LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 05-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
WildKarrde
User

Default Hello from New Member w/ #'s Matching 1920's "Safe and Loaded" Luger P08

Hello all! Just wanted to introduce myself here. I've been an aspiring Luger P00-08 owner for nearly my entire life. Up until a couple days ago it was like a unicorn to me though, I knew where to find them, I could just never afford one. Then a friend starts asking me what guns are worth, and I find out she's selling the guns from her brothers estate. I ask her what she's selling, and she obviously doesn't know what they are... just what she's been told, or read on the stamps. Then I find out her husband is selling a Ruger .22 and a WW2 Luger.

Wait, a what!?

I tell her I probably can't afford it, but I'm interested, please send some pics. Later that night I get a picture of the right side of the gun, and the top. The only visible markings were what I later learned to be the signature of the DWM factory in Berlin. I was haunted by the gun all night.... I had always thought markings were the sign of a valuable example. Maybe I could afford this one? I started going through my gun collection, and deciding what I could sell quickly at a loss to pay for the Luger. I tried to read as much as I could about how to identify Luger's, but didn't find much that pertained to this gun.

I texted her the next day that I intended on making her an offer for the gun. Later that day I saw her at a coffee shop I frequent, and told her I had no idea what the pistol was worth, but I was interested in seeing it and making an offer. She made the comment that she didn't really care if she sold it for less than it's worth, she just needed the money, and she knew it was a special pistol to me. I told her the least I would offer was roughly what a mismatched numbers, refinished pistol was worth, and when I said the number she said "I'll take it."

So, I agreed to buy it, barring there was nothing catastrophically wrong with it, and saw the pistol a few hours later. I gave it a quick inspection. noticed the barrel slid across the frame about half an inch or so, and the action wouldn't stay down. But for the price we agreed on, I couldn't lose that much on even a broken one, and I was helping a friend, so I followed through with the purchase.

After further research, and asking the people over at gunboards.com, before I found this place, I learned that my pistol is what I listed in the thread title. After taking some time trying to figure out what was wrong with the barrel, I decided to field strip the gun. Upon reassembly, I learned that a previous owner at some point didn't seat the barrel to interact with the mainspring properly. After reassembly, the barrel was seated properly, and the action worked perfectly, score!!!

A bit later, I decided to do a full cleaning of the gun, no telling when the last time that happened, at least 10 years ago, and it was utterly filthy. Looking for help fully disassembling my gun is when I found this forum, thanks for the help guys. This is when I confirmed that the gun was #'s matching... awesome!!! Mostly awesome... I like shooting my guns, and I've never owned a safe queen. But after learning my pistol might be worth at least three times what I paid for it... I'm a bit nervous about shooting it. I certainly won't lose money if a part breaks and I must replace it, but this gun is a piece of history that God himself (as far as I'm concerned) has entrusted to my care, and it would really suck if I was responsible for destroying an original part on it. I'd still like to put at least a box of ammo through it, but I need to do some more research first to feel comfortable with that. Since it's chambered in 7.62, maybe its safer to shoot than a 9mm anyway.

But anyway, enough with the ramblings, here's my gun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	41505  

Name:	IMG_0333.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	41506  

Name:	IMG_0334.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	41507  

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	41508  

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	41509  

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	41510  

WildKarrde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Patronen
User

Welcome to the forum.
I saw your pistol over on Jan C Still's forum. That is an interesting Commercial variation. When Collecting guns, sometimes the gun just finds you.
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

IIRC 'Safe & Loaded' were applied to Stoeger imports back then. Is your commercial marked with any import marking?? 7.65 Parabellum ammunition is made & distributed by Fiocchi for about half the cost of Winchester...

It's [to me] kind of a cool addition/start to your collection.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
WildKarrde
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronen View Post
Welcome to the forum.
I saw your pistol over on Jan C Still's forum. That is an interesting Commercial variation. When Collecting guns, sometimes the gun just finds you.
That's a gorgeous Luger in your avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
IIRC 'Safe & Loaded' were applied to Stoeger imports back then. Is your commercial marked with any import marking?? 7.65 Parabellum ammunition is made & distributed by Fiocchi for about half the cost of Winchester...

It's [to me] kind of a cool addition/start to your collection.
That's the weird thing... the gun has virtually no markings on it. Under the serial number at the front of the frame, "GERMANY" is stamped. There is a crowned N above the serial number marking on the bottom of the barrel, on the action as seen in picture #4, and above the barrel release lever. That's it, other than the commercially placed serial numbers. There are no markings from Stoeger on the pistol, best I can tell.
The following member says Thank You to WildKarrde for your post:
Unread 05-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
JTD
User

In that era, the Germany stamp was the import mark, or better said, country of origin. Nice honest pistol. John
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
WildKarrde
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD View Post
In that era, the Germany stamp was the import mark, or better said, country of origin. Nice honest pistol. John
Ok, cool. Learning more and more about this pistol, thanks! It's at the gunsmith now for an evaluation on authenticity and if it's safe to shoot.
Unread 05-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
rolandtg
User

Interesting that it apparently came with a Hi-Power holster. Is the holster marked in any way?
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 12:57 AM   #8
WildKarrde
User

I don't recall any markings on the holster... it's at a gunsmith being evaluated right now though, so I don't have access to inspect it ATM.
Unread 05-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

As to the holster, check the front flap under the fastening strap. The markings should be there.
Unread 05-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Also, if the Safe and Loaded pistol is all matching, shooting it might reduce the value. Especialy, is a part was to break.
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum, nice first luger.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
WildKarrde
User

So I got the pistol back from the gunsmith today. It got a stamp of strong health, perfectly safe to shoot. He confirmed all original parts on it, and no signs of refinishing. The right side grip chip is still there a well, luckily.

The holster, on the other hand, is pretty interesting. When I asked about the pistol, the owner said that her husbands father was the original owner. Then the next day, she said something about him bringing it back from WW2. That makes more sense now. Any idea what this is worth? Or more info on it's origins? I know what the top marking is, but curious about the "cgn 4".

The code under the Waffenamt reads WaA920.

Last edited by WildKarrde; 05-06-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Unread 05-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #13
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

cgn 4

Made in 1944 by Rohrbacher Lederfabrik, Joseph Poeschl’s Söhne
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Nice gun. The gunsmith should straighten it out for you. I am sure it will be safe to shoot. It looks in the photos like it had been improperly assembled and the rear hooks had not engaged the recoil spring... an easy fix.

Welcome to the Luger owning fraternity... it is contageous. You have been warned.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote