LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 11-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
Big Norm
RIP

Default My New 1914 DWM Artillery

I just received my newest addition to my artillery collection - a 1914 DWM artillery (serial #262) w/original bluing and strawing. What makes this one sorta special is that this is my first Luger with unit markings. On the front grip strap there are markings 67.R.M.G.97. I think this is a machine gun marking. I am not certain if the capital 'R' is for a reserve unit.

The gun has usage wear on it with some dents on the bottom of the barrel. But I will still put it in the high 80% to low 90% bluing. There is 'GERMANY' export markings on the left and right side of the frame rails but no importers markings. The strawing MAY be redone but not badly. All numbers match, including the one on the base of the front blade sight and the firing pin. The grips look original but the full three digit serial numbers are stamped underneath both grips. All other marked grips that I have seen just had the last two digits of the serial numbers stamped there. Maybe because this is a three digit numbered gun they decided to go crazy with their stamps.

The bore has light pitting but the rifling is very good. The only thing that someone did to the gun, that is definite, is that the locking pin under the barrel has been filed down in front to make the locking bolt easier to unlock the receiver from the frame.

I have to stop my insane fixation with the 1914 DWM artilleries. This make four of them that I have. Doug Smith thinks that I am trying to corner the market. I can't afford to do that. Sometime, in the near future, I am thinking about unloading one of my other 1914 DWM artilleries. Oh Cripe!! Ed Tinkers going to yell at me again for not posting pictures. I hope he is not reading this post.

Anybody out there have a wood bottom magazine with my serial number on it.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

WHERE THE HECK IS THE PICTURES!!!!

spending money on lugers and not a camera, again... ;
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
Pete Ebbink
User

Hey Norm...

Since you are vacuuming up all the 1914 DWM arty's...take a lot at this one on G-B...cannot tell but it might not be original finish...???

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?item=39721908
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2005, 04:49 AM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Pete,
thanks for mentioning it. Can't tell much from the pictures. The locking bolt looks untouched and the last two serial numbers are '89'. The front sights are adjustible. But thats not enough for me. I would like to see the holster and to know if it comes with the gun. I wonder if it has the cup and the straps. Whats the total serial number of the gun? Certainly some better pictures are in order.

But I am getting ready for deer hunting now, so I will have to pass on this one. I'll be gone for two weeks unless I get REAL lucky. Maybe beyond REAL lucky, if you knew how I shoot. But I love Northern Michigan so who cares if I actually get a deer? Does that sound like I am actually telling the truth?
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote