LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 10-06-2003, 11:44 AM   #1
Dean
User

Post Quality of modern stainless Lugers

I had heard a few years ago that there were quality issues with the Mitchell Arms Lugers.

What's the general consensus on the overall quality of the more recent stainless versions availible?
Unread 10-06-2003, 08:41 PM   #2
Steve Richards
User

I have two. One 9mm and one .30cal. Both are very accurate. The 9mm likes S&B ammo and functions flawlessly with it. The .30cal will not cycle with Fiochi but works with some hotter rounds from a local loader. They look great and with the correct ammo they function properly.

They are now (and were) made by Orimar Firearms Mfg. in Houston, Texas. They were distributed by Mitchell and Stoeger at various times in the past.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2003, 10:06 PM   #3
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

I have one of the stainless, but it is a post Stoeger model. I would say for the most part the gun is top quality. If there is a difference between it and my BYF 42, it is how tight the toggle feels out of the gun on the BYF 42. It is very tight, while the stainless fells a bit lose. Once assembled, they both feel about the same. The articles I've read, have shown excellent functioning with the stainless. I've yet to fire mine, so I can't say how they compare there...
Unread 10-07-2003, 04:18 PM   #4
Stu
User

I've a 93 Mitchell and would echo Johnny's comments. For the price they seem to be reasonable value for what you get, (A Luger you can shoot as much as you like with no breakage worries !).
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 01:44 AM   #5
Dean
User

How many of these stainless guns have been made?

Also what's the whole history of these guns, I seem to recall there was some legal battles between Stoeger and Mitchell back in the 90's.
Something to the effect that Stoeger owned the Luger trademark here in the states.

Now if I go to Stoeger's website, there is no mention of the stainless Lugers. It also appears that there has been some cosolidation in the EU firearms business, as it now seems that Stoeger is under the same corporate umbrella as Uberti.
If I buy a NIB Stoeger today will they provide support? Or did they just want there name slaped on it (and a cut of the profit, no doubt)

And what of Orimar? There is mention on this site elsewhere that they may be introducing a .45 model soon. Is this company going to be around for a while? Where do you buy parts from if you need them? Orimar does not seem to have a website, or a catalog, or an magazine advertisement...or perhaps a marketing department?

Inquiring newbie wants to know.
Unread 10-08-2003, 12:32 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Orimar's current contact information in on our Links and Resources page...

Orimar is likely the only place you will ever be able to get service... but despite being difficult to contact, I have only heard good things about their service once you get a hold of them. There have been many testimonials regarding repairs without charge...

FWIW They are notorious for slow response to phone calls and emails, but I understand that they repsond the fastest to faxes...

If you drop them a snail mail... they will likely send you a brochure...

Like many on the forum... the rumors of a Stainless .45 ACP Luger has me sitting up and paying attention. The hinted price is supposed to be about $2000... but I will have to wait and see like everyone else.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 08:45 PM   #7
Steve Richards
User

Orimar was formerly AIMCO. They have made all the stainless Lugers that were sold by both Stoeger and Mitchel. They now sell directly but do a very poor job of getting the word of their existance out to the public. Hopefully that will change.

They now make both 9mm and .30cal. The 9mm comes in either 4" or 6". The .30 is 4.75". Both calibers can be ordered either in bright stainless or with a black finish. I have not seen the black finish so cannot comment on it except to say that it is an option.

In one communication, the president of the company said athat an artillery model was available but did not say what type of sights it had. I do not know anything else about it.

If the .45 goes as planned, it should be available about mid-year 2004. We will all have to wait and see.

Look in the member gallery and there is a portfolio of pictures of these guns from several owners (including me). They cover several years of production sold by Stoeger, Mitchel and direct sales.

I hope this and the member gallery will help.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #8
Jerry.B
User

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by John Sabato:
<strong>Orimar's current contact information in on our Links and Resources page...

Orimar is likely the only place you will ever be able to get service... but despite being difficult to contact, I have only heard good things about their service once you get a hold of them. There have been many testimonials regarding repairs without charge...

FWIW They are notorious for slow response to phone calls and emails, but I understand that they repsond the fastest to faxes...

If you drop them a snail mail... they will likely send you a brochure...

Like many on the forum... the rumors of a Stainless .45 ACP Luger has me sitting up and paying attention. The hinted price is supposed to be about $2000... but I will have to wait and see like everyone else.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Unread 10-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #9
Jerry.B
User

Orimar's recent brochure and price list are posted on this site.
Unread 10-09-2003, 03:03 PM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Now that you mention it Jerry, I remember that it was posted... but don't remember where... if you know please post a link here so that everyone doesn't have to hunt for it. That way the search engine won't work overtime and slow everything else down. thanks...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote