LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
borko
New User

Default I.D. and Approx Value of Luger

Hi All!!
I recently inherited a Luger from my Father-In-Law. He obtained the Luger as a gift from his brother who was in Holland serving with the U.S. Army in WWII at the time he received it. I do not know the exact yr. he received it or if his Brother hand carried it back or shipped it. His brother is also deceased, so addl. details can not be obtained. I think the grips are made of some type of plastic. One side has my Father-In-Law's name and the other side has "GERMANY 1945". Prior to his passing my Father-In-Law did tell me that he also had the original grips, however I have not located them to date. A couple of basic weapon photo's:

I have done some amateur research and suspect that this Luger is made up with a ERFURT frame and possibly a MAUSER Receiver & Barrel This Luger has a serial # only on the Frame. The number is 9135 with a 1 directly centered below the 9135. All of the small part in the Frame & Receiver are stamped 35. The bottom of the Barrel does not have a serial # only a small stamped S/42. The side of the receiver where I think the serial # normally is has a small stamped "42". The Chamber is dated "1939". Also, the bottom of the Receiver/Barrel has the witness mark only on the Receiver, none on the Barrel. Photo's follow:

The clip is a fXO with a bakelite or plastic bottom closure that has the left side knob broken off. No serial # on clip. Only 1 clip.

THANK FOR ANY HELP/INFO ANYONE MAY PROVIDE!!!
borko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
Tim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Borko,
Welcome to the forum.
I am a relative novice here, but can give you some preliminary thoughts. This Luger was made up from parts of more than one pistol. The frame and numbered small parts as well as the toggle train are likely all from a 1914 military Erfurt as it has a stock lug. The last known chamber date for an Erfurt was 1918, so the chamber date of 1939 means the reciever was from a much later production pistol. You are correct, as well, that the area on the left side of the receiver above the frame rail where the "42" is should have a serial number. It would if the receiver was Erfurt military. The S/42 on the underside of the barrel is a Mauser code from the WWII era and likely the receiver was re barreled as there is no witness mark on the barrel. The FXO clip is contemporary to the receiver. The front sight has also been altered. The trigger, takedown lever, safety and ejector should be either gold (strawed) in color or look like the finish has been worn off. These look blued, but it is hard to tell for sure from the photos. The grips are too cool. The fact that it has stayed in the family and has been inscribed by the man who brought it back means it carries it's own story. I'm sure others will respond with how much it's worth and probably with corrections to the description above, but it's real value is as a family heirloom. If you wanted to take it to a gun show or shop and turn it into cash, you may get $500 to $600 depending on how it is mechanically. Thanks for posting the pictuers, and please wait until the real experts answer, this is the first time I've answered a question here... Asked about a million, it's a good group of folks.
Tim
The intent of the second amendment was not to allow the private ownership of firearms. If it had been it would have said something like "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Excellent answers Tim... The only think I could add would be that the small "42" that appears on the side of the receiver where the serial number normally appears indicates that the upper receiver (barrel extension) is a Mauser manufactured replacement part. I would presume from the facts shown us in the photo, that this was a military arsenal (probably Mauser) rebuilt weapon.

The grips of course are not original...

Borko, if you manage to uncover the story behind the capture and return of this Luger, Member/Moderator Ed Tinker collects these stories for a book he is compiling about war trophy guns...

Congrats on your possession of this piece of history, and let me join with Tim in welcoming you to the Lugerforum.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

John, I am unsure about the arsenal rebuild aspect. Reason is, that if it was a factory rebuild, they would ahve placed a DWM toggle on it in 1939... Possibly an armorer rebuild, that makes more sense, of 42 parts.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

All of this is pure educated speculation of course, but Ed, the toggle may not have suffered any damage... maybe only the barrel and upper receiver needed replacement....

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote