LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 02-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
alterfritz
User

Default Can you identify the year of my Gun?

Well, here is my 9mm Interarms Parabellum. Unfortunately it is really hard to see the markings on the pictures because the gun is so black. I guess it's not blued but blacked . But perhaps that's how they did it in the 1970s?
I bought it last december from an internet auction and paid $1395 for it. From what I see in other auctions it's a decent price. It cam with t a box, original target, stripping tool and two mags, one of which was damaged and is currently with G.T. for repair

Since the markings are hard to read, Idescribe them here.
The serial number is 11.00364x . On the left side of the frame there is a small FBM stamp, theres also a "Mauser Parabellum 9mm" engraved. The right side of the slide shows a Star engraving and it reads "Interarms Alexandria Virgina". The grip reads "Mauser-Werke A.G. Oberndorf a.N." . the top of the slide has an american eagle stamped holding arrows (?)

The safety reads "safe" instead of "gesichert" and the save position is with the lever in the up position (shown unsafe in my pics).

The grips appear to be wood although they sound like plastic when I tap them. I haven't removed them yet.

Can anybody tell me when this gund was approximately made? I understand the 1970s were made into the 1990s so I would appreciate a little narrowing down of the year if possible. I assume these guns were explicitly made for the american market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	4693  

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	4694  

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	4695  

Name:	Picture 015.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	4696  

Name:	Picture 016.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	4697  

alterfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default i don't know how to link but put this into your search engine and

it should give you some good help...

http://www.lugerlp08.com/numbering.htm

this gives a good history of the numbering system
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hi,

Your gun is a model 29/70, it was made around october, 1971. It's the first version that Mauser produced for the Interarms contract and it still shows it's Swiss heritage, a fact that did not please Interarms and that invoked changes to the design that resulted in the production of the follow-up model, the 06/73.

You are correct in your assumption that your pistol was created for the American market. The 'Interarms logo and marking', the 'safe' marking and the American Eagle symbol together with Mauser's in-house FBM proof all demonstrate this.

European versions lacked the AE, FBM-proof and Interarms text and had a 'gesichert' marking, although some guns destined for the European market were reworked into AE/Interarms versions and vice versa.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
alterfritz
User

Thanks guys I appreciate the info
I bought this gun specifically to be a shooter, that's why I wanted a 1970s becasue I understand they are mechanically more reliable than the old guns, I'm not much of a collector. I think when you have something old in your possession, it should still work.
It is kind of fun to shoot with, learning the quirks that come with it, like that malfunction I had recently due to reloaded ammunition and perhaps improving it over time, like the magazine refurbishing G.T. is doing for me with two mec gar magazines. I think it's definitely more fun to have than one of today's standard pistols
alterfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
f0rbidden
New User

Not sure if i want to bring this up, but how many shot is that magazine?
f0rbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

The standard Mauser Parabellum magazine is an 8-round mag, just like the old ones.

It's not advisable to use it with full capacity, the Celidor plastic bottoms are very fragile and will break eventually. Substituting them for MecGars is the best solution.

But the most funny substitutes are the MecGar magazines that were made for Interarms, with a 'Mauser inspired' Interarms logo on the spine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Interarms_MecGar2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	14438  

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

alterfritz,

I have one as shooter too. But mine is a 73 model, made more along the lines of the P.08 frame.

GT redid my mags, putting in a slightly softer spring as I was having feed problems. I recently broke the bottom of one of these, so as vlim says, they are fragile. Both back to GT for aluminum bottoms.

I've found the MecGars work but don't alway activate the hold open. Too soft a mag spring.

I had Hugh re-profile my grips. The Mauser trapezoidal cross section I found uncomfortable in my hand. He made them more like the DWM oval section.

Then Jerry, made me a copy of a Navy Holster for it.

FN
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0010 copy.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	14439  

Last edited by FNorm; 08-08-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I still have most new Mauser factory spare parts available for these "shooters". Also have one new "Interarms" marked MecGar mag (sold by Interarms as spares, when they could no longer get more from Mauser) @$75, new Mauser marked standard BPB mag @$100 and one with wood bottom for one of their commeratives @$150. TH
Unread 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Mauser Parabellum mag quirks

Hello to all, I am currently in a small health plateau that has allowed me some time back in the work shop! Between knee and foot surgeries, I can stand an hour here and there at the lathe, or drill press, etc.... (don't know why I put etc.?? That's the only decent two machines I have!....) Anyway, I digress... The more I repair the Mauser Para mags, the better feel I get for interpreting the little issues that keep them from reliable function... Right now, I'm installing aluminum bottoms for FNorm & alterfritz, and... I'm just a skosh away from pulling the trigger on a new spring order from my design and manufacture source... (expensive, but as I see it, the only cure for most!) The plan is to have eventually, aluminum and bakelite bottom options, and three spring options, standard, (just like original, current GTHQ), heavy, (same as current Mauser orig. equip. but a 1000 time more resilient!!! And, a midway between for the few that fall, well, inbetween.......Even today, I'm fitting the aluminum bottoms on FN's, and have already fitted alterfritz's... just need springs... My run of wood bottoms are progressing nicely, but as I make 50+ in a run, with my current situation, it just takes me forever! But, I really like the guys on the forum, and it appears, at least to me, I'm about the only show in town on these things, I'm really happy to try my best to help out... You guys even got me out shoot'en again! Not shooting any better, just out shooting!.. Thanks for all, best to you, til....lat'r...GT

Last edited by G.T.; 08-09-2010 at 11:15 AM.
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

GT, You may not be the only show in town, but by far the BEST. Keep up your fine "proformance", or perhaps it's time to train one of your kids to take over. It's what's in your head and heart that's valuable, not your legs. You've already touched many of us with your helpful spirit. Thanks, Tom