LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-18-2001, 04:47 PM   #1
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts
Default Where have all the newbies gone?

Do you guys ever notice that an unregistered newbie asks a question and then never comes back with further information to sort it out? Seems like a lot of work goes into answering and then it becomes a dead thread because they dissapear. Not a bitch, just wondering where some people are coming from? I always want to know the rest of the story. Sometimes it 's like being left out before the movie ends. Jerry

Unread 09-18-2001, 04:59 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: Where have all the newbies gone?

Me too, there was a question a week or so ago and I wanted to hear what happened!

Sometimes the thread is eaten up and there are 15 comments and sometimes (in my short time on board), I see 1 or 2...

Ed

Unread 09-18-2001, 06:33 PM   #3
john
User

Default Re: newbie comments

I am a one Luger "newbie" at present, but plan to buy another at the up-coming MAX show. I read the message board every day and have come away with ALOT of good information. I have posted two or three questions in the last six months and have gotten prompt answers. Nothing that would have required 'follow-up', other than saying,

"thanks". There are people on this forum with YEARS of

experience in this hobby - which is excellent. However, at times it can be a bit intimidating to the new collector.

That would be my guess...

John

Unread 09-18-2001, 07:35 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

John, Thanks for your input.I suppose some of the new people are intimidated. I don't know why as all that is required is to add a little more information and get the answer. Some are not dedicated to this forum and some are. I guess I have to accept the fact that some people drop by then drop out. Just curiosity on my part. If I had any advice to give anyone interested in lugers that would be to buy as many books on the subject as you can afford. I have a luger library that is four feet high and I shudder to think what it has cost me but it brings me immesurable joy to read all about it! Thanks again, Jerry

Unread 09-18-2001, 08:04 PM   #5
schwob
RIP

Hi guys, I am one of the 'newbies'> I purchased a couple of patches, did my profile and am waiting for DOK to post a couple of pictures for me. I've been 'into' Luger for 35+ years. Sounds impressive, not so! Since I found the Forum I realize I don't know anything about this magnificent weapon. I read the Forum everyday, marvel at the information & expertise that is contained therin. We newbies here, we're reading, we're learning, we're happy that men & women will give of themselves so freely for the benefit of others. As we are all seeing everyday day, this is truely the American Way. The others have not a clue as to what makes us tick..........but they too are learning. GOD BLESS OUR AMERICA

Unread 09-18-2001, 09:41 PM   #6
Joe
User

It is so important that we keep the interest in the finest handgun ever mass developed alive and well. Reading books as much as possible on this gun is extreamly important, but this forum allows for so much more personal give and take. I just wish that this web site was available to me when I first started getting serious about Lugers. Glad to be a member.

Unread 09-19-2001, 06:59 AM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

I don't know it I am a newbie or not. I have about 35 or so Lugers of the imperial era. Mostly artilleries and navies. I have accomplished satisfying my interests in that I have what I consider "sets" of these guns plus some extras. Now I am into finding accessories to these guns such as the matching mags and stocks. I don't plan to buy anymore unless the price is so good that I can not refuse a good "investment".

By "investment" I mean something like the 1917 artillery I picked up at last weeks Ohio Gun Collectors show at the IX Center. $850 for a matching arty with a repro stock, holster and straps. Sure, the locking bolt, side plate and trigger were over buffed. But considering that the repro stock and holster is worth $200, then I only paid $650 for the matching arty and it has a good bore and adjustible front sight. Its hard to walk away from something like that.

I also picked up a "shooter" for $330. I almost passed it up until I realized that it had an original navy mag on it plus a set of great original grips. When I go to gun shows I always carry a wish list of magazines serial numbers with me. So I always look for the numbers that I want on mismatched guns.

As Art Buchanan would say, this is show and tell time with a little bit of chatting. But I am not ashamed to brag a bit when I think that I got a good deal. Modesty is not my strong suit.

But I have noticed that my interests are expanding a bit. I am getting more and more into studying the WW1 era and its causes and effects. I got a few audio tapes on the subject that I listen to while I am deer hunting. I found that I can sit in a deer blind and listen to a good book at the same time. It helps to keep me from freezing and falling asleep. I recently bought a book on the autobiography of Kaiser Wilhelm II. I always wondered what became of him. I don't know when I will ever read this book since it is quite large and while I have plenty of time to listen to a good audio book, I have little time to actually read a printed book.

I know that I strayed from the original question. But I have found that my interest on specific lugers on a forum is waining because my interest is expanding into related areas. But I still will drop in from time to time because I do enjoy a good discussion. But I don't enjoy some of the arguments. I have a short list of names who I have learned to avoid because I feel that they are more interested in arguing than in discussing. But that is another discussion for another time.

Big Norm

Unread 09-19-2001, 08:15 PM   #8
Steve
User

I am one the newbies and have tried to participate when I know something or just have an opinion. My only Luger is one of the new satainless steel Navies. I bought a holster rig from CMR and think that the two make a nice looking set. Maybe in the future I will buy an older gun but like most of us money is tight and I am using what I have to buy a Mauser C96. I have posted a couple of pictures and will try to participate when I have information or questions.

Unread 09-20-2001, 10:27 AM   #9
larry cook

I'm a newbie to your world. Just purchased a shooter from shattack,1918 DMW Luger. Have a question are the mags always so hard to load, or is there a trick to it, and where could I purchase a second mag and at price range. I've enjoyed reading the Message Board and have learned a lot

Unread 09-20-2001, 12:09 PM   #10
TIMOTHY CANNEY

I THINK THAT THOSE OF US WHO HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE COLLECTING LUGERS, NEED TO BE MINDFULL OF THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO "ALL KNOWING/EXPERT" IN THIS AREA OF COLLECTING. (I THINK THAT RALPH SHATTUCK COMES ABOUT AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET.) WE AS FELLOW COLLECTORS, NEED TO REMEMBER FROM WHERE WE CAME. WE HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO WELCOME NEW COLLECTORS TO THE HOBBY OF AQUIRING THE FINEST HANDGUN EVER MADE. IT IS REALLY EASY TO GET A BIG HEAD FROM TIME TO TIME. IF WE WANT TO KEEP THIS AREA OF INTEREST ALIVE WE MUST GAIN NEW MEMBERS ALL THE TIME. RALPH ALSO DOES A GREAT JOB IN THIS AREA. TO HIM NO LUGER QUESTION IS A STUPID ONE, AND IS WORTHY OF A POLITE RESPONSE. I AGREE ALSO THAT IF A PERSON WANTS TO CONTINUE IN THIS HOBBY, THEY NEED TO READ AND RE-READ ANYTHING WRITEN ON THIS SUBJECT. WITH THE INFINATE VARIATIONS OF THE LUGER, A PERSON CAN GET TAKEN VERY EASIALY, MAKING A VERY COSTLY MISTAKE. IF YOUR JUST GETTING STARTED YOU NEED TO FIND A LUGER COLLECTOR WITH SOME EXPERIENCE THAT YOU CAN TRUST AND START BUYING YOUR FIRST COUPLE OF LUGERS FROM THAT PERSON. MAY I SUGGEST RALPH SHATTUCK OR BOB SIMPSON? NEXT YOU NEED TO HANDLE AS MANY OF THESE WEPONS AS YOU CAN FOR TWO REASONS. #1 IT IS FUN. #2 IT IS EDUCATIONAL HANDS ON EXPERIENCE THAT WILL HELP YOU TO ASSESS THE LUGER'S VALUE MORE ACCURATELY. REMEMBER, THEY MADE MORE THAN ONE LUGER. IF YOU DON'T GET ONE NOW, ANOTHER ONE WILL FIND IT'S WAY INTO YOUR COLLECTION. AT ANY RATE WELCOME ONE AND ALL TO THIS FUN, SATISFYING, AND EDUCATIONAL HOBBY!!!!

BEST REGARDS,

TIMOTHY CANNEY

Unread 09-20-2001, 02:12 PM   #11
Johnny Peppers
User

Timothy,

Buy one of the loading tools. Tom Heller has them for sale.

Unread 09-20-2001, 03:02 PM   #12
Polizei

As you all probably know, I had to sell mine. I'm still in mourning. :-(