LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 03-21-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
JohnF
User

Post P.06 Manufacture Date

Am I right in thinking that my P.06 unaltered Luger S/N 3305a would have been made in 1906 or was it made before then?
Still's Imperial Lugers mentioned that the first 8000 pistols were to have been delivered before May 1906 but that's all I've been able to find.
Any help would be appreciated.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 12:56 AM   #2
Big Norm
RIP

I assume that you are talking about the navy P-04 (Model 1906) Luger that was manufactured for the 1906 navy contract. There are three versions of the 1906 P-04 with a grip saftey. All navy Lugers are P-04's because that is the year that the German navy first approved them.
(1) First issue unaltered. The safety (GESIGHERT) marking is in the lower position.
(2) First issue altered. The safety (GESIGHERT) was fixed so that the safety mark was in the upper position. The word 'GESIGHERT' that previously was in the lower position was visually ground or otherwise removed.
(3) Second issue. This was the final configuration of the safety and came off of the assembly line with the safety 'GESIGHERT' in the upper position. There would be no marks indicating the removal of the word 'GESIGHERT' from the lower position.
(4) Another version would be the same as #1 above but would be marked in commercial style with no military inspection marks for the commercial market.
To answer your question, your P-04 would have been approved by the German navy in 1904 and manufactured in 1905 or 1906 for a 1906 contract delivery date.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote