LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 08-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
newluger
User

Default Shooting question

Picked up a pair of 9mm Lugers a couple of weeks ago. One is dated 1916 and the other 1921. Fired them today and had a real blast. I used 115 grain FMJ ammo both brass and steel casings. Every once in a while, when I pulled the trigger, they would not fire. After recocking, they fired fine. My friend suggested that the springs might be worn. Any suggestions? I can live with the problem if there is one, I would just like to know what to expect in the future. One thing I know for sure, I need a loading tool. As I said earlier, they were both a real pleasure to shoot.
newluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Ice
User

First, welcome to the forum and congratulations on having both a 1916 and 1921 Luger. One thing to think of, if your Lugers are collectible quality and you break a numbered part then you have just dropped value $500+ down to mismatched shooter value. On my matching number guns I will shoot them a few times but change out the original numbered pieces (extractor, firing pin and non-numbered original ejector since they are most likely to break) for less valuable spares.

For your mis-firing issue, you might try cleaning out the tunnel that the firing pin rides in and maybe replacing the firing pin spring with a fresh one made by Wolff gunsprings. I won't use steel cased ammo in my Lugers because of foreign made QC issues. WW white box works just fine as well as my lead bullet handloads.

Glad you are enjoying your Lugers. They are superb pistols and quite addictive.

Best

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
policeluger
RIP

Need to make sure round is not going to go off when in the recocking mode, be sure and wait with muzzel down range when checking for misfire.....also check and see if there is a build of gunk in the toggle, the entire firing pin area inside of bolt.....be careful
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
newluger
User

Thank you for the quick replies. What are or where are good resources for for alternate parts? You also mentioned Wolff. Do they have a website?

Thanks again from an old newbie.
newluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
policeluger
RIP

Wolff does have a web site, to the left of screen under "links &....." fine Tom Heller or called LucerDoc, he will take care of your parts need....
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote