LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
mike714
New User

Default Questions if you would please: a 1917 DWM WWII pickup

Hi all,

My dad inherited it from one of his uncles. Well, as soon as I saw it I screamed at him because it was dry, no oil anywhere. I immediately field stripped it in front of him and lubricated it. AT that point he said, I guess it's yours. I had a 1921 Naval Commercial that was stolen from me. You know the old addage, you can pick your friends but you can't pick your family. Well, anyways, that's how I knew how to field strip it because of the 1921.

Anyway,
It's a battlefield pickup from WWII that unfortunately the uncle wanted to make it into a cowboy gun so he changed the grips. Now it looks almost as gaudy with these grips as what Patton carried. Besides that, excellent condition, two small holster rub marks, not on the muzzle. 98% bluing. No pitting. Rifling excellent. One original clip that matches the serial number on the weapon. All matching parts. The camera's with Dad in Washington right now. All I have is my phone camera and I don't think I can get high enough resolution with it. I'd be interested in an evaluation for insurance purposes. This weapon will continue to be passed down.

As my father used to say, "if this weapon could talk and sing, it'd tell us one hell of a story".

Thanks
Mike
P.S. What would original grips cost me? And are reproductions okay? Also it has this really gaudy Western holster to go with the gaudy grips.
mike714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Mike;
Sounds interesting but I don't even want to comment until I see a bunch of photos...
Having said that for insurance purposes I'd give $1000 valuation. Nice round figure.
Yes the grips will hurt you a bunch. Maybe some un-numbered originals might be the best way to go if you can find them. Good repros. would beat what is on there now however.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote