strenght, the muscles take a real beating on a surgury like this and it's about like starting from scratch... so, we are looking at several months before we feel like we own our knee again... I did have one little setback, and it was my own fault.. I got impatient with my forward progress one day and was going forward about as fast as I could shuffle my feet. I inadvertantly tipped my walker forward and there was a slight pause as if the walker was trying to figure out what was going on... there was two things that could happen, one, the walker would tip back level, and all would be fine... or two, the wheels on the front could shoot out toward the back leaving me extented and bearing most of my weight on my newly modified leg... Guess which one happened to me??? Well to make a short story even shorter, there followed about two full minutes of screaming. followed by another two of frustrated cursing, followed by about fifteen minutes of humility when you realize you can't get you butt off the floor with out using every bit of energy you can sum up after an ordeal like that!!! Well, I first apoligized to God for the previous cursing, because I figured I was going to need him on my side in the next fifteen to twenty minutes, and I'm pretty sure he was, because it was all I could do to make it back up.. I checked everything out and seemed no worse for the experience, except it set me back a bit on the pain control issue.. But, that was a week ago, and I have fully recovered from that. And so it goes, good days, bad days, therapy, restless nights, but all the time gaining... If you plan on doing this type of surgury, count on at least four to six weeks before you can work part time... and plan on four to five hour days at the most for the next few weeks... I'll fill you in on the rest as i go through it... So to my friends that have parts on order, please be patient, as I can't quite stand at the lathe yet, and for me, it all starts there... another week or two and I should be good to go... Thanks again to all my pals here! Best to all, til....lat'r.....GT
Unread 07-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #14
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Glad to hear you are on the mend Gerry... we shall continue to keep you in prayer... the quality of your work will keep your customers in check until you get to their parts...

I hope the pain will subside daily... and the flexibility will return quickly...

best wishes - John

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #15
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Talked with GT yesterday and he actually sounds pretty good for all the frustration involved with a surgery like that.
Hang in there buddy! In a year or so it will all be just a memory...Read a good book or watch a movie or two you have been putting off or study some of those gun books. You will be back at work before you know it and dancing on a hardwood floor at night...Keep up with the therapy...you'll be glad you did! Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #16
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Toggle Joint Update!

Hi to all! Well, its been 9+ weeks with the new "toggle joint" and progress is being made! I was just about to the point where I had hope, then I fell, (see previous post?) it was a bit of a set back, but I didn't have too much trouble with it.. so, I thought I was doing pretty good until I had my 6 week check... the physican assistant said... "Not good enough!" "You have two weeks to gain about 15 degrees of bend and 4 or 5 degrees toward straight!" The end result was get'er done, or they put you under and do it for you.... Agressive therapy was ordered, and applied...with much snarling, howling, and nashing of teeth... but I made it, I had to say thanks to the people who had to hurt me for two weeks.... and it seems to be much better a week or so later. The bottom line, is that I spent most of Monday afternoon at my lathe making blanks for all my customers back order mag. bottoms.. So, I'm off and away, making parts just like I did, before I decided to hurt myself just for the hell of it! So, I'll have some items to send as soon as I can get'em done... Thanks to all for their understanding and patients.... Best to all, til...lat'r....GT