LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
mackeyms
User

Default New to the site and lugers

Hello All, New to the site and first off thank you to all of the contributors for sharing your knowledge. I am looking to buy my first and likely only luger (sort of like....honey its just a friendly backrub). Too explain, I am mostly just an accumulator/shooter and not a serious collector. That said I am looking to buy a artillery LP08 luger. So I'll sort of outline what I'm looking for and then some questions. I would like to find a "as matching as possible" shooter that can look its age in the $1000 to 1800 range. So here's a few newbie questions 1) for mostly comparable guns what kind of cost difference does the refinishing/reblueing of a gun make, for example, I have seen some refinished guns advertised on the site for the $900 to 1500+ range. What would they be worth in original condition. 2) along the same lines, what are the cost differences between say a gun with matching numbers (except maybe the mag as long as it was period correct) and a parts gun that was put together (reliability concerns?) 3) if you were to recommend a good book of general luger knowledge and lore what would it be?

Thanks in advance for any help, I hope you guys don't get to annoyed with the newbie questions

Mark
(mackey.ms@frontiernet.net)
mackeyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Hey Mark, it's tough to quantify the price differences as outlined, but if you watch prices you will see that an unmolested (matching original finish) LP08 may start in the $2200 range and go up from there. On the other hand, a matching refinished gun will start at maybe $1200 and go up. (But remember that there is refinished and there is REALLY refinished...) An original finish but mismatched gun would probably bring a bit more.
But all of this is dependent on the gun, how badly it was buffed before it was incorrectly re-blued, etc. Lots of variables...
Regarding the function of mismatched guns, there is a thread entitled "Show us your shooter", and it features all mismatched guns that function well, so matching numbers does not necessarily equate to correct function.
I'll let others recommend their favorite books.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 03-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Check to see if you can get a copy of the Geoff Sturgess book "The Borschardt and Luger Automatic Pistols" on DVD (only) from Simpson's. IIRC, they were selling the DVDs separately for a period of time (but they are not listed that way on their website).

John Walter's "The Luger Story" is out of print now, but a good (if dated) overview. So is Fred Datig's book "The Luger Pistol". Both are sometimes available used for reasonable prices.

A collector Luger is as close as possible to it's original factory state. Matching and in original finish.

For many collectors, a mismatched part or refinishing or both take it out of collector status and interest. Count on values at least 40% lower than a collector pistol of similar finish and condition.

Today, a shooter LP08 artillery should be obtainable for $1400, perhaps a little less.

A P08 mismatch or quality refinish should be $1100 or so. If it's buffed to the point of destroying marks or rounding off edges, keep on looking on. I'd personally rather have one in original finish with mismatched parts (perhaps one gun's upper, and another pistol's frame). I have one all matching original finish Mauser s/42 shooter with finish loss and pitting that is a great shooter.
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 03-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
4 Scale
User

While your questions are understandable, it's very difficult to answer the cost questions precisely because there are so many variables and quality of each matters. Re-blue, underlying condition, grips, bore, which parts match, which year (1917 for example is more common and therefore less costly) - all of these impact price.

On artillery Lugers there is a lower quantity of those available compared to some other categories of Lugers, making the hunt for Artillerys tricker. I've been looking for a mismatched or re-blued artillery for months off and on, in your price range, and I'm still looking. I'm trying to get a feel for the market first, before buying to avoid over-paying but also probably have missed a couple acceptable pistols.

My best guess, after looking at a about a dozen recently, is $1,400 seems to be around the lower end for a mismatched shooter with a fair or better bore and acceptable cosmetics, with up to $1,800 or more as pistol quality (all the factors mentioned above) improves. All matching original finish seems to start around above $1,800 with bore, grips and cosmetics impacting price. I.e. an $1,800 all match/original finish might be that, but will seem 'rough'.

On books, one of our most experienced collectors here recommended "Lugers at Random". I found it fairly easy used at around $50 or so and it is excellent. I just bought the Sturgess book and while it is more ($225 if you shop around) it is a wonderful value.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by 4 Scale; 12-02-2021 at 02:14 PM.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 03-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #5
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hope you can find one in person - gun show or a gun store.
One hint I can suggest is to ask about pistols when visiting gun stores and pawn shops.
The often have inventory not on display! Ask ! It helps when you know what you are looking for, too!

A visit to Simpson's is on my own bucket list!
Mac Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 03-07-2016, 05:42 AM   #6
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

mackeyms

In my opinion it depends on what you really want. You say you are not a serious collector but an accumulator/shooter, are you looking for a shooter then? You ask about a good book of general luger knowledge, but on the other end I've noticed that you joined this Forum in 2012 so I assume you are not completely a novice about Lugers.

If it is a shooter that you're looking for I would get a MAUSER 1942 P08 I don't think is that difficult to find one still in good shape and sound enough to use at the range, provided you stay away from heavy loads.

Shoot safe.

Best.
Unread 05-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
mackeyms
User

Hello all, just paid my tuition to Luger University (which ironically was similar to what my tuition was at SUNY Delhi in the late 70's). Let me please say Thank You to all of the members for sharing the knowledge and experience, hopefully I have put it to good use. I will be starting a new thread in the artillery luger forum with pictures please check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0135.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	59084  

mackeyms is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to mackeyms for your post:
Unread 05-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
Eugen
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeyms View Post
Thanks in advance for any help, I hope you guys don't get to annoyed with the newbie questions

Mark
(mackey.ms@frontiernet.net)
Mark, welcome to the forum. I am a newbie myself having just joined last month. I am having a blast with my new found hobby. In my short time here I have experienced an extremely knowledgeable and helpful group of new friends that have gone out of their way to answer my newbie questions. I am sure they will do the same for you.

I have taken advice from many on the purchase of several reference books and have been spending hours reading them to ramp up my knowledge. Be sure to read the FAQs section as well.

I am also attracted to the artillery WWI luger and might look for one of those in the future. Congrats on your purchase

Tags
artillery luger, wanted to buy