LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #21
Jason60chev
User

Thanks. I am in the Non Restoration boat, but just wanted to throw the idea out there. It's only original once. Looked at the unit history of Reserve Infantry Regiment 248. They were part of the 108th Reserve Brigade in the 54th Reserve Division formed in Sept/Oct 1914. That unit was involved in the actions around Ypes, Flanders, The Somme. his pistol could have witnessed some of the hardest fighting of WWI. There are no import markings on it, so I do not know how it got to the US....a vet bring back from WWI...or did it stay in Germany and see service in WWII before captured by an American GI and brought home.? AT least the Unit marking tells us something of it's service. Thank you, Gentleman for your input. Jason
Jason60chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #22
Jason60chev
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
I forgot to say, before, that this old prize fighter of a pistol--with broken nose and cauliflower ear--ought not to be shot, simply in consideration of preserving its serial numbered parts and the value of the investment it would represent. There is a need to scratch the Luger Itch, so you now also seek a shooter rather than create one from this by shooting or refinishing...and then... you'll need a really pretty, collectible one!
Kinda like M1 Garand-itis! Thought about trading one of my 19 M1s for this pistol, but just cannot do it. So I gotta come up with the cash.

Same with 1903 Springfield rifles.....my FIRST love. Bought a beautiful, original, Documented National Match rifle for $3500 in 2009. Put only 20 rounds through it to see how she shot. She lives in the safe now to be admired now and then. Have about the same number of those.
Unread 04-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #23
Jason60chev
User

Gentlemen, Thanks for all of your input. I DID buy this 1912 Erfurt Luger. From what I have found, all of the numbers match except the grip panels..the left side appears to be over-sized as it extends beyond the front of the grip strap......and there is no 2 digit nuber on the toggle pin. The rifling is worn, but I can still see some of it and there is a little pitting toward the breech end. I cycled some ammo through and it functions fine in that regard.

Oh...do the SIZE of the letters of the unit marking pose any significance? They seem larger than others that I have seen.
Unread 04-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #24
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Not really my area, but unit marking fonts and sizes seem pretty willy-nilly. Grip panel is probably a replacement, and not certian about hte toggle pin, but it seems like a good find.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #25
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Unit markings are typical of what was applied 1916 or later. Toggle pin should not be numbered.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #26
Ben M.
User

magazine might be a modern replacement

i see it at about $ 850 usd.
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #27
jmiles13
User

I don't believe the wood grips should be matching to the gun. I read somewhere only an inspectors number was stamped. I could be wrong for this year of Erfurt model. Nice buy for a $1000, IMO. Magazine bottom looks to be aftermarket.

I wouldn't mess with it. Just clean it up and enjoy it. Doubt I'd shoot it either, unless the ammo was a light load for sure.

Now, go have some fun finding a holster, takedown tool and another mag... it's like a historical treasure hunt that has no ending! Good luck.
jmiles13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #28
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

If you wanted a "shooter" well to me that is not.

It looks just like a honest collectible ERFURT to keep as a safe queen.

If you wish to have a real shooter, look for a more recent and mismatched P.08 dated 1941/1942, probably for less money you'd get a better steel to use at the range.
Safe shooting!

Sergio

Tags
1912, erfurt