LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 08-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
dacotua
User

Default 1942 Luger (Issue #2)

Ok, sorry guys, just did a search and can not find anything thats close to my issue.

I just replaced all the "Coil" springs on my 1942 Police Mauser Luger. The gun shoots fine but I'm getting a failure to properly eject on the gun.

The shot brass is pulled from the chamber, the toggle goes to the rear, picks up a new round out of the magazine and starts pushing the new cartridge into the chamber. BUT the old brass is caught by the toggle and locks it against the toggle and the frame of the pistol right above the chamber.

Yes there is a new round thats almost all the way into the chamber, but the old spent brass is lodge above it between the toggle and the frame.

Any ideas?

This is my first luger and I'm learning a lot from this forum. I figure once I fix this issue my gun will run 100%.
dacotua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
DTR04
User

Broken ejector?
DTR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
dacotua
User

Extractor and ejector looks fine. The extractor passes through the bolt and should push the brass off the face of the bolt. Looks triangular.

The ejector always pulls the brass out of the chamber.

I wasnt sure if the ejector can get weak and not work properly?
Unread 08-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

If it comes out of the chamber then the extractor is OK, but if it's not being pitched clear of the gun then the ejector is suspect. Try a new one, as sometimes the old one wears a bit.
OR, given that you have just changed the spring, then consider that it is stiffer than normal and the toggle is not traveling back far enough or fast enough to completely eject the brass. That is where I'd look. While hot ammo is not recommended in the P08, personally if I had some around I'd try a couple of rounds to see if THEY eject.
My $.02.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 08-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

Did it eject ok before you "fixed" it?

If so put the old mainspring back in it.

What David said in post $#4 above is likely the case.
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 08-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
FleetMan
User

Since this is your first Luger, have you tried a more firm grip when shooting. A less than firm grip ofter results in "stove pipes" when shooting the Luger. That was my problem, concentrating on my grip solved it for me.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to FleetMan for your post:
Unread 08-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
dacotua
User

It ejected, but had another issue before I put new springs in it. The toggle would not have enough energy to load the next round into the chamber. Sometimes it would but 20% of the time it wouldn't. It would also jam like I posted above.

The new springs cured the toggle not having enough energy to load the next round, and now I've concentrated on this issue. I just figured before it was due to an issue with the gun that was also causing this issue.

(Yes I'm holding the gun very securely and its still doing the same thing.)

My gut is telling me its the ejector, but it does not appear to be broken. This evening (after I shot the gun and this issue is still there), I decided to remove the ejector and put more of a "bow" in the spring. I've reinstalled it and now hand cycling, the brass is thrown further out of the gun.

I was just posting for suggestions or if someone else has had this issue they could chime in.
Unread 08-02-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
4 Scale
User

It's not unusual to fix one thing and find something else acting up. Lugers are a balanced system.

I don't think it's the mainspring, as the toggle is coming back far enough to push a new round off the magazine.

I would suspect extractor, extractor spring, and ejector in about that order. Also perhaps remove the extractor and clean that area. This is where it's helpful to have more than one, to swap parts for testing.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Curly1
User

What brand of ammo are you using?

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
dacotua
User

Winchester 115gr and 124gr. Both do the same
Unread 08-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
Zorba
User

Another thing to try is removing the extractor, and cleaning/oiling everything in that area really well. That fixed a similar issue I was having with my Nambu.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #12
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Another place to look is the breechface. Be sure that there is no buildup of crud(scientific term) where the casehead fits into the breechface. I had a buildup in that area that caused a problem. It doesn't take a lot to be problematic. Remove the firing pin and spring, then place a cartridge into the breechface and see if the extractor is holding it firmly in place.....it should if everything is correct.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote