LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
steelcase
User

Default Rust Blue and Evaporust

Hi Everyone I'm new to this forum and in the process of refinishing my first luger. Is is not a collector gun it's a pure shooter.
I am in the process of rebluing a 1920 DWM Luger. The finish was beyond bad. At some time in the pass it looks like someone used a "Brillo" pad to clean the rust. I have soaked all the parts to be blued in Evaporust it came out well. Will one possible problem. Evaporust leaves the metal a medium grey. I've been reading this is a carbon film. Do I need to steel wool the entire gun to bright metal? It flash rusts in minutes if the grey metal is not oiled. I've rust blued before with great success but never after Evaporust. Any comments are appreciated.
steelcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Hi Ronald, and welcome to the forum.

Recently, a very good article on Rust Bluing was published on this forum:

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...ight=rust+blue

It shows a member's experience rust bluing for the first time.

I believe you'll find that the metal surfaces have to be in the white, and absolutly clean (free of any dirt, oils or other contaminants) prior to starting the rust blue process. I don't know the effect of "Evaporust". This is an article that discusses it's characteristics:

http://www.evapo-rust.co.nz/How%20It%20Works.htm

This article states:

"After treatment, the part can be water rinsed for painting, plating, or other type of corrosion protective coating. If left un-rinsed, the fluid will dry on the treated surface to a hard, short-term corrosion resistant coating with no corrosion removal properties."

I checked out the web, and found writeups about it. It is a "Chelation" agent that chemically combines with iron oxides, and then is supposed to go into solution. This discussion gets into the details:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/a...p/t-69793.html

They speculate that it contains "ethylenediaminetetraacetate or EDTA". or "EDDS ethylenediamine NN Disuccinic acid". In either case, the iron oxide apparently ends up in compound as a residue, which is what you may be seeing on the metal surface.

Apparently, molasses can do the same kind of chelation, but is less selective (affects more than steel).

According to this study, once metals are chelated, they are very difficult to remove from waste water.

So... the surface of your metal may have chelated iron oxide on it. I'm not sure how to remove it after it dries, but you might try washing it again and drying it immediately.

As to rust bluing, I'd do some experiments on something other than your pistol first. Use the evapo-rust. Let the surface dry. Wash it. De-oil it and try rusting the steel per the article.

Marc
Unread 08-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Terry Tiell
User

I did the exact same thing you are now doing just a few months ago, you need to polish the metal afterwards to get rid of that dull gray color. I used a fine steel wire wheel on a drill to polish it up and then hit it with gun oil till I was ready to rust blue it.
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts

I believe it's called carding.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
nukem556
User

Carding is actually the fine wire brushing done after each rusting,boiling cycle. But yeah, you want to be back down to bare shiny steel after the Evaporust before beginning rust bluing. The stuff works pretty darn well....it takes about 24 hours, but it'll even remove Parkerizing down to bare steel.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
steelcase
User

Thanks everyone for the advise. Looks like a little more work.
steelcase is offline   Reply With Quote