LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-04-2002, 05:11 PM   #1
Clay

Default DWM Luger

What a great website this is! I wanted to ask the group about a luger my Dad recently gave me. He bought it at a pawn shop in VA in 1958. It has DWM on the top and 1910 towards the barrel. It has all matching serial numbers including 2 matching magazines. The number under the barrel is 6509 and other parts have 09 on them. There is a cursive "L" under the number on the barrel. It has the original finish with only slight holster wear on the side plate. Strawing is about 90% according to my gun dealer. The barrel is in perfect condition and my Dad says it has been fired very little since he has owned it. It also comes with a holster that has JR127 and BAXIII 1913 printed on the inside. Karl Elsasser Stuggart 1913 is imprinted inside the holster as well along with a small tool in a pouch. Can anyone tell me what they know about my gun based on what I've posted? Any idea as to it's value? Thanks!

Clay

Unread 03-04-2002, 05:21 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Welcome to the Lugerforum Clay... :)

Condition is everything where market value is concerned... Your pistol could be worth a few hundred or a couple of thousand dollars based on condition with the accessories you mentioned.

Would it be possible for you to post some color photographs of your Luger and it's accessories to enable the forum members to make a more accurate judgement on it's value?

If you need some help with the photography or posting photographs, feel free to contact me via email...

You are also invited to open a user profile and tell us a little about yourself... read a few of the existing profiles to get an idea of what to put in yours. You don't have to reveal any information about yourself that you are not comfortable revealing in a public forum... Opening a profile locks your userID so that no one else can post as YOU... A usser profile is optional.

The only time it becomes a requirement is if you want your own photo posted in the Rogues Gallery, or photos of your Luger(s) posted permanently in the Owner's Gallery... This is also encouraged

Once again welcome.

regards,

John Sabato

Unread 03-04-2002, 07:34 PM   #3
Clay

Default Re: Welcome to the Lugerforum Clay... :)

Thanks for the warm welcome John. I hope I uploaded my pic correctly.

Clay

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/luger1.JPG

Unread 03-04-2002, 07:54 PM   #4
Thor
User

WOW....nice LUGER!!!!!! Thor

Unread 03-04-2002, 07:58 PM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,122 Times in 1,433 Posts

Clay, I saw one just like the one you describe sold at the last Yuma AZ gun show. two matching mags , holster and tool for $1500.00 Jerry Burney

Unread 03-04-2002, 08:00 PM   #6
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Ummm - Clay..???!!! :)

HOLLLEEEEE SMOKES!!!

I was just getting ready to reply to a few personal e-mails (Thanks G.T!) and Thor's post - and I saw this post/picture come up....

Now - I'm *not* an Imperial Luger wiz - but that picture is beautiful!!! Especially if that is the original blue/straw..! OK - a couple of comments...

A chamber date of 1910 marks the year of production for your pistol. According to Jan Still (who is an author/publisher and noted Luger authority), the 1910 chamber dated Lugers were serialized between in the "b", "c" and "d" suffix. You mentioned that your suffix appeared as an "L" - so you may want to refer to this page - http://www.lugerforum.com/lugermarkings/suffix.html and see if your "L" really isn't a "b" or another letter in cursive? (Maybe other folks can help out here??)... Also, correctly, there isn't a stock lug. Do you know if your Luger has a "hold open" (with an empty mag - if you pul the toggles all the way back, will the toggle stay open (yours would have been added as a retrofit, I believe - in later years.))

As for a complete RIG (a Luger with a holster) and two correct/matched mags - you Luger could certainly be at the highend of values John S. quoted- if the finish is original and the proofs/serial numbers (including suffix) are all correct and matching as well...

Please, please (I'm begging ) post more pictures - of the left side, the top - and any detail photos you can capture of proofs, etc....

In the meantime - I'll certainly enjoy the first photo you just posted!!

Welcome to the LugerForum!

Unread 03-04-2002, 08:11 PM   #7
bill m
User

Default A steal!

Jerry,

I hope you bought that rig for that amount as it was a steal and not even close to what it is worth if it is all original. I was told that in Louisville, a 1913 DWM in excellent conditon sold for $1850 with no matching magazine, but don't know if it had a stock lug or not. Condition brings a premium and the two matching magazines brings a premium. Any Luger with two matching magazines in excellent condition is a steal at $1500, as the Luger alone in excellent condition will almost bring that now. Prices are really rising on the excellent conditioned stuff.

Unread 03-04-2002, 08:14 PM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,149 Times in 1,694 Posts
Default Re: Ummm - Clay..???!!! :)

Clay

May I echo John D's observation of HOLY SMOKES!! (that is exactly the same thought that came to mind when I saw the picture). Your Dad did well. Please respond to the questions that the other guys posted and we will all try to narrow down exactly the particulars of your Luger. And may I also say Welcome to the Forum!

Unread 03-05-2002, 08:12 AM   #9
Clay

Default Re: Ummm - Clay..???!!! :)

Thanks John,

This is a pic I took of my luger next to my MP40 I just aquired. The MP is just a dummy gun. Original parts built on a dummy receiver. There's just something about the look of German guns....

I'll borrow my brother's digital camera and take some pics from the other side, top, etc and closer up so everyone can get a better look.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes!

Clay

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/mp40luger.JPG

Unread 03-05-2002, 11:06 AM   #10
66mustang

Default Pictures are okay :)

My pictures turned out fine, some are a bit dark and the first ones are fuzzy! Hands shaking from excitement! Still, I took over 50 pictures that are varied. A few are darker, some fuzzy, I still included the "bad" photos so you can pick and choose. They are JPG and are over 40 megabytes, each around 150 - 300 kilobytes each.

Overall I think they are fun and interesting.

Ed