LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 12-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
Logger08
User

Default Heavily modified 08 for target shooting

Hello,

I am not only new to this forum but also to the topic of Luger 08. However I have already some target pistols.
I am interested in using an 08 for target shooting and found an offer for a, from my point of view, heavily modified 08 on the web.

I also found this thread about the Mauser version of an 08 for target shooting:
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=37689
But I think what I found is something completely different.

A weaponsmith is offering a long 08 with a bull-barrel.
So far I do not know what was the basis for the modification and what exactly was all modified. The barrel and sights are obvious, a trigger modification was mentioned.
(Attached pictures come from the offer on the www.)

Now I would be interested in getting some feedback what you think about such an 08 and if you could recomend on going for something like this. The pricetag is 1650Euro.

Best regards,
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luger08-1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	70080  

Name:	Luger08-2.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	70081  

Name:	Luger08-3.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	70082  

Name:	Luger08-4.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	70083  

Name:	Luger08-5.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	70084  

Logger08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

A pity that someone buffed it beyond recognition.
A nice 650 Euro shooter, if the rear sight survives the battering.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Logger08
User

Hello Vlim,

I know what you mean (its more a Ruger now).
If I get you right, then the pricetag is much to hefty (1650Euro) for what I get?

Best regards,
Martin
Unread 12-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I see an interesting target Luger, well done, yes, refinished but not overly buffed. I can't comment on values in the European community.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Rick W.
User

Martin,

Thanks for posting the picts of the Luger. The target-ized versions of the Luger have always interested me.

I am not sure where is where on this thread, but suspect across the big pond with the Euro reference.

Just a few observations on the item. I am sure you are already up on these things; being an target guy.

The rear toggle mounting of an adjustable rear sight on a Luger is a rough area for sights, perhaps a bit of the reasoning behind the integral on the originals. The toggle moves around quickly and fairly abruptly; that means the newly attached rear adjustable sight sometimes flies off onto the ground.

I have seen some heavier duty rear sights, such like the old Bomar, attached to Lugers. I think that some will use a mechanical interface lock at a minimum, sometimes the dovetail(slotting) is amended with hard silver solder. The adjustable rear sight has mass to consider with the fast movement. If the rear sight was simply screwed to the toggle, it could be suspect to breakage.

Here in the states, some have used a carrier with a Smith Wesson revolver rear sight to good review. I have seen a stainless target Luger by Volquartsen that featured an adjustable rear sight, old names like Dewey in NY also featured adjustable sights and heavier barrels. Over the big pond, the name Werle comes to mind for target Lugers.

The Luger pictured is probably refinished as by the scratching in the blue, and the over colorization(in my opinion of course) of the strawed parts. Was intended as a improved shooter as the main emphasis.

Tis hard to get a big barrel on a Luger to function, the maker of this one, used fluting to lighten the barrel, but still is fairly longish for the balanced basic system of the Luger, again my opinion. As you know, overly hot loads in the Luger can batter the Luger surfaces trying to get a heavy, long barrel to function from the clip.

It was interesting to see how the banded front sight was affixed. My assumption of course, might be threaded underneath. Lots of ways to do banded sights, barrel diameter reduction to fit the oem band, expanding the band to the barrel taper and size, and boring the band to existing barrel taper and size. This one appears to be turned some at the muzzle end to accept the band, not against such, just an observation in method or possible useage. Sometimes this movement of turning the taper is so slight that the eye cannot pick up, but this one is fairly easy even for my sight.

Luger triggers are multi level sorta speak, lots of surfaces to keep track of to achieve a better pull/letoff. Takes some talent to produce such and have a high level of safety.

I am not sure I would be up to the Euros you said were required for this one, again just an opinion. I know how firearms can call to one.

Adjustable sights on a Luger to me is quite a boon, the improved sighting picture is much easier to pick up/see. I probably am one of the few that has scoped a Luger for my personal use using an offset removable mount on the left side of said Luger(left master eye).

No dog in this fight, just observations from here,

Rick W.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post:
Unread 12-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

That is the first time I (I'm a noobie) have seen that name - "Büma Schönwald".

Is that a well known builder 'over there'???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like the entire rear toggle link with adjustable target sight was fabricated. That is a significant piece of work and could account for much of the asking price.
Unread 12-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
I could be wrong, but it looks to me like the entire rear toggle link with adjustable target sight was fabricated.
*That's* why the toggle knobs look so flat! He didn't chamfer their edges!!!
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 12-04-2017, 02:12 AM   #9
Logger08
User

Hello,

First of all thanks a lot for your detailed replies.
I have to admit I am not very deep into mechanics and for sure not into Luger 08, so forgive me if I got somthing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
Martin,
The rear toggle mounting of an adjustable rear sight on a Luger is a rough area for sights, perhaps a bit of the reasoning behind the integral on the originals. The toggle moves around quickly and fairly abruptly; that means the newly attached rear adjustable sight sometimes flies off onto the ground.

Over the big pond, the name Werle comes to mind for target Lugers.
Hello Rick,
Thanks for pointing that out.
Yes, I have read about it but I for sure did not give enough thought about this topic.

I found the page of Werle and had a look at the sports version shown. The rear sight is a different type, but I think your point is still something to keep in mind.

Quote:
Tis hard to get a big barrel on a Luger to function, the maker of this one, used fluting to lighten the barrel, but still is fairly longish for the balanced basic system of the Luger, again my opinion. As you know, overly hot loads in the Luger can batter the Luger surfaces trying to get a heavy, long barrel to function from the clip.

Luger triggers are multi level sorta speak, lots of surfaces to keep track of to achieve a better pull/letoff. Takes some talent to produce such and have a high level of safety.
That is also a good point (which I did not consider at all).
I was aware of the fact concerning the ammunition, but I did not bring it into connection with the increased barrel weight.
As I will want to use factory ammunition this is for sure an important point.
Also the Luger gets a totally different balance and I am not sure I like that.
Concerning the trigger there is also an other point I need to keep in mind. I am used to sports pistol triggers (10N) and the usual Luger trigger is for sure a lot heavier. I am looking forward to getting the answer from the weapon smith also concerning the modification of the trigger.
So I for sure have at least to dry-fire it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
That is the first time I (I'm a noobie) have seen that name - "Büma Schönwald".

Is that a well known builder 'over there'???
Hello Sheepherder,
The only thing I can say about this topic is, that Büma is an abbreviation of Büchsenmacher (gun smith).
As I do not live close to him I am also not able to say how long he is already in the business and google does not really provide much customer feedback. So as I am new to Luger as well I cannot answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
I could be wrong, but it looks to me like the entire rear toggle link with adjustable target sight was fabricated. That is a significant piece of work and could account for much of the asking price.
Hello Ron,
I thought the sights were screwed but as I have already asked the question about all the modifications to the gun smith, so we might get an answer first hand.

When/If I get an answer from the gun smith I will also share this, perhaps this triggers some additional good feedback.

Thanks and best regards,
Martin
Unread 12-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

The entire rear toggle has been modified or is a new made piece.
Notice the strange shape of the toggle knobs and the additional material on the sides of the toggle.

Unless I could buy it with a return privilege AFTER firing, I would stay far away.
Unread 12-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #11
Logger08
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
The entire rear toggle has been modified or is a new made piece.
Notice the strange shape of the toggle knobs and the additional material on the sides of the toggle.

Unless I could buy it with a return privilege AFTER firing, I would stay far away.
Hello DonVoigt,
I have to admit, that I did not see that modification or recognise that new part.
But more importantly what is your reason to be so strikt ("I would stay far away")?
Best regards,
Martin
Unread 12-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #12
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The rear toggle link used for this modification is of East German manufacture. I have several of them NOS available @$35 each or 3 for $100 + S&H. TH
Unread 12-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
Rick W.
User

Martin,

In looking at the picts, looks like a basic Luger with new barrel, front sight affair, and rear sight affair. Perhaps a trigger update? Do those updates justify the price and of course, a gleem in your eye? I cannot talk, I like stuff like pictured but know some like the basics.

At one time, a poster here, Spuhr; I believe from Sweden; made a rear toggle from scratch from Swedish steel that had the capability of a larger rear adjustable sight, I am guessing at that time, the sight on the rear was a Bomar. I am not too sure if he still does such, but perhaps a net shot I guess. I have not looked for a Bomar sight here in the states for a long time, only guessing that they are still around. Spuhr was knowledgeable about the Luger system and updates. Over the years, I have gotten the same feel about Werle. Really only basic machining skills, but the Luger is a little more active than some other designs in function; and have to respect that.

G.T. is making some taller front sights for the Luger, basic Luger dovetail I have been reading, up to about 0.3" or so. Of course, that could be modded easily, I lobbied for the tallest basic sight; but my personal market sense is limited as only a shooter type here.

