LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-23-2014, 04:38 AM   #21
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Doesn't matter. Fun to fantasize...It might be Amelia Earhart...

BTW: There was a new expedition scheduled this month to that island in the Pacific where Earhart & Noonan are said to have landed...

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/AEdescr.html
If Amelia managed lo land should they not have found the remains of the Electra?

As a curiosty it was very recently found (last week?) one of the ships of the 1845 lost expedition of Sir John Franklin. They still don't know if it's H.M.S Terror or H.M.S. Erebus.

For further reading:
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition

Last edited by kurusu; 09-23-2014 at 06:49 AM.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #22
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
If Amelia managed lo land should they not have found the remains of the Electra?
They believe they have. The plane may have slipped off the reef it landed on and been swept to deep water. Expeditions are expensive, and TIGHAR is a non-profit foundation. This year's search has been re-scheduled. Not sure why, but there is a mention of a lawsuit that I am trying to find out more about.

If you read the reports listed on TIGHAR's site, you can get an idea of what they are doing.

Kind of like the search for the crew of the Lady Be Good.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #23
nukem556
User

If you're into well-written fiction, Dan Simmons wrote a great novel about the Franklin expediton entitled The Terror. Interesting info on conditons aboard an 19th century British navy ship, although the plot takes a somewhat supernatural bent.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #24
kurusu
User

Quote:
If you read the reports listed on TIGHAR's site, you can get an idea of what they are doing.
I've been reading it on and off. But I'm still waiting for hard facts to surface.

Quote:
Kind of like the search for the crew of the Lady Be Good.
There's only one crew member still missing. And they found the B24 first.
Unread 09-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #25
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem556 View Post
If you're into well-written fiction, Dan Simmons wrote a great novel about the Franklin expediton entitled The Terror. Interesting info on conditons aboard an 19th century British navy ship, although the plot takes a somewhat supernatural bent.
Well, I liked the Crook factory.
Unread 09-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #26
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
There's only one crew member [Lady Be Good] still missing. And they found the B24 first.
I watched the Lowell Thomas Special back in the 50's when it first aired. I also bought the book, which goes up as far as 1982. Quite interesting. I should check and see if anything more has been investigated, now that Qaddafi is gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	43472  

Unread 09-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #27
kurusu
User

Quote:
I watched the Lowell Thomas Special back in the 50's when it first aired. I also bought the book, which goes up as far as 1982. Quite interesting. I should check and see if anything more has been investigated, now that Qaddafi is gone.
There seems there is not much more or much left to investigate.

The saddest thing is that if the crew went South instead of North they would have had better chances of survival. They would eventually have found the plane which had water and food supplies even the radio was still operational when the plane was found 17 years after the crash.

That said, they had no way of knowing that their base was so far North that it was beyond their reach.

By the way. Any thoughts on flight 19?
Unread 09-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #28
nukem556
User

From what I recall without re-researching, Taylor, the flight leader of Flight 19, was known for being weak in navigational skills, and had convinced himself that the flight was somewhere in the Gulf, west of Florida, and he was wandering to the north and east hoping to hit land. Actually, he was somewhere near Bermuda, and expended his flight's fuel, fate unknown. The weird thing is , 5 TBM Avengers were found on the ocean floor in that very area a few years back, and none of the serial numbers matched the lost flight, nor was there ever an explantion by the Navy how 5 similar planes came to be lost in the same area.

I remember years ago, when Spielbergs "Close Encounters of the First Kind" came out, the opening scene was of the 5 Avengers found in a desert, brought back by the aliens......gave me chills...
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2014, 04:08 AM   #29
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem556 View Post
The weird thing is , 5 TBM Avengers were found on the ocean floor in that very area a few years back, and none of the serial numbers matched the lost flight, nor was there ever an explantion by the Navy how 5 similar planes came to be lost in the same area.
You can say that again.
Unread 09-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #30
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
There seems there is not much more or much left to investigate.
The last chapter of the book details recovery of one complete engine from the wreck in 1968 and "dismantling it found fragments of a single 20mm cannon projectile. With the altitude and position of the flight path it could only have come from a head-on pass by an enemy night fighter, since there were no holes in the cowling." [From the book].

What is interesting is that the plane flew with a single crew for it's short wartime life, until that last mission. The original crew was forced to take another bomber, and therefore missed Lady Be Good's last flight.
Unread 09-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #31
kurusu
User

Quote:
The last chapter of the book details recovery of one complete engine from the wreck in 1968 and "dismantling it found fragments of a single 20mm cannon projectile. With the altitude and position of the flight path it could only have come from a head-on pass by an enemy night fighter, since there were no holes in the cowling." [From the book].
Maybe the plane was bounced in a previous mission, the engine cowling replaced but the fragments where either missed in the repairs or considered unimportant.
Until the plane was removed from the crash site it was sort of a tourist attraction and it was much tampered with. My guess is there is not much left worth investigating.

Quote:
What is interesting is that the plane flew with a single crew for it's short wartime life, until that last mission. The original crew was forced to take another bomber, and therefore missed Lady Be Good's last flight.
That I didn't know. They were lucky, I would not wish the journey on that last flight to my worst enemy.
Unread 09-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #32
Douglas Jr.
User

Quote:
As a curiosty it was very recently found (last week?) one of the ships of the 1845 lost expedition of Sir John Franklin. They still don't know if it's H.M.S Terror or H.M.S. Erebus.

For further reading:
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition
I have been interested on this subject since I watched the news about the exhumation of two sailors from the Franklin expedition back in the 80s, when I was a kid. Their corpses were incredibly well preserved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW_HjhO-cCY

Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #33
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Jr. View Post
I have been interested on this subject since I watched the news about the exhumation of two sailors from the Franklin expedition back in the 80s, when I was a kid. Their corpses were incredibly well preserved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW_HjhO-cCY

Douglas.
We'll probably have to wait until next summer for further developments. The window to work in the area must be closing real fast.
Unread 10-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #34
kurusu
User

Apparently The ship has been identified as H.M.S. Erebus.