LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 11-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #21
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

judging from the top to bottom length, it appears that they used the grip safety from a Mauser Parabellum. I have plenty of this part, unused from Interarms @$40 each for anyone wanting to experiment. Since all luger grip safeties are pinned at the bottom to the frame, one would expect the top to rotate a bit more than the bottom. TH
Unread 11-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #22
Rick W.
User

I remember a forum member showing a stainless Luger with the fancy toggles and pencil barrel. Finally found it again. John S. saved some pictures away for us.

Member Gallery
Page3
stainless Lugers
Page4..........pencil barrel stainless shown to include safety with grips off fwiw.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2018, 12:42 AM   #23
Jasta2
User

How about this mix master. A Stoeger stainless Barrel on a original Luger frame. Never seen that before. I wonder how well that shoots.https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790063101
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2018, 03:58 AM   #24
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasta2 View Post
How about this mix master. A Stoeger stainless Barrel on a original Luger frame. Never seen that before. I wonder how well that shoots.https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790063101
'Revisions Commission' toggle, and seems to be missing the hold-open (although it is cut for one)...Interesting...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pix684387513.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	74447  

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-02-2018 at 10:43 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #25
Rick W.
User

Nice looking pinto. I remember postings about barbecues in the south, folks would come wearing their best pistols or revolvers(plated, engraved, ivory grips, etc); some were revolvers that had bright nickel and blue parts(S&W M27 blue frame, nickel barrel and cylinder comes to mind), hence their term that I recall.........."pinto"............guess as in horse, two colors or more. Never been priviledged to attend such a party; but sounded like a good time.

We all hear about stainless guns being unique in fit; in the same conversations, we hear that the vintage Luger pieces can be interchanged across the board. I would surmise that there is a little poetic license in both statements. Early Lugers were all hand fitted................perhaps today a a more used term is tuned. We all note that some pistols called "matching" have the same number or portion of total number on their parts, some surmise twas a way to keep track during manufacturing processes, ie perhaps disassembly during bluing/fitting, just a stray opinion there.

The pistol appears to have the barrel and barrel extension from a Stoeger stainless Luger. Frame/toggle is blue vintage. appears that maybe the rails have been fitted as well as the interior of the extension..............probably not the only places obviously necessary.

One might be prudent in a headspace/gapspace check of the breeching of these blue/stainless parts. Especially case exposure in my opinion.

As far as being not done too often, I am not of that opinion. Parts is parts, if knowledge and ability of said parts..............to fit one another for a specific function.

My beater target Luger mule has a 12" 30 caliber barrel, in the wildcat 7.65x19, with blue frame/barrel extension; stainless toggle train. It is scoped for my own needs with a Leupold 2x, on a quick release/studded side mount. I had to pay attention to the breeching in this makeup, but is a custom barrel from a blank. Functions like any other Luger so far; other than some of the items mentioned allows me a bit more range than normally I would have.

fwiw

Last edited by Rick W.; 11-02-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2018, 02:07 AM   #26
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Why doesn't the depressed grip safety lay flush on both bottom and top? Although I don't have one apart to consult, it seems like a job for "Mr. Dremel".
dju
It is the Swiss/70s Mauser style, 2-sided paddle, with a cutout on each grip. I don't think a Dremel will remedy the situation. It the following explanation is not clear to most, I'll do a little photo shoot...

It's a mistake in the angle between the external portion of the grip safety and the back-strap. There is ~1/8" between the top edge of the paddle and the back-strap, and a fat 3/16" space at the bottom. When the top of the paddle touches, there's still 1/8"+ space at the bottom. That's the aspect that bugs me.

The grip safety is badly formed. When one sights parallel to the rear grip strap from the bottom of the frame, the legs of the paddle that submerge behind each grip, although parallel to each other, are canted to the left in relation to the back strap...and there's more space under the right side than the left, whatever its position.

I have two more observations:

The checkering of the takedown lever and mag release is stamped, not cut.

In its upper position, the thumb safety reveals the typical polished area below its lower position, as a 1900 or '06 would. BUT in the upper position, with the polishing visible, it's ready to FIRE...sort of like a 1st issue altered Navy gun, but no "Gesichert" present.