LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
ieyres
User

Default WW1 lugers used in WW2...

Hello all,
Just wondered if I can pick the forum’s collective brain on this one. Hopefully it’s not a dumb question…..

Would every WW1 luger (i.e. one with imperial proof marks) that was reused in the Second World War have had a Nazi proof mark of some sort?

I can’t seem to find much info about how many Lugers / side arms remained in the remnants of the German army post WW1, not sure if they would have rolled over into the re armed army as momentum built in the late 30’s & into the 40’s, or if perhaps they would have all been re worked and re issued as a matter of course.

I’m not sure if this can be answered with absolute 100% accuracy, I guess the only way to be sure that some were not re proofed / stamped would be to have a guaranteed vet bring back with rock solid provenance that didn’t have a mark.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance
ieyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,893 Times in 1,189 Posts

It's easy to answer: No. If a gun was in serviceable condition, it would remain in use as it was.

Only when serious repairs were made, that made reproofing necessary, guns would be reproofed (sometimes only the barrels).
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieyres View Post

I’m not sure if this can be answered with absolute 100% accuracy, I guess the only way to be sure that some were not re proofed / stamped would be to have a guaranteed vet bring back with rock solid provenance that didn’t have a mark.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance
Hi Iain, I don't think a WW1 Luger would be re-marked during the Third Reich unless it had been worked on in some way. I have a DWM 1st Issue, that I posted a while back on the other forum (see link), that definitely saw service in both wars and was not re-marked. Regards, Norm

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=21723
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
ieyres
User

Thanks for the quick replies, I’ve just brought a 1916 DMW that was taken from a German soldier by a 1st British airborne soldier at Arnhem. All matching numbers (except the 2 wooden based mags & the firing pin assy which has been removed at some point over the years) All the usual DWM / imperial proof marks (but non nazi, hence the question)

It’s in a quite worn but sound condition (as is the holster) so its seen some use.

It’s been deactivated to UK standards  which is a necessary evil over here.

Just in the process of giving it all a good look over to see what stories it can tell.

The Vet’s still alive & has been well quoted in the local papers over the years, so his memories are recorded for future generations, which is pretty cool.
Unread 08-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
glock30
User

Not at all. My firend has a 1916 DWM bring back and it has no Nazi proofs on it. It was taken off an officer and as his father brought it back from Italy, it did not have the correct magazine. He also aquired a Polish Radom and this has Nazi marks on it. Somehow the gun had a loading tool with it also. This by the way was the first Luger I have ever seen. I fell in love with them ever since.
glock30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Good question, and as they said, sometimes they will be reworked.

But you have to be careful when you hear reworked or arsenal refurbished, it is an easy out.

I see many Simson lugers that have sear safeties, and a lot of dealers say they are reworked, but they were simply bought by the police and safeties added by the police armory, no other (or very little) refurbishing would be necessary.

However, you will find breachblocks with SU25 or barrels and those went through a pre-nazi / nazi refurb.

So, you see it, but not often.

Many tens of thousands of lugers were hidden after WW1 and then issued after the treaty was tossed out.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
ieyres
User

Thanks guys,

Does anyone happen to have a good photo or two of the correct firing pin setup for a 1916 DWM (i'm guessing they would have all been numbered on that model)

I'll try and pick one up this weekend, so it would be nice to know (if i have a choice) what type of pin to look for.

thanks in advance.....
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Here you go. Regards, Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4185.jpg