LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-22-2002, 07:23 AM   #1
hatch
User

Post General handling and Luger operations

I may have simply missed it, but is there a document on the forum which discusses proper techniques for loading, firing, carrying, etc?

TIA. Hatch
hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2002, 09:21 AM   #2
Roadkill
User

Morning, Hatch.

There will be many opinions on this and lots of advice, but I'll get mine in first. A Luger at best is a 50 year old gun and if has not been mechanically upgraded (springs, magazines, sometimes ejector, firing pin) it stands a good chance of not working right. If this will be an often used shooter, replace the mainspring and get new magazines. There are discussions here by the hour on how to get a Luger to function correctly. So I'm making these statements based on the fact the the gun is mechanically sound and functions properly.

A Luger has no hammer. So when you pull the toggle back and release it it is ready to fire and will do so unless prevented.

The magazine is not a "slam it in" type, Most are too tight. The magazine release button is held by a slender flat spring by the lip of the release button. It will not take a lot of banging. Recommend ease mag in with the release button pushed in, then release when magazine is fully inserted. Then check to see it has engaged magazine by pulling down. This will save lots of misunderstandings.

When chambering, pull toggle ALL the way back and release it. Don't ride it down. Make sure toggle is locked by pushing it down with thumb.

I rarely take the safety off on mine cause I load it, shoot it empty, and then put it down.

Lugers shoot high. Aim low, then drop it down lower.

Make sure the small sping is in the takedown lever. If not the lever can drop down resulting in the sideplate falling off.

Use grease on the rails.

Replace origonal grips or make sure they are tight before firing.

Use the lowest velocity ammo that makes the gun work correctly.

As far as a carry weapon, I think consensus is to get something more modern. I love my semiautos but keep a Colt .357 for real stuff.

Good luck with the gun.

Rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2002, 12:47 PM   #3
hatch
User

Thanks, RoadKill. I'll let you know how it performs.

Hatch
hatch is offline   Reply With Quote