LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-18-2001, 04:29 PM   #1
BILL
User

Default To the group..

Since we all look for new and exciting things on the forum that have to do with Lugers, how about everyone (newbies and oldbies) post at least one question that you don't know the answer to this weekend. If you are like some, and know everything already, then look up a little known fact about Lugers that you didn't already know and found interesting. I am including myself and all the regulars here (if you have a profile, a pictue in the gallery or own a Luger [or would like to].Everyone who reads this is included. As most of you know, we all like pictures, so don't be shy.

Unread 05-18-2001, 06:30 PM   #2
Rick K
User

Default Re: To the group..

Sounds good to me! There's so much I don't know about Lugers, that I don't know what it is that I don't know! Nevertheless, I accept the challenge and will try to come up with a hopefully intelligent question to meet it.

Unread 05-18-2001, 06:46 PM   #3
Thor
User

Default Re: My Question

Good idea, MY question is where 1935-1936 Krieghoffs EVER rust blued or salt blued like all the later ones? Ted

Unread 05-18-2001, 07:04 PM   #4
REB

Default Re: My Question - square grip

Whats a "square" grip??

Unread 05-18-2001, 08:04 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Did someone say "Krieghoff"??

No sir - all HK's were salt blued... Here is the finish on a 1937 which is the same as my earlier ones...

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/1937hktop.jpg
Unread 05-18-2001, 08:25 PM   #6
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Good one.. My Question is about KU Lugers...

Since the sources are so diverse in opinions - has anyone any thoughts about KU Lugers? Were they assembled by Krieghoff or not? If they were, WHERE were they manufactured - any thoughts, paper trails, etc.? Also, what does "KU" stand for??? Any thoughts from the collective wisdom of the Forum? (No - I don't have the answers either - but love to get some input...)

This is similiar to Marvin's "*" question - which for the life of me - I couldn't form an opiniion on...

Unread 05-18-2001, 10:51 PM   #7
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: My Question - square grip

A grip frum sumbuddy thet ain't "kool"?

Unread 05-18-2001, 10:58 PM   #8
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Good one.. My Question is about KU Lugers...

They wuz specal maid fo tha KU KLUX KLAN. But thar wuznt room ta put tha hol nam on thar, so they jus put tha KU. Naturly thy wuz maid in SOUTHERN Germany, by Confederate Nazis.

Unread 05-19-2001, 05:37 AM   #9
Marvin
User

Default Re: Good one.. My Question is about KU Lugers...

John,

Yours is a good question on the "KU" Luger. I wish I knew where they were assembled. This is another of the big mysteries of the Luger world. Kreighoff has been one of the suspected assemblers of the pistol, but also assembly at Concentration Camps is another. A company/person with the beginning letters "Ku" was another theory (don't remember the full name offhand). Also, it is thought that Mauser may have done the assembly sometimes after formal production ceased to use up spare parts.

My pistols is dated 1941 and has a barrel made by Mauser in 1935 and the S/42 repalcement part stamp. This means that the barrel probably was in stock at Mauser when the parts were shipped to the assembler. The rest of the parts appear to be standrad 1940s vintage parts from the machine marks on the steel. The bluing is not up to the standards of the blue I have seen on the Kreighoffs, but I have not seen many of the 1940s H&K Lugers so I don;t know if it got "thin" or not. Most agree that the parts may have been substandard, but everything on mine appears to be well made and finished parts. The assembly and bluing appears to be just like Mauser produced pistols of the period except maybe a bit thinner. Just a few thoughts.

Marvin

Unread 05-19-2001, 07:42 AM   #10
tom h

Default Re: KU marked PO8s

I believe the theory that these lugers were assembled by Kreighoff from Mauser supplied armours spare parts to complete their second Luffwaffe contract of 10,000 pistols, of which about 5000 were KUs (sorry no umlout on my keyboard). See chapter 5 of Gibson's "The KH Parabellum" for more details. I personally have owned KU3365 a 41/42 with a KH E/2 (proofed inside) matching sideplate. Since Mauser was in the process of switching over to P38 production at this time, even a gentle suggestion from Herr FieldMarshall Goering, to help out the LW, would not have gone unheaded.

Unread 05-19-2001, 08:25 AM   #11
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Great info Marvin and Tom...

Thanks guys - great info... Marvin, you added a few dimensions that I had not heard before (possibly where they were assembled, as well as KU may stand for a persons name..). I did hear/read that it *may* stand for a Costal flying unit of some sort as well (I'm not sure if that unit was a regular part of the Luftwaffe, however??).. Interesting stuff...!!!

Also - Tom - GREAT info/theory about a second production run of 10,000 - I never heard that before (and thanks for the reference to Gibson's book in Chapter 5 - I guess I'll have to re-read that chapter..!!)! Also, is anyone aware of any other sources of documentation/information on this subject? It would be fun to try to research it as far as the trail leads...

Thanks!

(BTW: Hugh - I'd as for documenmtation for your theory - but I'd be VERY AFRAID of your answer..!!!)

Unread 05-19-2001, 08:55 AM   #12
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: my theory

John, YOU BETTER BE! We is watchin U yankees!