LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-08-2001, 11:54 PM   #1
BILL
User

Default Profile benefit

After all this time (with this wonderful updated forum format) I finally read all the instructions on creating a profile. I have been using all caps for my name (because there were so many people with the name Bill posting here. I now see that, once registered, no one can post with your name except the registered user. So, BILL is now Bill. Does anyone know what holster types were being made for the Luger in between WWI and WWII? Not that they would have been issued with them, but all the Luger holster manufacturers must have had something to do during these times. Bill

Unread 03-09-2001, 07:01 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Profile benefit

Bill,

The holsters used during the Weimar era were new manufacture, reworked WWI Artillery holsters, some reworked revolver holster, and I feel, anything the Germans could get their hands on. In addition, there were a lot of commercial holsters on the market that were identical to the military holsters except there were no military stamps or "P.08" stamps on the back. Some of these commercial holsters had a makers stamp and some didn't. The Weimar holsters are not rare, but sometimes difficult to identify.

Marvin

Unread 03-09-2001, 08:32 AM   #3
tom heller

Default Re:Weimar holsters

Bill, I agree with Marvins comments in that do to Germany's financial straights after WW1 I doubt that there were any new contracts for military PO8 holsters. Many of the excess WW1 surplus ones were reworked for the commerical market and the only new production dated ones that I've seen from the late 20s or early 30s were Police marked.

Unread 03-09-2001, 08:05 PM   #4
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Profile benefit

Hi Bill,

I didn't even know what a "profile" was until I saw your post - just goes to show how observant I am! I've followed your lead, and done up a bit of a profile and even included a photo. I confess the photo is not what anyone would call recent [chuckle] but it's still me

Danged if I knew what to put in a profile....

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 03-10-2001, 01:07 PM   #5
Patrick
User

Default P 08 Holsters

Prior to 21/09/1915, Prussian Army leather was stored in a natural tan colour and was blackened as the need arose. Some units used natural tan, others black. From 1915 on, leather items were to be stored in natural tan but blackened on issue. Officers mainly preferred tan holsters. P 08 holsters can be various shades of tan, boot-blackened or black. There are three basic types of holsters for the Luger P 08. The first were re-worked, dark tan M/79 and M/83 Reichsrevolver holsters. The second type was specifically made for the P 08. The magazine pouch was sewn onto the side of the holster; the lid was attached to the back with a leather strip which acted as a hinge; the belt loops were not slanted. Production of the third type of P 08 holster started in 1928. The belt loops are slanted, the lid is stitched directly to the back; the back of the holster protrudes to form the back of the magazine pouch and there is a horizontal line of stitching halfway down the back. These holsters were cheaper to make but some workshops made hybrid holsters that were a mixture of both the first and the second type. There was a discussion on the Board a while back resulting from a CMR replica holster that was of the second type which was not considered to be genuine. Patrick

Unread 03-12-2001, 10:51 AM   #6
Dok
RIP

Default Great Profile, Kyrie...

and now how about a photo for the Rogues Gallery? Or do we have to use "the cat" on you too???!!!