LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 09-19-2002, 12:37 AM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Post Mitchell Luger Magazines

I purchased a slightly used Mitchell stainless Luger, serial #46XX, dated 1992 under the American Eagle above the chamber. I used to turn up my nose at this model, but when this pistol came along at a very low price I couldn't turn it down. It turned out to be an excellent shooter, completely reliable with all factory loads and my own reloads. It came with a number of magazines of two types as shown in the photo. They all have wood bottoms and black composition followers. However, the upper one has two pins in the wood base, while the lower one has one pin. The upper one has a loading button with concentric circles, while the lower one is plain. The finger holes in the base of the upper mag are smaller than on the lower mag. The upper one has a round opening at the bottom of the loading slot, and the lower one does not. The upper one has three welding spots on the right side, with none on the lower mag. The upper mag will not fit into vintage Lugers, but the lower one works in all Lugers. Can anyone come up with any more info on these mags? I understand that very early mags had plastic bottoms marked with an American Eagle. These bottoms are unmarked.

Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2002, 10:44 PM   #2
unspellable
User

The upper magazine in the photo looks like all of my Mitchell AIMCO magazines. I found them to be excellent and bought several extras for use in my vintage Lugers. can't say why yours doesn't fit in a vintage Luger. Can't say what the lower one is.

The Stoeger AIMCO uses a non-standard magazine that is not interchangable with the Mitchell or vintage magazines. A standard magazine will not fit the Stoeger AIMCO pistol. I haven't tried the Stoeger magazine in a standard pistol.

The lower one is not a Stoeger AIMCO.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2002, 03:35 PM   #3
Aaron
Banned

All my

Mitchell mags of both types shown above will fit in vintage Lugers (have not tried my postwar Mauser yet), but they do not lock into place.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote