LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 09-24-2002, 10:11 PM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Question Why Stainless??

Topic line sez it all, why are the current Lugers manufactured in stainless steel rather than...um, I guess, regular steel...does anybody have a real answer?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2002, 10:42 PM   #2
Aaron
Banned

I have often wondered the same thing, and have come up with a couple of guesses. First, stainless saves the cost of blueing. Secondly, these stainless guns are made with investment castings and CNC machines, and it may be that stainless is easier to work with using these procedures. Maybe one of our machinist or metallurgical engineer types can shed some light on this.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2002, 07:30 AM   #3
wterrell
User

Guns are made of stainless because the owners do not take care of their guns. Stainless requires less maintenance.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2002, 08:16 AM   #4
unspellable
User

Stainless is generally more difficult to machine. Note that in the case of a Smith & Wesson or Ruger where you can get essentially the same model in either stainless or blue, the stainless always costs a tad more. A lot of the early stainless revolvers had problems with tool chatter. My guess is that the AIMCO's are stainless simply because it's the current fashion. My distant second guess might be that stainless lends itself better to casting.

As an additional point, I think a large percentage of the cost of a current model firearm these days is the liability premiums the manufacturer gets stuck with.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2002, 09:31 AM   #5
DuaneD
New User

Dwight If you like I will ask Mr Romo of AIMCO. I hope tosee him at a gun Show Oct. 4
DuaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2002, 09:43 AM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
DuaneD, of course, information from The Source would be illuminating. Also, I'm sure we'd all be interested in an update on the .45 .

Heck, I'd be interested in generally chatting him up about making and selling Lugers in the 21st century. It would seem to be such a marginal activity, and yet there seems to be the will and determination to do it. I'm fascinated to find out what is behind this dedication.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote