LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-08-2001, 02:14 AM   #1
TheRomanhistorian
User

Default Modern Lugers?

Hello, I am almost reluctant to post this seeing as I am a complete newbie and all to guns and all. But ever since I was kid and saw Lugers in all those old war movies I've been infatuated with the darn things. I always thought it would pass and here I am a third year college student and I still love the things. I heard that AIMCO Inc. in Houston manufactures modern Lugers and that they were distributed by Stoeger. Anyone know what the price is on those things these days? I haven't gone to look around at local pawn shops and antique dealers yet (can't purchase handguns till you're 21 in Idaho I'm told...only 6 more months away.) but I think I'd have this guilt as a historian in using a gun with some actual history behind it. If anyone can help me please drop me a line via e-mail or respond to this post. My e-mail addy is: ng9403@uidaho.edu

Unread 10-08-2001, 08:48 AM   #2
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Modern Lugers?

Michael,

Click on "search" at the top of the forum page, then do a search for "aimco". You will find the answers to your questions in the long list of previous discussions on this forum.

Unread 10-08-2001, 09:58 AM   #3
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Modern Lugers?

AIMCO make and distribute a series of stainless steel lugers which are fashioned after the original designs. There is a link to AIMCO in our Links & Resources page, and an excellent article on these particular Lugers in the Owner's Corner under "Jerry" towards the bottom of the list. I can tell you that they are in the $600-$900 price range.

If you are interested in an AIMCO Luger, you are obviously wanting to shoot it, so you should be considering the purchase of a "shooter" grade Luger as well. Many original Lugers, made during WWII and after, which for one reason or another do not qualify as "collectible" grade Lugers, are available for less. I would estimate between $400 and $600.

There are several beneifits to choosing an original Luger, among them, the quality of workmanship and the fact that it is an "original" and has a history. Not to put down the AIMCO Lugers for they are fine weapons in their own right, but many of us choose the original route for our shooters. Mine is a 1918 DWM that probably saw service in both world wars, and extended service with the East German Police until the end of the Cold War. (See picture in Owner's Corner under "Dok").

Good Luck with your search.

Dok