LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 12-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
toolmanmarv
User

Default questions on shooting

Good evening, gentlemen: I'm fairly new to the forum. I did a couple of posts months ago to get some ID info on my gun, but nothing since then. I inherited what I believe to be a 1915 P-08which was a WWII "bring back". All numbers match and I don't believe this would be what you would classify as your "average shooter". I don't know when it was last shot or if it even has been since the end of WWII, but I'd really like to know if it works. I was concerned about the risks of using modern ammunition in a gun this old, but from what I've read here, it appears I'd be safe using the Winchester 115 gr. 9mm. That still leaves me wondering what I need to do to get it ready for shooting and what risks are involved, such as breaking something, when I do finally shoot it. I would appreciate any advice. I sure don't want to damage a weapon of this quality out of ignorance. Thanks.....Marv
toolmanmarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Marv,

First Welcome to the Lugerforum

If your Luger is in great shpe and all matching parts, there are many who would not risk shooting it for fear of damaging the collector value by the loss of a part broken. I would not hesitate to shoot your "new" Luger, after making sure that it was clean and lubricated. Get no oil on the grips please... 60 year old wood should not be soaked in oil. Winchester 115gr. "white box" ammunition is recommended and is usually available at Walmart.

After shooting it just for the experience, I would clean it again and retire it... if you are as enthusiastic as your appear to be, you should hunt down a "shooter" class (mixmatched parts) Luger for your future shooting enjoyment...

Please show us some nice photos of your Luger... Closeups in sharp focus... top, both sides, and the front of the frame above the trigger guard where the main serial number is located, and the bottom of the barrel. Then we can better advise you on what you have, and what it is worth in the collector market.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
toolmanmarv
User

JS - Thanks for the info and the welcome. I'll try to get some pictures soon, but digital cameras are near the top of the long list of things I'm not very good with. I have thought about trying to pick up a "frankenpistol" just for shooting, but just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks again.....Marv
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
toolmanmarv
User

John: Attached are some photos as you requested. Not sure they're clear/close enough, but best I can do. Pictures of bottom of barrel show many small "light spots" that are apparently light from the flash reflecting off something - maybe pitting in the finish. These spots aren't visible in normal light. Any ideas what this is and how to remove it? Let me know if I need to try more pictures.....Marv

OK. Just tried to upload attachments and not sure it worked. Not the same procedure as with normal email. Let me know if they came thru.....Marv
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Marv, I moved this posting to its own posting, much better to have a thread you started.

Also, posting pictures is not like emailing. it is kinda, but you pick the pictures, upload them and then they show.

If imperfections only show in a flash picture, then I would not worry about it in real life. As long as it is properly oiled, you will be good to go, that and proper storage.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
toolmanmarv
User

Thanks Ed: I did upload the pictures, but couldn't find anything to let me know if it was successful. Did they come through?...Marv