Rear sights can be strengthed to the toggle I believe thru a carrier affair, the carrier is inletted into the rear toggle proper, then the rear oem sight bosses(if you will allow) inletted into the carrier. Most I think(guess?) are hard silver soldered into place with the carrier at least. After that, it can get a bit hazy, as lots of ways to do things. I have seen a few that forego the carrier. There are picts of a few fellow poster's updated target guns on this site, the search function here is the ticket if so interested.

FWIW, I have a beater Luger(heavily) that I inletted a carrier that resembled the Luger Navy profile(2 position). I used a candle to smoke the carrier and fitted it to the rear toggle top surface. I then silver soldered it into place. Within the carrier I used a Smith Wesson rear revolver sight, cut off with a dremel wheel(harder than ghee whiz), and inletted the shortened rear sight into said carrier. I removed the elevation screw as the front sight was worked for my primary shooting distance. Works ok, but as in most things, the first prototypes you think are not so good cosmetically, and move on to other renditions. This one worked fine for me, but will not win any awards here.

So one might consider updating a basic Luger with the above mods, might be fun, but do admit most would not consider such over a ready to go piece, but who knows?

regards,

Rick W.

Last edited by Rick W.; 12-05-2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: memory lapse
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Rick W. for your post:
Unread 12-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #14
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logger08 View Post
Hello DonVoigt,
I have to admit, that I did not see that modification or recognise that new part.
But more importantly what is your reason to be so strikt ("I would stay far away")?
Best regards,
Martin
I said "stay far away" UNLESS you have a return privilege; or are allowed to test fire before buying.

It is not a bad price for the work done, IF it works!
Unread 12-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #15
Logger08
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I said "stay far away" UNLESS you have a return privilege; or are allowed to test fire before buying.

It is not a bad price for the work done, IF it works!
Hello DonVoigt,
Thanks for your explanation. Now even I got it.

Best regards,
Martin
Unread 12-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #16
Logger08
User

Hello Rick,

Thanks for your input. I will check the leads and the forum for pictures as you mentioned.

The mods on above 08 look tempting to me, but I got the point to be careful especially about barrel-weight and rear sight. But if the setup really works, this would be interesting for me as I want to shoot the 08 for results and do not care much about the numbers.

I already had a look at the page from Werle. But I am currently not (yet) willing to spend that much money. The one shown at the top of the page is already a stretch.
Also modifying myself is not an option (no knowledge what to do and no proper tools).
So I am now waiting for the input from the gun smith and then I decide if it is worth travelling that far to have a close look (and perhaps have a chance to test fire it).

Best regards,
Martin
Unread 12-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #17
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
I am guessing at that time, the sight on the [Spuhr] rear was a Bomar. I am not too sure if he still does such, but perhaps a net shot I guess. I have not looked for a Bomar sight here in the states for a long time, only guessing that they are still around.
Just FYI...

I have a Bo-Mar BMCS sight + base in my spares, also the same sight on a Bo-Mar Tuner rib [1911]. I am fabricating a second rib and found that Kensight makes a clone of the Bo-Mar BMCS made from 4140 and physically identical to the Bo-Mar BMCS. I bought one for my rib.

http://stores.kensight.com/bomar-bmc...-square-blade/

Kensight is a division of Keng's Firearms. They also manufacture parts for common sights and clones of Accro, S&W, Elliason, and other popular sights.

http://stores.kensight.com/

Just a plug for a quality product.
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 12-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #18
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logger08 View Post
I will check the leads and the forum for pictures as you mentioned.
Here's Spuhr's thread -

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=30533
Unread 12-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #19
Logger08
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Hello Sheepherder,
That looks really nice.
From my perspective this mod is done with the same intent and basic idea.
But there is for sure no question which of two is better.
Best regards,
Martin
Unread 12-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #20
Logger08
User

Hello,

Now I have received an answer from the gunsmith.
According to him there was much effort put into it and it shoots well. However he does not think it is up to the task with the high amount of rounds fired as a sportspistol. He anyway recommends using ammunition that does not generate high preasures.

Well, even though he did not answer all my more detailed questions, that still answers the general question for me.
I have to admit I do not really see the point about the modifications made. Why install adjustable sights if the P08 is made mainly for display?

So I will have to continue to search for a suitable shooter.
(I now have also written a mail to Werle.)

Best regards,
Martin