LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-28-2015, 02:13 AM   #1
gvf
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I'm in Niagara County and our process is exactly like Dave describes here -

...And only then can you take it home. If bought out of state and shipped to your FFL receiver, no state/county sales tax [8%].

We pay the FFL receiver for the FFL transfer & NICS check, not the permit clerk. Registration is $3.00 per visit (any number of additions/subtractions). We just changed over to the plastic wallet-sized permit cards. And they keep changing them (thumbprint, no thumbprint; full page, bordered; etc).

Is Dianne Arnett still the Erie County Pistol Permit Clerk??? Or one of the clerks???
I've never seen her unless she's at a desk. They're used to be a real nice guy who seemed in charge, African American older man, couldn't be nicer. I find all those who work in the Permit Office are very friendly and helpful. Yes we pay the Permit Office the same for paperwork. We just have the plastic card with photo and profession, no prints, and any County restrictions that are put on it. Mine is "Unrestricted".

For those not familiar with NY State Permits, the State Permit is for Carry, but counties are given leeway to put restrictions on permits, like "Target and Hunting Only". They are county ordinances not state gun law. Some counties use them, some don't, and some, like mine, after a year of a restriction are pretty willing to take that off and the Permit becomes Unrestricted.
gvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Tom Nowling
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvf View Post
I've never seen her unless she's at a desk. They're used to be a real nice guy who seemed in charge, African American older man, couldn't be nicer. I find all those who work in the Permit Office are very friendly and helpful. Yes we pay the Permit Office the same for paperwork. We just have the plastic card with photo and profession, no prints, and any County restrictions that are put on it. Mine is "Unrestricted".

For those not familiar with NY State Permits, the State Permit is for Carry, but counties are given leeway to put restrictions on permits, like "Target and Hunting Only". They are county ordinances not state gun law. Some counties use them, some don't, and some, like mine, after a year of a restriction are pretty willing to take that off and the Permit becomes Unrestricted.

Wow..I cannot believe the hoops you guys have to jump through! So glad I live in Fla!!
Tom Nowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nowling View Post
Wow..I cannot believe the hoops you guys have to jump through! So glad I live in Fla!!
They keep changing the permits themselves. I attached a scan of the old permit with attached purchase coupon (new permit underneath). Up until a few years ago, this was what you carried. Too big for your wallet, and if you folded it and it wore in half, it was not considered legal. Now we have a plastic wallet sized card. It has a color photo, and until recently had your thumbprint. They eliminated the thumbprint.

They also eliminated your keeping a purchase coupon to carry for a future purchase. Now the couplon is issued to you only after producing a receipt from the seller [or FFL receiver] and must be given to the seller before you can receive the handgun [and after the NICS check].

In the past, you were also encouraged to have your spouse get a permit and have all your handguns put on it. The police will receive notice of your death and be on your doorstep within 2 days to confiscate your handguns. Now, the spouse can no longer have your handguns on their permit. Or receive them after your death. Transfer has to be through an FFL holder with a NICS chack.

You could also get additional purchase coupons to take to a dealer or gun show. I still have several old coupons - no longer allowed.

New York State: If there's not enough criminals, the State will manufacture them.

/rant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old-permit.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	50698  

Click image for larger version

Name:	charlie-permit3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	50701  

Last edited by sheepherder; 07-29-2015 at 02:35 PM.
sheepherder is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
gvf
User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nowling View Post
So, in order to register my new gun, I drove for a half-hour from my home to my range and store which I use as my FFL dealer. They had already been sent the gun by the Seller's FFL (which was his store). There I went through various paperwork and was NICS-Checked. Then I drove for 45-50 min to the Pistol Permit Office downtown and turned in the paperwork from the FFL Dealer and the Pistol Permit Office gave my Release Coupon and my permit back now with the Luger and serial number printed on the back of the card. Then I drove the 45-50 min back to my range and store FFL Dealer, gave the paperwork from the Permit Office plus my permit with the Luger on it to them. They gave it back and Then I was given my gun legally in a ritual blood-letting ceremony where my blood is mixed with the blood of my FFL Dealer while range-employees chant.

Then I went home with my "new: Luger.

(Of course the Blood Letting Ceremony was a joke.)

My initial wait for my Permit when I got it in 2007 was 9 months.

With all of this though, I actually like a lot of my state's regulations though some are nullified by something out of NY's control. But that gets into political hot potatoes which very happily these forums seem free of.

I think the electronic registration for guns our colleague wrote about is very good and my county will likely get it if some others have it now.
gvf is offline   Reply With Quote