LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
Grasshopper
User

Default Best magazines?

I am a new Luger owner...just picked it up a couple of days ago. I'm not new to shooting by any means, and I'm not new to shooting older weapons. However, I AM new to the Luger, so I want to get the insight of those who have gone before.....

My Luger is a non-matching 1936, but the frame number and barrel number are only a few hundred apart. The bluing is quite good...most of it is there, and the lettering still sharp. The toggle is older...(byf 16), and it has been cold blued to match the rest of the gun (although the coloring is very slightly darker. The bore is perfect, and the mechanics are sound. The wood grips are intact, and in very good condition.

The Luger is in 9mm, and it is another step in my 'German Combat Pistol' evolution. I've now got a Luger, a P1 and an H&K P7...all in the same caliber, which is good. My next step is to get a Broomhandle, so I'm about to start my research on that.

At any rate, the Luger I picked up came with one magazine...non-matching. It is a stainless (appears to be) Erma magazine with a black plastic base, and it actually looks to me as if it's not seen any use.

Basically, I would like to have two good magazines for it. By good, I mean 'functional'...I'm not concerned with 'collectible'...I'm wanting them to work. So, what magazines should I get? Which ones should I avoid? Is the one that I have ok?

Insight and advice is GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!
Unread 06-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Reliable original: fxo
Reliable aftermarket: Mec Gar
Original folded steel magazines are usually worn out (springs or feed lips)
Some people like Triple-K, but they only hold 7 rounds

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Sieger
User

Default Luger Magazines

Grasshopper:

I second the motion for the Mec Gar product. They are Italian made and of good quality. In my opinion, however, Triple-K magazines are a total joke, and are to be avoided!

With Luger magazines, unless they are bent or otherwise altered, proper function is usually all in the spring. If your Erma magazine spring is within spec, it should function properly.

Mec Gars are not perfect, but with "normal" strength ammo, they work quite well.

We have a member named GT that can provide proper springs for your magazines if malfunctions do occur.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Heinz
User

MecGars that have GT springs are very good magazines. The very best are the WWII era "extruded" magazines, either marked Haenel Schmeiser or FXO. One of the extruded magazines found with a broken plastic bottom and resprung with GT springs and a replacement bottom would be the best you could have and would probably total about 200 dollars. Extruded was put into quotes because I understand they were actually a welded two piece construction. They can be identified by the machined rebate at the top of the mag as opposed to the flatenned out seam of the Imperial style magazine.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Grasshopper
User

Thank you all for the info!!!

As to proper functioning ammo, I've read the following (some of it from this forum):

One school of thought is that 124gr. ammo at plus P velocities is best.

However, another school of thought stated that a powder with a medium burn rate was better for reliability, even if the ammo was NOT hot. The suggestion was that Winchester White Box, 115gr. ammo should provide good function...

Winchester White Box is not hot by any means, but if it has a reputation of functioning reliably in Lugers, then perhaps there is something to the claim...

Any further thoughts would be appreciated...

THANKS!
Unread 06-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Marlan,

The "hot ammo" myth indeed results from the use of fast-burning powder, which provides a shorter reactive impulse. It takes more of this powder to provide the energy equivalent to slower powder with longer reactive impulse. +P ammunition will beat your Luger to death.

Winchester 100-round white-box from WalMart still makes for the most economical (read: cheapest) reliable commercial 9mm ammunition for the Luger. I don't know of anyone on these boards who experiences unreliablility from this ammunition; my own experience is shooting thousands of rounds without failure.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Grasshopper
User

Dwight, thank you, that really helps!!!
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
The Virginian
User

I ordered 3 Mec-Gar Mags and I will report how they work in my Lugers.
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
cma22inc
User

Mec-Gar and Walmart White box all the way.

My Fin loves the stuff.
cma22inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
The Virginian
User

The Mec-Gars worked perfectly this weekend in my WWII DWM arsenal rebuild shooter. Not one jam from the Mec-Gars and the only jam I had using Winchester White box was with the original magazine. The other aftermarket 7 round magazine I tried was JUNK. I could not load it to save my like I think it is a Triple K?
Unread 12-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
wlw4281
New User

Exclamation catastrophic magazine failure

Loaded what I thought, was new MEC-GAR magazine and had a catastrophic magazine failure after about 3 rounds. The bottom of the magazine blew off. All I had left was a spring and shell of magazine, (See Attached pictures).
Have you ever had this type of failure? I have not. Could it be the pistol did not fully go to battery and still fire? This might have caused the extreme pressure to blow out the plastic magazine bottom, either that or magazine was faulty. Let me know your thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MEC-GAR Magazine fail 1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	3776  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MEC-GAR Magazine fail 2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	3777  

wlw4281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Mec-gar

Hi wlw4281 and all! What you see is the most common failure of the MEC-GAR assembly, it is a potential failure point in almost all of them as when they're press pinned at the rear, it almost always splits the bottom piece at the rear spine.... I have replaced dozens of the plastic bottoms out for wood or aluminum, and it makes the mag. virtualy fail safe...aluminum bottom, totaly fail proof... The springs are another issue and will take an on-going progressive set, and begin affecting performance in about fifty cycles or so.... But, with the aformentioned problems solveable, they are a great value for there cost, and can be turned into a great looking and extremely servicable magazine, and right out of the bucket, are the best aftermarket mag around..... Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #13
jonnyc
User

Are your upgrades available as a kit, or is it a "send in" job?
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #14
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default MEC-GAR upgrades...

Hi jonnyc, Lugerdoc has all my replacement items for sale...but, it is probably best to send me the mag. for this modification, as I check for overall fit and function, and, as there is tight custom fitting and repinning of the new bottom, it is best left to me, as i have plenty of tools, and parts, in case i break something... If you supply the MEC-GAR mag. it is a $50.00 upgrade with a wood bottom, aluminum is $75.00 ... If I supply the MEC-GAR mag. it is $35.00 extra in either case.. The bright nickel mag. with a nice figure walnut bottom has been the most popular... also includes new GTHQ follower spring, new follower spring cap (closer tolerance), and two new blued retaining pins, installation of all and return postage... I have had excellent results wiht the above modifications, and it has worked well in a lot of forum members Lugers, one or two have been noted that didn't work in guns that have had trouble with any magazine tried, so we are inconclusive in those applications, as i suspect issues with the gun itself... 99% success so far... As for the "fxo" type, Heinz mentioned, modified and converted, with a new alum. bottom, that would certainly be an excellent combination, I have done a few, (lot'sa work!!!), with excellent results, both in function and cosmetic... and would be around the $200.00 when completed with components all furnished by me.... BTW, A heart felt thanks to all my loyal customers over the past few years, feeling the excitement when I can do something nice, once and awhile, for this group, has been a great source of enjoyment for me... Best to all, and just let me know jonnyc, no hurry, best to all, til....lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
Grasshopper
User

G.T., I may be interested in a couple of those magazines...with the wood bases. I just acquired my second Luger. My first one is absolutely reliable (100%) with an Erma, and a Triple K magazine. The second Luger has a magazine that is 'hard to load', and I purchased a second Triple K. Neither one is absolutely reliable, but the Triple K works better in it. Anyway, I'm going to try out the second Luger with the magazines from the first one...that will let me know if the problem is magazine related. I'll try that this weekend, and take it from there...