LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
kmichaels90
User

Default New luger owner

Hello all Just purchased my first luger for $600 hoping I got a decent deal. The gun I purchased is an erfurt dated 1916. The barrel,receiver,extrator,and bolt have matching numbers. However the frame and magazine are not matching, the magazine does have the wooden base though. It appears to be in excellant shape with a nice bore and what appear to be aftermarket smooth wood grips. The safety is marked Gesichert im guessing this means safe in german? It is marked made in germany on the left side right above the takedown lever not sure what thats all about, though I have read it denotes the gun was exported right after WWI. I will be looking around for information and would be glad for any input maybe I'll get some pics up later.
kmichaels90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Gesichert is Safe in German (or a close equivelant).
I'm guessing that the frame, not matching, is from a commercial Luger, however it could simply be an export mark. Regardless, $600 for a shooter is not bad at all, and your satisfaction is all that matters here. Any further information about what you have will require some good photos.
Welcome!
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
kmichaels90
User

All I was looking for was a good shooter as collector value doesnt matter to me. I will get some photos up asap. I did get the chance two run two magazines through it w/o an issue.
Unread 03-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
padredan
User

congrats, but watch the ammo you use. It needs to be in the correct pressure range to not do damage. I learned that after i started to fire mine, but no damage was done. alot use the winchester white box, (none nato marked) have fun
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
kmichaels90
User

I was goin to use only federal american eagle. I think its loaded about the same as the winchester white box.
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
kmichaels90
User

I did put another box through it and it seems very accurate at 20-30 feet. I did have a few failures to extract on one magazine I pulled all the shell out and put them back in and didnt have it happen again, so im not sure if its actually an extractor problem or possibly just the way I was loading the mag.
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
kmichaels90
User

Ok I manage to get a few pics now I get to go decipher proof marks. The barre,receiver,bolt and the other two pieces of the toggle,extractor, and firing pin match being numbered 2722. Then the frame,trigger,and takedown lever are marked 42184 a five digit serial number as compared to a 4. The sideplate is not numbered and these were all the serial # locations I was able to find on my particular pistol. The side of the extractor also seems to be marked geladen. This specimen also does not have the last shot hold open feature nor the stock lug.

Proof marks on right side

Made in germany stamping (not sure what this one is about yet)

Serial # and 8.82 stamped on bottom of barrel

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,426 Posts

This specimen also does not have the last shot hold open feature nor the stock lug.

That's weird cause it should have...It certainly must have the hold open well? I think? You can see the hold open pin installation to the left of the right reciever proofs. NO..apon closer inspection it's just a blemish..It's a commercial frame with a Military top.

The stock lug has been ground off cause it came with one. Well..maybe not if the frame is commercial.

5 digit numbers are commercial.

Made in germany is a German export marking to an English speaking country

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
kmichaels90
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
This specimen also does not have the last shot hold open feature nor the stock lug.

That's weird cause it should have...It certainly must have the hold open well? I think? You can see the hold open pin installation to the left of the right reciever proofs. NO..apon closer inspection it's just a blemish..It's a commercial frame with a Military top.

The stock lug has been ground off cause it came with one. Well..maybe not if the frame is commercial.

5 digit numbers are commercial.

Made in germany is a German export marking to an English speaking country
Thanks for the info I was expecting thats what the made in germany marks were from what I had read elsewhere.

Also If the stock lug was ground off someone did a very dang good job as I cant see the slightest big of markings on the backstrap.

I do wish it had the last shot hold open feature but oh well thats what I have my 1911 for.
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
padredan
User

i believe the name for it is "alphabet shooter" it is what it is. and it seems to shoot well. enjoy it. an just"choot em"
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #11
MFC
User

#42184 falls into the 08 Commercial serial# range. It is correct for it not to have a holdopen or stock log. Alphabet commercials are a later variation.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
kmichaels90
User

Went and talked to a gunsmith friend today about my random extraction problem and we went out and fired a few rounds. Seems that for some unbeknown reason if you load the magazine straight up or tilted back it will cause extraction problems, if you tilt the magazine forward while loading no issues. We fired 100 rounds this way without an issue, then tilted the mag backwards loaded it and first three rounds didnt extract. So payday im gonna order myself a mecgar magazine for shooting purposes also gonna get myself a repro loading tool and leather holster.
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

There is a reason troops bang magazines against their helmets before inserting!!!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
kmichaels90
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
There is a reason troops bang magazines against their helmets before inserting!!!
Yeah I guess so I've noticed my ten round mags for my 1911 often require banging against my palm to seat correctly the rounds correctly, had the same trouble with 20 rounders in my ar too so I went back to the 30's
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
kmichaels90
User

So I went and shot her yesterday in 79 rds. I had 2 or 3 failures to extract. Other than that perfect function and my god is that mag. hard to load, so I ordered a repro loading/takedown tool today for $10.57 shipped. I also ordered an extractor spring for $6 shipped hopefully that takes care of my problem. On a sidenote I know its a one in a million chance but what the chance someone has a luger with an erfurt frame numbered 2722 and wants to part with it? It goes to the rest of my luger.
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

This is great news.
May I recommend that you order a couple of aftermarket, (Mec-Gar) magazines and not use your wood bottomed magazine?

Loading it these days may very well split the wood bottom and render the magazine useless as a collector piece. In you first post you mention that the magazine does not match. Are there any markings on it?
I think you may also find that the modern mags a a bit easier to load.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
Douglas Jr.
User

Michael,

As you are going to buy a repro holster and a loading tool, I would also get a new pair of checkered wood grips... just to give it the "right" look. But that's just me. Enjoy your Luger!

Douglas
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote