LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 02-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
superhondaz50
User

Default .30 Luger 90gr XTP .309 DIA. Load, anyone have one?

Like the title says, I have 90gr xtp bullets for my 30 luger. It's a 1920 commercial with the 3-7/8"ish barrel. I loaded it with 5.0 grains of unique and it wouldn't cycle the action, it would start to cycle and then get stuck on the magazine almost in the lock open position. Anyone have a load/powder for this bullet?
-Thanks!
superhondaz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
Sieger
User

Default 7.65 Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhondaz50 View Post
Like the title says, I have 90gr xtp bullets for my 30 luger. It's a 1920 commercial with the 3-7/8"ish barrel. I loaded it with 5.0 grains of unique and it wouldn't cycle the action, it would start to cycle and then get stuck on the magazine almost in the lock open position. Anyone have a load/powder for this bullet?
-Thanks!

Hi:

Here's how I'd approach the problem.

First, you need to check OAL. Is your bullet a round nose for a flat point? Please get back to me, as this is a little lesson all in itself (easy after you have mastered it, though)

Second, you need to adjust your charge of powder.
I'd start at about 4.8 grains and advance .1 grain at a time until the pistol would function (hold-open working after single round fired). FYI, reloading manuals are usually a little light for the 7.65 Luger, as I've recently found out that there were weaker actioned pistols also chambered for it.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 05-12-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
superhondaz50
User

OAL was 1.173
Unread 02-03-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
superhondaz50
User

OAL was 1.173, bullet is a HP
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Sieger
User

Default Aol

Quote:
OAL was 1.173, bullet is a HP

Hi:

Just an educated suggestion, try your OAL at 1.15 (approximately 29.0mm).

1.173 would be where to start with a round nose, but flat pointed bullets need less OAL to feed properly.

Try this:

Load up 8 dummies at 1.173 and load them into the magazine.

1) Is there any binding while loading them into the magazine?

2) Is there any binding while working the action by hand for all eight cartridges?

If there is any hint of binding or hard feeding, adjust your OAL in either direction (on all eight) and retry the aforementioned tests. Adjust by very small increments
(.001), as small adjustments yeild large changes when eight cartridges are involved. I would start at about 1.10, or so, and work up. When you have the right length, you will "feel it" when you work a full magazine of eight rounds through the action. With the proper OAL, all eight rounds should feed like butter into the barrel.

Correct OAL; proper bullet nose shape; proper type powder and charge; and springs that are in spec. are all necessary for perfect Luger function (1,000 rounds fired with no malfunctions).

Good luck and let me know your final proper length!!

Sieger

For your powder, unless you are perfectly satisfied with yours, I'd try Power Pistol or SR4756 instead. If your barrel is in excellent shape, and you are a good shot, 25yard groups should be expected at less than 1/2 inch (hand held over a sand bag)!!

Last edited by Sieger; 05-12-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Sticker
User

Hi

My load for the 90 grn XTP

5.5grn of IMR SR4756 AOL 1.100" Cronied at an average velocity of 1253FPS out of my 06/29 Swiss Luger.

Sticker
Sticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Just check'en in!

Hi Sieger, due to health and financial issues, I've not been able to pursue our latest project... But, i was just wondering if you had any chance to evaluate and wring out the mags I sent you.. I am basically just interested in function at this point... can't establish a test bed till we have that nailed down... I've made some strides, but they are not significantly any different then what you have... best to you, til...lat'r...GT.... Constant struggle, Constant growth! BTW, I'm constantly amazed at your expertise in this field.. I am jelouse!! (sp.?)
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
Sieger
User

Default 7.65 Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker View Post
Hi

My load for the 90 grn XTP

5.5grn of IMR SR4756 AOL 1.100" Cronied at an average velocity of 1253FPS out of my 06/29 Swiss Luger.

Sticker
Sticker:

I've wanted to examine and experiment with original Swiss Ordanance ammo, but haven't been able to put my hands on any.

I'd also like to examine the Swiss Parabellum magazine, interior length for instance, as compared to the German production magazines. The Swiss varied their production considerably, as you know, through various models of their service pistol, over a period of decades.

Sieger
Unread 02-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
Sieger
User

Default Parabellum Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi Sieger, due to health and financial issues, I've not been able to pursue our latest project... But, i was just wondering if you had any chance to evaluate and wring out the mags I sent you.. I am basically just interested in function at this point... can't establish a test bed till we have that nailed down... I've made some strides, but they are not significantly any different then what you have... best to you, til...lat'r...GT.... Constant struggle, Constant growth! BTW, I'm constantly amazed at your expertise in this field.. I am jelouse!! (sp.?)
GT:

Now, I want you to know, that neither one of us is going to Heaven until we finish that Parabellum Main Spring project we started.

Add a death in the family, my Mom, and our's sounds almost like parallel courses over the last year or so.

I've also been dilatory in calling that German Master Smith regarding his approach to Parabellum Springs (his firm sells their own creations on the net).

Now, don't forget what Nietzsche said ...." that which does not kill you, makes you stronger..."

This Spring, advances are going to be made on this side, one way or another!!!

GT, do your magazines function well with the S&B 124 grain 9mm ammo, as this is about as hot as I'd like to go for our 9mm Parabellum creation.

Sieger

PS: I haven't been able to use the Spell Checker on this site since John updated it. Can anyone help me?? I have Office XP and the upgrade needed won"t work for me!!
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Time is on our side...

Sieger, Time is on our side.. and that's about all i can afford at the moment anyway..But, I'm gearing up to dig back in on this end..have a few outstanding projects to clean up and I'll get back to task.... I've never tried S&B ammo?? But, I was taking some measurements yesterday, and the MEC-GAR tubes are very much in spec. when compared to original mag tubes... Should work fine.. best to you, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #11
Hugh
RIP

Loads for 90 XTP:

7.5 Blue Dot
7.0 HS7
5.6 SR4756
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
superhondaz50
User

Ok tried 5.2 and 5.3 and still the same problem. It almost looks like the bolt is hanging up on the magazine/ round in the mag, and not completing a full cycle. Would it make a difference I'm using a Nazi marked magazine or are they all the same?
Unread 02-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #13
Sieger
User

Default Jam

Quote:
Ok tried 5.2 and 5.3 and still the same problem. It almost looks like the bolt is hanging up on the magazine/ round in the mag, and not completing a full cycle. Would it make a difference I'm using a Nazi marked magazine or are they all the same?

Hi:

If you have already followed my advice above, very carefully keep loading up by 1/10th of a grain increments until the action will hold open with only one round being feed from the magazine (while watching very carefully for pressure signs). If you can't get the pistol to hold open, within just a few more tenths of a grain, stop and consult a gunsmith!

Will your pistol work with any brand of commercial ammo?

If you think your magazine may have a weak spring, invest in a newly manufacured Mec-Gar (Italian made) magazine. These are the best on the commercial market and work well with most applications.

Take heart, you are experiencing the archtypical Luger Jam!

Keep working!!

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 02-18-2009 at 05:55 AM.