LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
lamarbrog
User

Default First Luger- Identifying proof marks.

I recently acquired a P08 and want to learn more about it. It's definitely a shooter, and the previous owner had used it as just that and couldn't tell me much about it.

It is a DWM made in 1916. The frame and receiver have serial number "8659". The safety has a "59". Everything else that is serialized does not match.

The side plate has no serial number on it, and I think it may actually be an aftermarket part, as strange as that sounds. The bolt and upper receiver have what I identified as "German Military Proofs" thanks to the technical information provided on the site.

I am almost certain this has been reblued, although a good job was done.

The barrel has me puzzled. It may be rebarreled. There is a circle, that appears to have "KK" in the upper half, and a "10" in the lower half. The is a "19" elsewhere on the barrel. I can't see an indexing mark. There is a "9" near the muzzle. An indexing mark is visible on the upper receiver, but not on the barrel. Is it an aftermarket barrel?

The right grip panel is a little loose, but not bad.

A few technical questions-

How damaging is it to this pistol to dry fire it? I generally dry fire my pistols unless there is a good reason not to. Any special considerations for the Luger as far as that goes? (Firing pin is already not-matching.)

The other question I have, not that the answer really matters.... is this pistol capable of firing with the upper assembly detached from the frame? I've just been examining how it functions, and it appears that since the knobs would not interact with the frame to begin unlocking, it would fire normally without the frame just by pressing the linkage on the side. I don't intend to try this- but is it known to be possible?

Just trying to find out as much as I can about this. I don't see any import marks. Just a run of the mill refinished parts gun, I guess.
lamarbrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

The "KK/10" is a Portuguese marking and it is a replacement barrel. I have not seen a WWI Luger with a Portuguese barrel or possibly rebarrled by the Portuguese so this is a new one on me.

Dry firing is not a good idea. The firing pin slams into the interior of the breechblock and will crystallize over time and the tip will break. If you must dry fire it, use a snap cap...very inexpensive and will save your firing pin even if it is mismatched.

Yes, it is possible to fire a loaded Luger barrel/receiver group. Highly dangerous and not recommended. There are actual cases on record where individuals have been accidentally shot with a loaded Luger upper.
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,546 Times in 951 Posts

The circle KK is Portuguese. So yes the barrel has been replaced. I personally would not dry fire my lugers. Maybe if you have a snap cap inserted. It's your gun and your risk. Yes a luger may be fired as you suggest. The Police placed a sear safety on there lugers to prevent this. Welcome to the forum and the crazy addictive world of luger collectoing. Bill

Ron you beat me by seconds. At least we agree
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

Bill,
I would have been very suprised if we didn't! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours!
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
lamarbrog
User

If this is a Portuguese rework, would there be other markings to indicate that? For example, would they have force-matched the other parts?

Or, is this more likely someone rebarreling a Luger, and they just happened to have a Portuguese barrel on hand?
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
LugerVern
User

We would really like to see pictures of your gun!

OK, I would really like to see the Portuguese markings
I kind of like those Portuguese lugers

thanks

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugervern View Post
we would really like to see pictures of your gun!

Ok, i would really like to see the portuguese markings
i kind of like those portuguese lugers
+ 1

You didn't say what caliber or what length the barrel is...Take a #2 pencil, stick it down the barrel eraser first, and measure the length when it hits the breech...(That would mean it is 9mm)...

...If it won't go down the barrel, just measure the outside of the barrel, from the flange/receiver to the muzzle...(That would mean it is 7.65mm)...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
lamarbrog
User

I think I can accommodate those requests.

She's got a 4" barrel, and is chambered for 9mm Parabellum.

I tried to get a picture of the mark on the side of the bolt, but was not particularly successful.

The proofs on the side of the upper receiver.

Made in 1916.

The barrel is very high gloss... this is the best I could do on the Portuguese mark.

DWM

Sorry the pictures are not very good...
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
LugerVern
User

Thanks for the pictures, an interesting gun. We see a lot of KK magazines but this is only my second barrel.

My understanding is that these KK parts are late production. The Portuguese used lugers into the 70's, so replacement parts were a must have.

Does anyone have a theory what the KK may stand for?

It would be interesting to survey Portuguese luger owners as to how may of thier guns have KK barrels on them?

The one other case I know of was also on a DWM rework-> very interesting.

thanks again for posting

Vern
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
lamarbrog
User

So, is it my understanding that this is a Portuguese rework? Not an American-assembled parts gun?
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
LugerVern
User

We can't really say for sure, not enough examples. Many facilities reworked Lugers over the years and just as many produced parts but had nothing to do with reworks.

It would be a guess without more evidence, right now you have a parts gun.

sorry

Vern
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
lamarbrog
User

That's okay. I bought it as a parts gun- so no let down. Interesting to think about what it might be.
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
Nomadr
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Here is a thread I posted on Jan's site. I recently sold this one but have seen another on gun broker with the same markings.

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...What-do-I-have

Bob
Nomadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #14
lamarbrog
User

Interesting. I wonder what the source of the Bundesheer information is. Seems kind of strange the Austrians would be using Portuguese barrels.
Unread 12-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #15
LugerVern
User

Well that is the 3rd 1916 dated Luger with a KK stamped barrel, maybe a 4th.

It could be that the source isn't Portuguese, maybe the Portuguese simply purchased some left over parts.

Would be some interesting research. A small trend is developing, we shouldn't jump to conclusions however.

Vern
Unread 12-23-2011, 05:24 AM   #16
LugerVern
User

Here is an interesting tid bit of information, the time line isn't quite right however but, it might be worth a letter to the manufacture to see if they ever used the letters KK .

Voere is an Austrian gun maker The origins of the company date back to the 1948 establishment of the metal-working company Koma in West Germany. Originally producing bicycle tire pumps, the company branched out into the production of air pistols in 1950. In 1955, Koma was renamed Voere. The company's name is a combination of the founders' names: Voetter and Restle. That year, Voere began the production of small-bore rifles.

In 1965, the company relocated to a new factory in Kufstein, Austria.
Unread 12-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #17
lamarbrog
User

While I'm sure you're more knowledgeable on this topic than I am, Vern, what leads you to believe that company would have anything to do with this pistol?

Maybe I am just not seeing the obvious... but bicycles, air rifles, and small-caliber rifles isn't exactly synonymous with P08 barrels.
Unread 12-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #18
LugerVern
User

I was just doing some brain storming "KK" must stand for something? Koma, Kufstein just came to mind, by the way this company evolved into a rather serious gun manufacture .

It would not be unusual for a company to use its former name in identifying parts it has created. I am not jumping to conclusions but it's more than we have right now, as far as I know no one has identified what "KK" stands for?

They certainly could have made/ refurbished the parts for the Portuguese, but the "KK" markings on the P38's may occur too early for this theory to play out.

Need more research, this can be in the from of a negative or positive approach both are usually needed to weed out any errors.

I welcome any comments, can anyone show that my theory is wrong? " I know it probably is but, prove it"

By the way, it's Christmas Eve: Best Wishes to Everyone !

Vern
Unread 12-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #19
Feamane
User

Hi,

I am interested in the KK markings as well since I own the pistol Bob sold. I would like to point out that on page 125 of "P.38 Magazines and Grips" de Vlieger, Clarin, and Roth put forth the theory that this marking is of Austrian, not Portuguese origin. If you don't have the book some of the authors are involved in a disscussion about this in this thread on the P.38 forum: http://forums.p38forum.com/forums/vi...=26179&start=0

It seems they have put some effort into researching this, and while they don't seem to have found the "smoking gun", they make a good case. On the other hand I've never seen anybody list the reasons why they think this is a Portuguese marking. Does anybody have sources that give more details about the Portuguese connection? I would like to be able to compare the information for both and see which has the stronger evidence.

Best regards,
DJ
Feamane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #20
LugerVern
User

DJ

Interesting post over on the P38 forum, we can not say for sure either way, I have not seen a Portuguese Luger with a KK barrel, but there is a strong appearance of KK marked Luger magazines with later Portuguese Lugers.

I would say the evidence points the other way right now and that Austrian may be the source, even though a Luger magazine so marked might very well be perfectly OK in a Portuguese Luger.

Thanks for posting

Vern