LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 09-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Andyd
User

Default VOPO P.08 S/38 from 1938

I have bought a Vopo Mauser last week end that looked a little different than the lot of Vopos that I have come across.
I has the differently shaped take-down lever and the Vopo star underneath, still the original barrel but the lower was almost bare of any bluing.

I am used to see Vopo P.08 that were dip blued and from the info that I got from a German collector, those pistols were re-dipped periodically. This one does not have the X that is commonly seen on the Russian captured guns.

It had the upper refinished to a polished blue and I matched the lower somewhat with a rust blue. This one will serve as a shooter and the condition of the barrel makes this one a good candidate for the range.

I have come across little info on Vopo Lugers and wonder if anybody here has a link to further info.

Andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Dan44
User

The takedown lever could be a post war E German replacement. In the referb they sometimes put new parts on.
Dan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Andyd
User

Dan,

I know that this is a typical Vopo replacement part. It has shallow checkering and an even more shallow number stamping.
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Andy, A lot of missing blue under the barrel, might be caused by the removal of importer markings. TH
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
Andyd
User

Lugerdoc,

the whole upper is polished blue. What might look like missing blue is only a reflection. It has German Frankonia marks, and West German proof marks of which some are well hidden. No American import marks.

The Vopo star is underneath the takedown lever and is mostly covered by it. The overall condition is still pretty good, it has been refinished but not ground down too much and even a new Glock would cost me the same, without night sights.

I will take this gun to the range this week end and try it out. I have several different reduced loads with different 124gr bullets.
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Andyd
User

I just got back from trying the Parabellum out. As expected, it does not do well with lead bullets and I think the shallow rifling of the P.08 is not making the gun a perfect candidate for lead bullets. I have also noticed radically changed POI in between different bullets.

The 124 gr Sako FMJ bullets that do well in my 1942 byf are also grouping well in this old lady.

I shot two ISSF targets at 25m with ten rounds each and after a hard week of work had both targets with 86%.

That is good enough for me.